Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Who is the God of Freemasonry?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I am continually amazed at the misunderstanding of this subject. In masonry, we refer to the Grand Architect of the Universe in prayer. He is called God, Heavenly Father, Lord God, as well. The problem comes when someone thinks He is a different God than Christians refer to.

Each individual mason comes to masonry with his relationship with his creator firmly intact. We as masons, don't ask him what name he ascribes to his creator. We feel that is none of our business. But, and this is a big but, we also feel that no matter what name is used to describe God, it is still God. The one and only creator of all that is and will be. The single omnipotent being that exists and made everything.

Now in some religions they teach that only "their" God is the true God. That's all well and good, until you meet someone else who claims that THEIR God is the true God. Then you get what we call disagreement. And over something that could never be proven no matter how strongly a person believes.

So while there are many great things to fight about, who's God is better is the silliest one of all. Just accept that Mine is, and move on.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Me.

I get beer. Duh.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

It's funny because the original Freemasons did not worship the Christian god. They worshipped the relationship between the self and the universe. I don't know where you got your information from, but it is historically inaccurate.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Um, I got my information from.......freemasonry. Where did you get yours?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

they call her Lucy.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

that would be obama. his hair is turning grey from the work load.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

You got your information from modern Freemasonry, or traditional Freemasonry? There's a huge difference.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

It was a rather nice video, though...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

So while there are many great things to fight about, who's God is better is the silliest one of all. Just accept that Mine is, and move on.

Why is it silly? How can I ignore God, who is the only one, when He tells me it is my obligation to bring others to the right path? Are you trying to tell me that He is silly?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

You are more educated in this subject than I am. Didn't the traditional Freemasons worship the relationship between mortal and divine rather than practice self-degradation as an expression of reverence for a distant deity?
edit on 25-1-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Me.

I get beer. Duh.

I see ANY freemason threads, I already know you're up in here setting folks straight.

What's up Augustus!?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
In Biblical Times... As Well As In The Present... There is mention of "Holy Ground".
If In fact Freemasonry serves GAOTU... What Then Is The Earth To Them? And Do They Take Over The Universe Too?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
I see ANY freemason threads, I already know you're up in here setting folks straight.

What's up Augustus!?

Because my God, Samuel Adams (the Brewer, not the Patriot), said it is my obligation to remind the thirsty masses why they have no adult beverages.

edit on 25-1-2013 by AugustusMasonicus because: BEVERAGES 2:1 "Why has thou forsaken me beer, O Lord?" and the Lord replied, "Thou hast drank too long of the sweet tea and hath the palate of a child. Goeth now and tryeth a Zima or a Wine Cooler and returneth whenst thou has imbided of something other then Lipton." And networkdude drank the sissy drinks as the Lord commandeth and he was ill.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I often believe that myself; that the teachings of Freemasonry were handed down by beings of a different time....Not to say that there is anything wrong with the sound moral code instilled in Masonry; but I rather enjoy the more esoteric side of it myself...People like Leonardo da Vinci, and his 'connections' into the Mystery Schools; Plato, and Aristotle, Alexander the Great, etc.

I don't think that Freemasonry of the past is based off of the Christian 'God'; after all, there are so many parallels to other esoteric societies..

But don't expect my opinion to be worth much in this thread; I'm not considered a Mason. Reading the link in my signature would clear it up a bit. I think they were handed down by Atlantis and what it stood for before they descended into despotism, and the Mystery Schools, and later Rosicrucianism, Freemasonry, Hermetic Order, and etc, sprang from them after the Roman Catholic Church got involved trying to control the realm of thought and belief.

masonic.wikidot.com...

Boaz was the name of the left hand, or north pillar, that stood at the porch of King Solomon's Temple. It signifies "in strength," or in a fuller literal rendering, "in Thee is strength." Like the other of the two pillars which stood at the porch of the Temple, Jachin by name, this pillar was highly ornamented; but more important was its emblematical import. Gazing upon the Temple in all its splendor and beauty and perfections, one might naturally transpose the significance of this pillar into the words: "O Lord, thou art mighty, and thy power is established from from everlasting to everlasting." It is in this emblematic symbolism that "Boaz" has such an important place in Masonry. Biblical origin of the name Boaz…

masonic.wikidot.com...

Is the right-hand pillar facing eastward, that is, on the south, that stood at the porch of King Solomon's Temple. Dividing this name into syllables, we find the first syllable is Jah, the name of Jehovah in poetry; while the word (iachin), means to establish, therefore linking the two together we have, "With God's help to establish."

I like to think of it as a nice example; to be truthful I think there are some parts of the Bible that are talking about a waaaaaay different thing than what most people think it is...Ergo, the Temple of Solomon, and mainstream Christianity are the farthest thing from two peas in a pod...

www.deepertruth.com...

This is a rather nice piece; supposedly, I have been unable to confirm it, this gentleman Richard Cassaro, is or was a Freemason..

To be honest, I much prefer his opinion of things either way, than a lot of the Anti-Mason crap that comes out..

en.wikipedia.org...

The Perennial Philosophy (Latin: philosophia perennis), [note 1] also referred to as Perennialism, is a perspective within the philosophy of religion which views each of the world’s religious traditions as sharing a single, universal truth on which foundation all religious knowledge and doctrine has grown.

Which is why it is stupid to argue about who's god is better or more real...You believe how you need to shape your life, and I will shape mine...It's a good philosophy of the Mason's in my opinion to at least somewhat incorporate that into their lodge by accepting any belief in a supreme being, from any religion.

By the end of the 19th century this idea was popularized by leaders of the Theosophical Society such as H. P. Blavatsky and Annie Besant, under the name of "Wisdom-Religion" or "Ancient Wisdom".[2] In the 20th century it was popularized in the English speaking world through Aldous Huxley's book The Perennial Philosophy as well as the writings of a group of thinkers now referred to as the Traditionalist School. In contemporary discourse it designates a worldview that is opposed to the scientism of modern secular societies and which promotes the rediscovery of the wisdom traditions of the pre-secular developed world.
edit on 25-1-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have always believed that one of the biggest problems with society is from different cultures trying to carve up God into many beings and using their part of the being as the reason to hate another culture. The fact that most of the world's religions often lead to there being one supreme being, often follwed by demi-gods, saints, or whatever they choose to call them, should be enough of a commonality to inspire some sense of one human race under one supreme being. I believe that all religions have at least part of it right and just as much of it wrong as the other religions. It is the human ego that keeps them from reaching out to the other religions to share information, thoughts, ideas, and beliefs that keeps the human race always at war and always short of enlightenment. From my understanding of freemasonry, all religions are welcome as long as they have a belief of one supreme being. That is the cause of friction between freemasons and other groups that choose to exclude many men based on whether or not they are willing to convert to one specific belief. It is through the free sharing of ideas, and beliefs as well as morals that freemasons try to become better men, better citizens, better people.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

You got your information from modern Freemasonry, or traditional Freemasonry? There's a huge difference.

Perhaps I don't know very much. I am taking my teachings from the Freemasonry I belong to. The one Chartered in the 1700's. If you are referring to some version from before that, I am afraid you will have to bring much more than an opinion of what they taught. Scholars have been searching for definitive proof of the fraternity from pre-1600's for a long time and have come up with very little.

If your version of Freemasonry worships something other than the one omnipotent creator of all, then it's very possible you have been getting your info from a very, very wrong source. Please correct/enlighten me if this is incorrect.

And to set this right, we as freemasons pray and worship to the religion/God of our choice, Freemasonry itself does not worship. We say prayers at different times and elude to God in many parts of the degrees.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The Freemasons are not what they used to be. They have modernized their ideas, sacrificing esoteric meaning for a more practical approach to their utopian agenda.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observor

Why is it silly? How can I ignore God, who is the only one, when He tells me it is my obligation to bring others to the right path? Are you trying to tell me that He is silly?

Ignore God? My goodness, you must be very gifted at misconstruing words. My point was and is, it's silly to fight over who's God is better, or more correct. Even if you believe they are different beings, you have no way of finding out, so any argument will end with an epic fail on both sides.

God is only silly when he has had a few beers. Other than that, he is usually very serious.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Could you spell out what part of the ritual changes since the formation of the UGLE? Or are you talking about way before that?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

If it's a reference point you require, then I suggest researching the progress of Freemasonry around the birth of modern science.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join