It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones, Beware: United Nations Investigates Obama’s Targeted Killings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Drones, Beware: United Nations Investigates Obama’s Targeted Killings

United Nations inquiry will include the MQ-9 Reaper, shown in Afghanistan,
Photo: U.S. Air Force

After years of warning that President Obama’s targeted killing program flirted with lawlessness, the United Nations has announced it’s investigating the centerpiece of the U.S.’s shadow wars worldwide.

The inquiry will be led by Ben Emmerson, the U.N.’s special rapporteur for human rights and counterterrorism. It’ll focus on most of the places that the U.S.’s armed drones and elite special-operations forces operate: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia; as well as in the Palestinian territories, indicating that Israel’s targeted attacks on Hamas will be a subject as well.
Read more : Drones, Beware: United Nations Investigates Obama’s Targeted Killings

Well, isn't that interesting. It's about time for an investigation even as to the plans of what was in mind about US citizens. However, the UN questioning? Hmm, let's see how this turns out...

"What say you ATS?"

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

thats nice but who is investigating the United Nations for their crimes? i got time.
news.antiwar.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
So what if they find him guilty of anything? What will they do about it? Could you imagine any other nation trying to arrest the U.S. president for crimes? Love or hate our president I doubt anything will ever come of this. If so George W. would already be in prison for war crimes.

They can investigate until their hearts are content but nothing will be done about it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
So what if they find him guilty of anything? What will they do about it? Could you imagine any other nation trying to arrest the U.S. president for crimes? Love or hate our president I doubt anything will ever come of this. If so George W. would already be in prison for war crimes.

They can investigate until their hearts are content but nothing will be done about it.

Very true.

If nothing else, maybe it might awaken a few more Americans to what is happening.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Very true.

If nothing else, maybe it might awaken a few more Americans to what is happening.

Yes, hopefully brining attention to the ills. UN probably has something else in mind - "Oh, we're concerned" hah.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The real issue for me is the "rules of engagement" that declare all males in proximity to the targeted individual to be enemy combatants, and the complete non-discussion of their families and children present that aren't considered "innocent victims" or even collateral damage.

Once upon a time, the Church Committee reported on government sponsored assassinations resulting in EO's by Ford, Carter and Reagan banning government sanctioned assassinations, including contractors working for the intelligence services. Of course, that doesn't mean these activities stopped, they just became extremely covert. Well, those days are gone since the world changed after 9-11 and at least domestically, our government is free to overtly assassinate enemies of the state (combatants).

As one poster pointed out, the rest of the world has little power or authority to do anything about the war crimes of US presidents, although, there are some countries that GW Bush & "His Dickness" (Chaney) don't dare travel to as private individuals.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Plus the NDAA factor, where American citizens have been put on death lists, targeted and killed without the benifit of being arrested, tried and convicted before execution.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I usually despise the UN just like every other centralistic entity, but in this case I actually appreciate the attention this draws to the UAV issue.

In my opinion UAVs (as a weapon delivery system) should be ostracized, just like anti-personnel mines.
They are dishonourable weapons and should have no place in modern armed forces.

My country is currently negotiating with Rheinmetall Defence Electronics to equip our Luftwaffe with a fleet of UAVs and, being inanimate objects, UAVs are not considered "troops" and thus somehow circumvent the military restrictions enacted after WW2.
I come from a military family and support our armed forces, but I have a really bad feeling about the path we're about to take with this technology.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

They are that.

Also smart bombs used against tribesmen carrying a rifle on horseback is a bit cowardly too, but the old saying that 'All's fair in love and war' still holds true.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

AS much as I despise the Tyrant 0bama, the UN and pound sand.

How about WE the People impeach him.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
So the UN is trying to make it look like they haven't been in bed with the US for so long that they have matching bedsores? This is new. Or maybe this is what they call "counterintelligence".

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by ColCurious

They are that.

Also smart bombs used against tribesmen carrying a rifle on horseback is a bit cowardly too, but the old saying that 'All's fair in love and war' still holds true.

Archers were once thought of as cowards fighting at a distance, submarine delivered torpedoes were once considered terribly unsporting too.

Not giving the enemy any chance of defending himself or harming you is a good thing.

As previously mentioned the issue isn't the technology its the rules of engagement by which its employed.

- Is it ok for the state to just decide for individuals to be put on a 'murder when convenient' list?
- is it ok for the state to murder said people without regard to the innocents killed alongside them?

Those are the questions. Its either ok or it isn't. Either way the technology of the bomb delivery mechanism is irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

So have they ever retracted a Nobel Peace Prize? I wish I could say Obama was a joke. But what he really is, is lying, thieving, murderous thug who is usurping our founding fathers, perverting the office of POTUS with all the executive orders, down grading Congressional authority, & I could go on.

He and almost all 535 Congresspersons are complicit.

America we don't have term limits but we need to vote out every incumbent. EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM. SORRY EVEN THE GOOD ONES.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
So the UN is trying to make it look like they haven't been in bed with the US for so long that they have matching bedsores? This is new. Or maybe this is what they call "counterintelligence".

Exactly what I was thinking.

Waiting for more developing info on it.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The UN will always be a toothless dragon as long as the Security Council exists. Much too easy for a few nations to block progress in either direction. Voting in the General Assembly only please and let the UN be just what it should be. The United Nations.

top topics

join