It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Hacks Gov Site, posts video- Claims to have armed "cyber" nuclear warheads

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This all makes for a good morning sunday news thread and to see what plays out in the next few days/weeks.

One thing comes to mind however, People may have to disconnect there own internet most of the time just to
keep the evil ones out. Yes you should have a firewall but unless you built it and wrote the code for it yourself
you know its not really secure and yes Im talking about the big 3 letter orgs.

Only other thing I would say for self protection. Have food stocked up just incase the system is disrupted.
One day or more with a massive internet outage will shutdown all the inventory systems to stock your local
walmart.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This just sounds like from the video, since Aaron was "killed by the government", Anonynous is now adjusting their tactics and trying to improve the part of the justice system that pertains to them if and when they get caught or hounded like Aaron.

The 'cruel and unusual punishment' they mention in the video is what this is all about. They are talking about the "selective punishment" for hackers or "hacktivists" as they like to call themselves. They are talking about the fact they can and are charged with FELONIES and unusually long jail sentences for basically violating Terms of Service on whatever websites they HACK, which they think is too lofty a punishment.

This has nothing to do with you and me, this is a self-preservation tactic. Anonymous will not help the average citizen. Their current daily activities of being a "hacktivist" does not affect you or I. Just like a poster said on page 2 I think, anonynous should be deleting peoples debt just like the banks got bailed out if they were really here for the people.

I can't believe some of y'all thought they had control over an actual nuke!!!

edit on 27-1-2013 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You'd likely be able to access everything in your own nation, I'd think. My networking courses didn't get to the level of international and internal net structures within other nations. I have no idea there...but it makes sense.

What I think may ruin your whole day though is finding just how critical links into financial points and other 'backbone' type support really is that no one gives a passing thought to.

What Sydney US/EU connection? You know your set up better than I would reading about it from here I'd imagine. What I'd wonder though...were you ever really losing ALL connection outside your nation entirely or just parts of it to make for a headache at the time? How were the Satellite data up/down links operating?

(Those MAE servers are not a U.S. feature either...the same thing exists in points around the globe for the same very necessary reason in making the whole Internet function and stay running. You'd need to add quite a few more sites to turn the lights off on at once ...and several are NOT civilian....but following the same logic on a larger scale? It'd be curtains across the planet if those running the "intersections" agreed to throw out the road closed signs and barricades)

BTW.. I never suggested Anony or ANY outside group could do this in even a dream, for a couple who misunderstood me I think. This was brought up as what the response from Government could quickly be if they TRULY felt threatened. They never have...but we don't get them "over a barrel". lol... They just pull the plug and get the last laugh.

edit on 27-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NickDC202
Oh coincidences sure do rear their heads at the strangest times:

24 January 2013

'Cyber 9/11' may be on horizon, Homeland Security chief warns

CNET News

The head of Homeland Security announced today that she believes a "cyber 9/11" could happen "imminently," according to Reuters. If such an event were to occur it could cripple the country -- taking down the power grid, water infrastructure, transportation networks, and financial networks. "We shouldn't wait until there is a 9/11 in the cyber world," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said during a talk at the Wilson Center think tank today, according to Reuters.

"There are things we can and should be doing right now that, if not prevent, would mitigate the extent of damage." Napolitano was referring to the possibility of Congress passing cybersecurity legislation. Several elected officials have been working to get a cybersecurity law passed for years, but have repeatedly run into road blocks.

Great find on that article. This is probably a government ran black-op with the goal of now getting that legislation passed. I mean think about it for a moment...the internet is basically like the Wild West in the government's eyes and they want to be able to control it just like they control everything else. At this moment they aren't doing a very good job with that so what better way to get the MSM media behind that push than to promote a panic to the public that the country is going to compromised by hackers. Therefore, according to the talking heads, we'll need more laws to prevent activity on the internet. It seems like the perfect storm to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I believe Anon need to do something more effective. The more they do the more the powers that be adept.
Its like a fight the more you lightly strike an opponent the more they adept. It sure would be better to strike hard and in one blow to knock your opponent out. Just a thought

Indisputable

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
Quite a show over at that gov site. A professionally made, dramatic made- for Hollywood 9 minutes of meaningless rhetoric.
But that is not the point here. What anyone walks away with from this viewing is a mental identification of Anon with nuclear war. Even the OP claims this erroneously.
The darkly dramatic music, lenghty War Games nuclear war montage, and meaningless rambling over minutes of footage of nuclear missles; the FILES being named 'warheads', the angry tone despite vague "demands"...
C'mon people. The first thread on this suggested a false flag here to censor the web.
This one is really over the top.

It doesn't seem to me they mean actual physical (or should I say quantum?) nuclear warheads. "nuclear warhead" "nuclear option", etc have become figurative speak for the ultimate, most powerful, most dreadful, yet most effective option. To me, I think it means (legit threat or not) that they have information or capabilities of massive consequence they are set to unleash, and thus, to let chaos reign. Essentially, to figuratively "blow up the system" and let the chips fall where they may. This makes sense, for a vastly inferior force (in this example, Anonymous, etc.) when facing a vastly superior force (world political and military powers), with the capability (supposed) to so-to-speak "reset the system." if your odds are 200:1 against "winning" diplomatically or militarily, then clearing the etch-a-sketch and having a 50/50 shot with the perceived "bad guys" in building a new reality, well, 1:2 is better than 1:200.

That said, I think Anonymous is a tool "they" use and will use. If it's not, then why has the CIA/NSA, etc. Been so slow to get their own version of Anon up and running? Seems like ahuge wasted opportunity...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

This has nothing to do with you and me, this is a self-preservation tactic. Anonymous will not help the average citizen...

I'm not so sure

I have mixed feelings about Anon - I believe that we should govern this country together - as a people - that our laws provide balance and a way for us to work out our differences and provide justice. But if that's no longer possible - where is that tipping point? Do any of us have the ability to recognize it when it comes?

When the federal government went after him—and MIT sheepishly played along—they weren’t treating him as a person who may or may not have done something stupid. He was an example. And the reason they threw the book at him wasn’t to teach him a lesson, but to make a point to the entire Cambridge hacker community that they were p0wned. It was a threat that had nothing to do with justice and everything to do with a broader battle over systemic power.
www.slate.com...

We put our trust in certain people and groups to seek justice - when they instead go after individuals to make an example of them - it's no longer about justice

Tyrants make examples of their citizens - they may as well start hanging people in the town square

I'm usually never on the side of vigilante justice - but there comes a point where you have to wonder what it is you're looking at - and how do we operate from within a system that's no longer fair?

I've been suspicious of Anon in the past - but this really got my attention:
...We appreciate that many who work within the justice system believe in those principles that it has lost, corrupted, or abandoned, that they do not bear the full responsibility for the damages caused by their occupation.

There must be a return to proportionality of punishment with respect to actual harm caused, and consideration of motive and mens rea...

....We understand that due to the actions we take we exclude ourselves from the system within which solutions are found. There are others who serve that purpose, people far more respectable than us, people whose voices emerge from the light, and not the shadows. These voices are already making clear the reforms that have been necessary for some time, and are outright required now.

For remember, we live in a world where the architects of the financial crisis regularly dine at the White House—and where even those brought to "justice" never even have to admit any wrongdoing, let alone be labeled "felons."
greatergreaterwashington.org...

Maybe this is for all of us

I'm really interested now to see how this goes

edit on 1/27/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: brevity :-) yeah - I know

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by cenpuppie

You people need to get a clue.... Anonymous is the gov't.... they're going to kill the internet, they only place we can get real news. THE GOV"T is BROKE!!!!!!

They want you stupid and armless. And hoping that FEMA will come and SAVE you.

maybe the gov finally realised. they cant keep their lies hidden anymore as long as the internet remains as it is..so they need to control the internet....

mind blown

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I call B.S on this one

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I don't think "Chaos" means running around the streets on fire and the electricity stopping. In the present context, I think "Chaos" means a few embarrassed politicians, lawyers and public servants.

The video made a lot of sense, it spoke about how technically there are many many people guilty of what Aaron Schwartz and Kim Dotcom are being prosecuted for.. it is selective prosecution. Great way to enable arbitrary arrest; make everyone a criminal then when you don't like what someone is saying, arrest them for their 'crimes'. I bet everyone has downloaded music and things etc.. It is likely you could be arrested for those crimes if someone wanted you locked up for what ever reason.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Just dropped by the gov website to check it out. Just got myself on another list I'm sure.

I can't stop snickering......looks like they really did it!

Any of the MSM covering it?

edit on 26-1-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

Yes it was on CNN yesterday. That's where I first heard about it,

They never meant actual nukes. Its in the cyber or virtual sense. Hacking is their speciality not launching nuclear missiles.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I won't hold my breath, seems anonymous is more talk then walk when it comes to well... just about everything. So I suppose a new Faux video is in order, spitting threats while doing nothing to back them up. If it actually happens maybe they'll get some respect from me until then their a bunch a college kids with too much time on their hands.
edit on 27-1-2013 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I won't hold my breath, seems anonymous is more tlak then walk when it comes to well... just about everything. So I suppose a new Faux video is in order, spitting threats while doing nothing to back them up. If it actually happens maybe they'll get some respect from me until then their a bunch a college kids with too much time on their hands.

I agree. If they weren't so overly dramatic with their nuke talk and could actually do something other than a temp DOS, they might be worth paying attention to. The nuclear metaphor is just absolutely stupid. Just say what they want to do specifically already. That's what us adults do in an adult world.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Also disproportionate prosecution? These people do know that leaking confidential items entails a extremely bad treatment of such individuals... I mean they do realize their are people in 'the bay' for this right? Or are they that naive?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I see what youre saying but anything anonynous does will affect a normal person like you or I, the same way a new president affects a normal person like you or I.

We won't be able to measure the difference. It won't affect our daily lives. Yes the government is ever-overreaching, but what, of substance, has anonymous done since they've come to our rescue that has made a difference in your day-to-day life??

So the question is... why should we believe this will affect us THIS TIME?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Anon hits a lot of front-facing sites. I doubt they have hit very many secure sites, especially within say, the CIA. They've never produced a real gem of data from anywhere.

Personally, I think they are full of bluster. And they are ignorant as well - right, the government is just going to reform their entire legal system because you threatened to drop info on people. What dreamland are you living in if you think that will happen?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I understand what you're saying - I do. Believe me - I have my doubts about a lot of this

But something tells me Anon has some new allies - new support...

And maybe an actual PR person :-)

I have so much I could say about this - but for now I'll just say - we should never underestimate the power of words - or the effect of citizen activism - even from the shadows. I haven't followed Anonymous as closely as all that - so, I might be wrong - but this is one of the first times I've heard them say they acknowledge they're operating from outside the system - and that they get that there are consequences for that. They don't sound like teenage avengers so much right now - and for that tip of the hat to the people who are working from the inside - they got a bit more respect from me

Seemingly small acts over time can have very big effect on everything - even if we can't see it from where we are in the moment. If this stunt does nothing more than redirect attention back to where the attention belongs - good on them

I believe the system was wrong in this case (and others). But - we (ordinarily) can't fight city hall...

Like I said - will be curious to see how this all plays out - over time

edit on 1/27/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Seemingly small acts over time can have very big effect on everything - even if we can't see it from where we are in the moment. If this stunt does nothing more than redirect attention back to where the attention belongs - good on them

Yes it is the small acts that accumulate over time that do end up changing our lives, and someone should definitely help refocus our attention. But how many people will actually be informed of this matter? We can no longer depend on our media to do their job, so it has become very difficult to reach the masses with important information. We are left with alternative media that the MSM has labeled as cooks or the negatively view-ed conspiracy theorists. Yes, we may be able to refocus the MSM's energy and focus back to that which favors and is for the people, but that seems to be generations away. Sorry my friend but it's very hard NOT to be cynical regarding this type of hype.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Sorry my friend but it's very hard NOT to be cynical regarding this type of hype.

I know

hopefully you'll regroup - get a second wind...I have :-)

keep the faith six67seven

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Somehow I think they are part of our Gov anyway! Anyone know that the nuck's are in a closed system and not even connected to any internet out there. And even if the internet was down or turned off, some still would have it by using a satellite.

So I would like to know is what they are actually doing to keep everyone's attenion on this. Java was a ploy for people to shut down or deactavate for awhile so something else could crawl in your system. Something is being planned, gun control will never happen; Too many people have them!

N. Korea talking crap; like we don't know they actually work for China! Would not be surprised if Iran and Russha were in with them too! Since the US is in way over its head now, time for another 9/11 only in a bigger playing feild! So only action left is to use Isreal as the fall guy!

Last is why use a nuck for your point? Now who will judge them? Talk is cheap so might as well let the cat out of the bad and show us the papers they so-call have. Whats the worst thing that could happen? Aliens are real and we also have a base on the moon hanging out with them!

Or lets say the anti-christ is here and doing well, Looking at the bright side of things, Heaven is just around the corrner for us good juys! Plus or - some solar flares along the way!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join