It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we build new cities at sea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

As the world faces up to the threat of rising sea levels, could building new cities entirely out at sea offer an alternative way of living? That is the idea being tested in the Netherlands where huge swathes of land already lie below sea level. Architects are creating prototype neighborhoods of sustainable floating houses which could withstand future flooding.

An interesting idea, for countries who have limited land area. I'm not sure if our tech has hit the point to make this viable, but it would be interesting to see. With apartments in New York going in the millions, what about having one with a 360 ocean view at half the price and transport to and from the floating city to New York.

There's video if someone wants to embed it, I have no idea how LOL

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I really don't see it more viable then living on land.You are not going to be totally safe anywhere on the planet.
But I would think that the sea would not be the safest place no matter how big you build a floating platform.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
why not just buy a houseboat?

I don't think city at sea would work but then again maybe it would.. what would happen though during like storms and stuff wouldn't the city feel like it was having huge earthquake then shake apart?

It sounds like it would be super expensive to keep up and wouldn't really be worth it..

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
That's what I've been wondering. Is it just a pipe dream like domed cities, or have we reached the point where we could do it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
In the future maybe, but there's LOADS of room left on land. They just make us believe theres not so they can introduce new laws and hike up the price of land.
Get on google earth and just take a look at all the land that is NOT used, there's masses of it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Are you old enough to remember this movie?I think it could work.
This was 1972.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

OMG I love that movie

So sad I cried like a baby when I first watched it (I was about 8).
That is one movie deserving of a up to date remake.
Those likkle robots tending the forests in space for all time

edit on 25-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Man I loved that movie. Totally forgot about it. Now I'm going to have to go watch it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I know,right?
Before r2d2 and c3po we had huey and dewey.
I loved those little 'bots.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Then all the sewer can be dumped right into the sea. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

What is this film called?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

All the fish poo in the sea already

I like the idea, even better If you can sail the city to nicer climates in the winter

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Di0nysis

What is this film called?

It's called Silent Running.

The loner crew member of a spaceship harbouring Earth's last nature reserves goes renegade when he is instructed to jettison his beloved forests and return home. Accompanied only by three robots, he ponders the fate of his last pocket of nature and the murders of his fellow crew members in this far-looking speculative film.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by rickymouse

All the fish poo in the sea already

I like the idea, even better If you can sail the city to nicer climates in the winter

Fish poo is natural, the medicines we use aren't natural. The soaps we use aren't natural, neither are our perfumes. Our poo is pretty toxic nowadays.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Thanks, I've not seen it. Sounds interesting, I'll add it to my movie marathon on Sunday

new topics

top topics

join