It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I have a a fair quantity of everything I need, but I try to scoop up more when I am out or when I plan on going to the range. Right now up here it has been about 3 degrees outside so no shooting until maybe next week when we rebound into the 40's. But even at that with the current state of affairs in NYS I am hesitant to even take anything I own out in public for fear of rogue Johnny Law man throwing me into the rear of a squad car because we still don't know whats legal now and whats not. It really sucks because this time of year there are no lines at the range due to having to walk through snow etc.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Non-compliance to this is 100% American. As it is clear that these Gun Grabbers are Traitors to the American citizens.

[color=skyblue]“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~~George Washington

edit on 25-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: Color

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Dont they still have a shoreline to rebuild? Priorities Cuomo. Priorities.

Cuomo is nothing more than just another lying sack NWO crony who is fully aware of the Sandy Hook anomalies and probably all the rest of the false flag shootings. Funny how a jury recently decided there were at least seven shooters at Columbine but the MSM doesn't consider that newsworthy.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MeritocracyNow

Cuomo is nothing more than just another lying sack NWO crony who is fully aware of the Sandy Hook anomalies and probably all the rest of the false flag shootings.

We all know this isn’t about preventing mass shootings or curbing violent crime. Anyone who still believes that is willfully ignorant because the facts disprove the effectiveness of strict gun laws.

The real problem, both in discussions of mass shootings and in discussions of gun control, is that too many people are too committed to a vision to allow mere facts to interfere with their beliefs, and the sense of superiority that those beliefs give them.

Any discussion of facts is futile when directed at such people. All anyone can do is warn others about the propaganda.

The reality is that countries (and states within the US) that have stricter gun laws have MORE violent crime and MORE murders.

Britain is a country with stronger gun control laws than the United States, and lower murder rates. But Mexico, Russia, and Brazil are also countries with stronger gun control laws than the United States -- and their murder rates are much higher than ours.

Israel and Switzerland have even higher rates of gun ownership than the United States, and much lower murder rates than ours.

Even the British example does not stand up very well under scrutiny. The murder rate in New York has been several times that in London for more than two centuries -- and, for most of that time, neither place had strong gun control laws.

New York had strong gun control laws years before London did, but New York still had several times the murder rate of London.

It was in the later decades of the 20th century that the British government clamped down with severe gun control laws, disarming virtually the entire law-abiding citizenry. Gun crimes, including murder, rose as the public was disarmed.

Meanwhile, murder rates in the United States declined during the same years when murder rates in Britain were rising, which were also years when Americans were buying millions more guns per year.
Thomas Sowell

Sorry for the big quote but the info is important! The numbers don't lie...the stricter the gun laws the more violent crime. Obviously Cuomo and others are aware of these stats, so the question is why are they still moving forward with this? What is their real agenda?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This law can be challenged due to its constitutionality already a .Join Class Action Lawsuit is been filled so I can only imagine that all those Gun Owners refusing to register under new law are behind the law sue.

This is only the beginning before the higher courts will have to take the issue as in 2010 The supreme court already ruled that gun laws within state can not infringe on the second amendment.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I find nothing in the law that speaks to registering weapons... (See edit below)

The law:
bans magazines that carry more than 7 rounds
tightens the ban on "assault" rifles
and works to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable
background checks for ammunition

Passed by the state Legislature and signed into law by the governor last week, the act tightens a ban on assault-style rifles, calls for background checks on ammunition purchases, outlaws large-capacity magazines and tries to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people deemed a threat.

Source

Edit: It DOES require people to register their "assault rifles". I guess that's what the stink is about.

I've been reading over these threads of "outraged gun owners" and looking up the laws. I've learned that 99% of what people are bitching about isn't even happening.

edit on 1/25/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Edit: It DOES require people to register their "assault rifles". I guess that's what the stink is about.

I’m glad you edited your post.

I guess registering “assault rifles” is OK with you?

The expanded ban on assault weapons would broaden the definition of such weapons, banning semiautomatic pistols and rifles with detachable magazines and one military-style feature, as well as semiautomatic shotguns with one military-style feature. New Yorkers who already own such guns could keep them but would be required to register them with the state.
NYTimes

So YES, there is something to get worked up about.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Assault rifle is a misnomer with these laws. It's crap, the first time it went around, we all had to "downgrade" our weapons (undo personal mods) to stay in compliance with the law. And they are expecting people to do it again? Piss on that, people are not happy about it. The list of "assault" characteristics is crap, a good chunk of them have nothing to do with the function of the weapon, but have more to do with personal preference and comfort.

Oh god no! That gun has a thumb hole in the stock, it's an assault weapon! Ummmmm no, it is a semi automatic rifle.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I find nothing in the law that speaks to registering weapons... (See edit below)

The law:
bans magazines that carry more than 7 rounds
tightens the ban on "assault" rifles
and works to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable
background checks for ammunition

Passed by the state Legislature and signed into law by the governor last week, the act tightens a ban on assault-style rifles, calls for background checks on ammunition purchases, outlaws large-capacity magazines and tries to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people deemed a threat.

Source

I've been reading over these threads of "outraged gun owners" and looking up the laws. I've learned that 99% of what people are bitching about isn't even happening.

edit on 1/25/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Oh yeah enlighten us with your almighty wisdom then. Please do as I myself have combed over the law and 99% of the complaints are right there in black n white. Maybe you should stick to the threads you know about, It's pretty sad when this has been in action for a few weeks now and you honestly had to go and correct your original wording because you saw you were wrong, but You wanna have a chuckle at the people pulling their hair out because they know what is included. Your pitiful.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Originally posted by seabag
I guess registering “assault rifles” is OK with you?

No. It's not. My point is that so much of what people are bitching about isn't even true. I don't agree with the term "assault rifle" and don't think even semi-automatics should be banned. And I DEFINITELY don't think people who already own them should be required to register them.

I just wanted to bring what the law ACTUALLY said to the thread's attention. It's not about registration of all firearms, as many posters here seem to think it is.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

And in two years when the pantywaste libs decide to outright ban them, they got a convenient list to go by.
I am glad I took the time to learn gunsmithing, I can buy a decommissioned gun without the magical receiver, bring it into my shop for two days, and presto, functional gun
Registration my balls.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Originally posted by jaynkeel
It's pretty sad when this has been in action for a few weeks now and you honestly had to go and correct your original wording because you saw you were wrong...

Yes, I was wrong when I said there was nothing about registration in the law. When I discovered my mistake, I corrected it. What's sad about that? Would you rather I would have stuck with my story, even though I made a mistake?

Maybe you should stick to the threads you know about

I know a lot more about firearms that you may think.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
:Fly on the wall. :But, but, but, this is not supposed to be how it goes!!! The people serve the government, not the other way around. How dare these low life's not bow to my ideals!!! Who do they think they are? They only have the rights I give them!! :sarcasm off. Liberal crap always backfires,always.

You guys make me proud to be American. Americans do not bow to tyranny. End of discussion.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
It's pretty sad when this has been in action for a few weeks now and you honestly had to go and correct your original wording because you saw you were wrong...

Yes, I was wrong when I said there was nothing about registration in the law. When I discovered my mistake, I corrected it. What's sad about that? Would you rather I would have stuck with my story, even though I made a mistake?

Maybe you should stick to the threads you know about

I know a lot more about firearms that you may think.

No whats sad is you walk into a thread with your holier than thou attitude and were mistaken by the basics that have been plastered all over the place. Thats sad. I am not doubting that you know about firearms I am just saying don't come in here claiming people don't know what their bitching about. Question for ya. Do you live in NYS and own an ar 15 or other newly classed assault rifle or handgun ? And are you effected in any immediate way by the new law just passed? I do apologize if I am being a bit crass nowdays but I am right smack in the middle of this non sense and it very much effects me and my family directly, I know in threads in the past you have made me have an ah ha moment where I saw something from a different point of view that if I wasn't rattled I wouldn't have so even though it has come out derogatory I ment no ill towards you, tense times indeed and a lot of chaffed wounds being rubbed up against.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
For anyone not already knowing of the link put up by NYS here it is with their question & answer format that leaves a lot to be desired to say the least.

www.governor.ny.gov...

I can't link to it or copy paste from that link but look under banned features under question 4, rifles, banned features. Semiauto rifle with a detachable mag and a list of everything that includes them.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Exactly the reason I have been a memeber for some time but rarely post anything. It is the truth that will set you free.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I do not live in New York, so I am not affected by this particular law.

I don't believe that the majority of people in this thread (or some others I've seen) have actually read the laws. They get their information from right-wing and NRA websites and then come on here and spread the propaganda as fact. And THEY don't admit it when they make a mistake. They just leave to go join another thread and complain about something that's not even true.

I understand you being upset about the law. I don't understand your desire to be so aggressive toward me, even after I admitted my mistake.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I have been stockpiling for years. I am ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I do not live in New York, so I am not affected by this particular law.

I don't believe that the majority of people in this thread (or some others I've seen) have actually read the laws. They get their information from right-wing and NRA websites and then come on here and spread the propaganda as fact. And THEY don't admit it when they make a mistake. They just leave to go join another thread and complain about something that's not even true.

I understand you being upset about the law. I don't understand your desire to be so aggressive toward me, even after I admitted my mistake.

Like I said in your original post you came off like you know more than the people directly impacted, and your laughing attitude when most of us facing this problem think it's anything but funny. For us in NYS though we are living it, it impacts us, you basically have nothing to lose by it, and as I have said already a good majority of threads and posts by people are reciting what they are getting from the site I referred a few posts ago, not a newspaper article. And I already apologized for jumping on your back, it just seems there are a lot of people high on their horse on this site claiming to know everything and your post came off as one of those. So once again sorry if I came off harsh, but these are our freedoms we are talking about on the line here, generations of law abiding citizens being steam rolled in the middle of the night by shotty legislation and people claiming they know everything, so yes I am a little high strung and uptight lately.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join