It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, Got a Lap top problems, hope you can help.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I know a little bit but I'm not that savvy when it comes to the inner workings of PC's.

I can't download updates. I keep getting a 80080005 error code. I looked to fix the problem but didn't get nowhere with any of the solutions. Then I stumbled onto this. But it's modifying the registry and I'm kind of iffy in this. What do you think?

To work around this problem, modify the value of the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows
-
To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
-
In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems
-
By default, the Windows entry in the subkey has a value that is similar to the following (all on one line):
%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16
-
Right-click the Windows entry, and then click Modify. The Edit String dialog box appears. In the Value data box, locate SharedSection, add 512 to SharedSection, and then click OK.
-
The newly changed Windows entry reads as follows:
%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

Now when I go there I already had a third value added. Do I still add the "512"? or Do I replace the third value with the "512"

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
On the forum list, at the very bottom there is one called computer help. Try posting there too.

Gs

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This may help

microsoft errors

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Dont mess with the registry if you are not 100% on what you are doing.

When did it start and what happened right before it did? Key questions.

Anti-virus/spyware active?

Good restore point?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhaal
This may help

microsoft errors

those 2 words are redundant

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

1) Disable UAC (Control Panel -> User Accounts)

2) Restart your computer

3) Download Windows update agent (Save it dont run it) even if its already there on your computer Right click and Run it as administrator.

After install, restart. Turn back UAC.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by bhaal
This may help

microsoft errors

those 2 words are redundant

I did say may help.

Also i should reread the original post before diving in with which now seems a useless answer.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
Now when I go there I already had a third value added. Do I still add the "512"? or Do I replace the third value with the "512"

First thing to do when you go to Regedit is click on "File" at the top and then click on "Export". Type in any name and save it to your desktop. You've just backed up your registry in case you mess something up. If something does get messed up, all you have to do is double-click on that saved registry file to restore your registry. Or you can go back to Regedit and "Import" that file to restore.

Next, I would just add the 512 first. If that doesn't work, then I would change the third value to 512 and see if that works. The only other option to fixing this problem when I looked into it was re-installing Windows, unfortunately.

edit on 25-1-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Before you edit this setting the Windows Shared Section will look like this:

Windows SharedSection=1024,3072

It's telling you to add "512" at the end of this number. So it should look like this:

Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512

But be careful in editing registry keys. They can be very tricky and cause more problems for you in the long run

Hopefully this helps you out.
edit on 25-1-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

I tried getting the updates and it gave me the 80080005 error code. I had a couple of registry errors. I fixed them and did the back-up. Scanned for malaware twice with both Avast and Ad-Aware and got nothing, I'm supposedly clean. One site suggested I modify the ActiveX controls, I doubt it did anything. I used the microsoft Fix It button in the trouble shooter. Did nothing that helped.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

It's already like this

Hope it's not a security issue that I post this.

Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,768

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bhaal

I had tried the tool before. Didn't do anything worth while. I'm running the machine as the admin and I get access denied when giving commands. This is getting frustrating.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Hope it's not a security issue that I post this.

Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,768

It's not a security issue. But it should read:

Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512

So, backup your registry like I showed in my first post above, then change it to 1024,3072,512 and let us know if that fixes your problem.

edit on 25-1-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yes...yes they are.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Install System Mechanic and get the full version of it .

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Still wouldn't work. Thanks for the help anyway. Been thinking of switching to Ubuntu for a while now. Might be a good time to do so.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Sounds expensive

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Still wouldn't work. Thanks for the help anyway. Been thinking of switching to Ubuntu for a while now. Might be a good time to do so.

When I looked into it after you posted, many people couldn't get any fix to work other than re-installing Windows. If you're going to do that, might I suggest setting up a dual-boot system so that you have Windows and Ubuntu both installed and you can choose between the two at startup? That's what I am doing at present.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

That's a great idea thanks. Since you're using Ubuntu. I'd like to ask you a question. What are the cons for Ubuntu? I only hear good things about it. There must be a couple of itches.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

What are the cons for Ubuntu? I only hear good things about it. There must be a couple of itches.

I haven't used it very much, but the major con for me is not being able to play my Windows video games. There is "Wine" for running Windows programs in Ubuntu, but it's not feasible for video games right now.

I'm a huge gamer, so I stick to mostly Windows. I have Ubuntu installed to mess around with it and try to learn it, but haven't had much time to play with it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join