It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Older Sci-Fi Movies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Not really old to me,but I feel the younger generation has missed out on the flower child sci-fi movies and more.

I will start with Silent Running,a movie based on a ship with the last natural reserves of plant life from Earth.

In a future where all flora is extinct on Earth, an astronaut is given orders to destroy the last of Earth's plant life being kept in a greenhouse on board a spacecraft

www.imdb.com...

The epic Planet of the Apes and sequels,the old ones.

An astronaut crew crash lands on a planet in the distant future where intelligent talking apes are the dominant species, and humans are the oppressed and enslaved.

www.imdb.com...

Logan's Run

It's 2274 and on the surface, it all seems to be an idyllic society. Living in a city within an enclosed dome, there is little or no work for humans to perform and inhabitants are free to pursue all of the pleasures of life. There is one catch however: your life is limited and when you reach 30, it is terminated in a quasi-religious ceremony known as Carousel. Some, known as runners, do try to escape their fate when the time comes and it's the job of Sandmen to track them down and kill them. Logan is such a man and with several years before his own termination date, thinks nothing of the job he does. Soon after meeting a young woman, Jessica-6, he is ordered to become a runner himself and infiltrate a community outside the dome known as Sanctuary and to destroy it. Pursued by his friend Francis, also a Sandman, Logan and Jessica find their way to the outside.

www.imdb.com...

Soylent Green

In 2022, Earth is overpopulated and totally polluted; the natural resources have been exhausted and the nourishment of the population is provided by Soylent Industries, a food made by plankton from the oceans. In New York, when Soylent's member of the board William R. Simonson is murdered apparently by a burglar at the Chelsea Towers West where he lives, efficient Detective Thorn is assigned to investigate the case with his partner Solomon "Sol" Roth. Thorn comes to the fancy apartment and meets Simonson's bodyguard Tab Fielding and the "furniture" (woman that is rented together with the flat) Shirl and the detective concludes that the executive was not victim of burglary but executed. Further, he finds that the Governor Santini and other powerful men want to disrupt and end his investigation. But Thorn continues his work and discovers that the oceans have exhausted and the bizarre and disturbing secret of the ingredient used to manufacture Soylent Green.

www.imdb.com...

A Clockwork Orange

Protagonist Alex is an "ultraviolent" youth in futuristic Britain. As with all luck, his eventually runs out and he's arrested and convicted of murder and rape. While in prison, Alex learns of an experimental program in which convicts are programed to detest violence. If he goes through the program his sentence will be reduced and he will be back on the streets sooner than expected. But Alex's ordeals are far from over once he hits the mean streets of Britain that he had a hand in creating.

www.imdb.com...

A Boy and His Dog

A post-apocalyptic tale based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society where the old society is preserved. The daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then plan to be rid of him.

www.imdb.com...

And,of course,2001: A Space Odyssey

"2001" is a story of evolution. Sometime in the distant past, someone or something nudged evolution by placing a monolith on Earth (presumably elsewhere throughout the universe as well). Evolution then enabled humankind to reach the moon's surface, where yet another monolith is found, one that signals the monolith placers that humankind has evolved that far. Now a race begins between computers (HAL) and human (Bowman) to reach the monolith placers. The winner will achieve the next step in evolution, whatever that may be.

www.imdb.com...

I know there are more to list.

But from my generation (I was born in 1964),you can see were we are coming from.
The fantasies and inspiration was planted into our little brains then,as if on purpose.
edit on 25-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
All great movies, the only ones I haven't seen are Soylent Green and Silent Running which you kindly named in another thread. I myself was born in '78 and hold a lot of appreciation for older films and as a huge Sci Fi fan I'll be watching the two I have not seen. Cheers

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Oh yay! One of my favorite all-time subjects. Let's not forget:

THX 1138 [1971]

George Lucas’ first sci-fi theatrical foray remains one of his best works--and one of the stranger roles for Robert Duvall. George Lucas adapted this, his first film, from a short he made at University. THX 1138, LUH 3417, and SEN 5241 attempt to escape from a futuristic society located beneath the surface of the Earth. The society has outlawed sex, with drugs used to control the people. THX 1138 stops taking the drugs, and gets LUH 3417 pregnant. They are both thrown in jail where they meet SEN 5241 and start to plan their escape.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I will definitely check some of them out...

Can I add Dark Star: Dark Star to the list?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I like the original When The Earth Stood Still,This Island Earth,Earth versus The Flying Saucers,
The original The Thing,Them,to name a few.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Classics, all of them! I love that "brand" of sci fi . That and post apocalyptic future films

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Oh yay! One of my favorite all-time subjects. Let's not forget:

THX 1138 [1971]

George Lucas’ first sci-fi theatrical foray remains one of his best works--and one of the stranger roles for Robert Duvall. George Lucas adapted this, his first film, from a short he made at University. THX 1138, LUH 3417, and SEN 5241 attempt to escape from a futuristic society located beneath the surface of the Earth. The society has outlawed sex, with drugs used to control the people. THX 1138 stops taking the drugs, and gets LUH 3417 pregnant. They are both thrown in jail where they meet SEN 5241 and start to plan their escape.

That is one movie I don't remember for some reason.
Thank you for sharing that.
I will check it out.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
I will definitely check some of them out...

Can I add Dark Star: Dark Star to the list?

You can add whatever you please.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I like the original When The Earth Stood Still,This Island Earth,Earth versus The Flying Saucers,
The original The Thing,Them,to name a few.

Oh,yes.Mamabeth you are reaching deep into my sci-fi.
Many Saturday afternoons watching those old movies.
Especially the Godzilla ones.
Around the same time,I was reading all the Jules Verne and H.G Wells books.

Thank you.
edit on 25-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Escape from New York [1981]

In 1997, when the US President crashes into Manhattan, now a giant max. security prison, a convicted bank robber is sent in for a rescue.

John Carpenter; starring Kurt Russell....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I liked THEM!

And

Angry red planet....

When I was a kid back in the days before the internet and Dinosaurs still roamed the Earth I would sit with my mother on Sat or Sun afternoons watching sci-fi theater on Channel 5 in Los Angeles. I miss her and those days

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The Ice Pirates

In the far future water is the most valuable substance. Two space pirates are captured, sold to a princess, and recruited to help her find her father who disappeared when he found information dangerous to the rulers. A real Space Opera with sword fights, explosions, fighting robots, monsters, bar fights and time warp.

Mary Crosby--yum (forgive me, ladies). And Robert Urich.
edit on 1/25/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What was that movie on Mars were some guy crashed and was trying to survive. There was a native of Mars and he had to take pills to survive and breath?

BTW: Thank you for sharing those movies.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Night of the Comet [1984]

...a 1984 horror/science-fiction film directed by Thom Eberhardt and starring Catherine Mary Stewart, Robert Beltran, and Kelli Maroney. It has elements of such diverse genres as science fiction, horror, zombie apocalypse, comedy, and romance. The film was voted number 10 in Bloody Disgusting's Top 10 Doomsday Horror Films in 2009.

Catherine Mary Stewart--ARF! (forgive me again, ladies).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

In 1997, when the US President crashes into Manhattan, now a giant max. security prison, a convicted bank robber is sent in for a rescue.

Oh,yes I remember that movie.
Now that I have time on my hands and total access to a ton of movies,I shall be entertained for awhile and will not get the honey do list done.

We had the Mad Max movies then too,didn't we?

Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Robinson Crusoe on Mars ?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

John carpenters "The Thing" from about 1984 much better than recent version.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Oh,yes I remember that movie.
Now that I have time on my hands and total access to a ton of movies,I shall be entertained for awhile and will not get the honey do list done.

We had the Mad Max movies then too,didn't we?

Thank you for sharing.

Yes, I considered mentioning the Mad Max movies--but then I had the notion that surely everyone had seen those. Same with the Alien series and Blade Runner....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

John carpenters "The Thing" from about 1984 much better than recent version.

Yeah, there was also a 1950s version (1958 or so?). Scared the living bejeezus out of me when I was a kid. Saw it at the drive-in the year it came out and couldn't sleep for two weeks. Still, though, the John Carpenter version was better than that one, too....

Edit:
No, I was wrong: 1951. I guess I didn't see it the year it came out. Had James Arness in it--before he became Marshal Dillon on TV....

The Thing from Another World [1951]

Scientists and American Air Force officials fend off a blood-thirsty alien organism while at a remote arctic outpost.

edit on 1/25/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Robinson Crusoe on Mars ?

YES!
Classic old b sci-fi.

Thank you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join