Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

US' standing in the wolrd equals her power

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This article in NYT, I think clarifies quite a bit what's happening in the world, with trespect to the US.

I think it's a good point that the US power in large part lies in the ability to persuade and lead the rest of the world, something that Bush and Co don't want to and simply can't do.

I have been struck by how many foreign dignitaries have begged me lately for news that Bush will lose. This Bush team has made itself so radioactive it glows in the dark. When the world liked Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, America had more power in the world. When much of the world detests George Bush, America has less power. People do not want to be seen standing next to us. It doesn't mean we should run our foreign policy as a popularity contest, but it does mean that leading is not just about making decisions - it's also the ability to communicate, follow through and persuade.

If the Bush team wins re-election, unless it undergoes a policy lobotomy and changes course and tone, the breach between America and the rest of the world will only get larger. But all Mr. Bush and Dick Cheney have told us during this campaign is that they have made no mistakes and see no reason to change.

new topics

join