It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad is the Flu season this year?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well, I was about to head out the door to my old High School to see about getting my SAT scores. Texted my mother to let her know that I'd be stopping by their house and she told me that school was closed due to the number of people down with the Flu. According to her, there are 175 students, and 10 teachers out with the flu. I've never seen the school close due to illness. It's a town of around 360, but the school district is rural and takes up a large chunk of the county. The total student population (elementary, middle school, and high school) is probably around 830. According to this link absentee rate is at 21%. In the 13 years (kindergarten-12th grade) that I attended there, that never happened.

Anybody else seen schools closing due to illness lately?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I've got the damned flu.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Sadly, here in my neck of the woods in southern GA we have nothing going on for the last few flu seasons, been mild, this year we started with what was advertised as a bad flu season in November when people started to get sick, to be nothing more than a bad cold going on it lasted about 3 weeks when you got it and we all end up on antibiotics due to infections of sinus and me ear also the congestion was bad, but no flu.

Then in December a stomach virus hit most of us but it only lasted two days and then back to normal.

Still no flu.

Now the stomach virus is supposed to be linked to the norovirus and is going on right now and spreading.

My daughter got it in the ER in the hospital were she works as a nurse and gave it to all of us, she said that is the worst thing going on right now, but flu is just few cases.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Whooping cough if pretty high up there....it lasts about 3 months.... probably 2 with antibiotics.

I got whopping cough, im glad im an adult, for children it could be fatal.

My mouth is bitter from eating 100s of Fisherman's Friend lozenges....

Oh yeah, i couldn't smell anything for the last 3 weeks.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I've got the damned flu.

There there Beezer..............everything will be ok.

youtu.be...

The flu has worked out pretty well for me so far OP.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

This is one of our worst flu seasons with variations that we are not accustomed to. I have seen cases where many people who took the flu shots came down with the flu more so than in the past. It's really bad nationwide. Your town seems to be making every possible precaution by making sure that those who are sick, stay home.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hey, I hear Guam is safe! At least is was earlier in the month..... The CDC seems a little behind on their updating since I got this from their site today.

It's looking sick out there. Eeeek!

Centers for Disease Control - Flu Activity & Surveillance

Hey Beezzer, tell us how bad this one is, since you're suffering from it. On a scale of sniffles to 'Captain Tripps' (Remember The Stand?) where would you rate it?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Hey Beezzer, tell us how bad this one is, since you're suffering from it. On a scale of sniffles to 'Captain Tripps' (Remember The Stand?) where would you rate it?

Depends on who you ask..

The missus would call me a whine-baby because she suffered from it while taking care of our youngest who brought it home. 3 days later and they are better but I am suffering on a Herculean scale. I may die. I keep avoiding stepping into the light just to have yet another hot toddy (I dose my "thera-flu" with scotch)

I barely have the strength to post. . . . . . *gasp*
edit on 25-1-2013 by beezzer because: spelling because of my fragile state

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

1 Tsp Honey.
3 Cloves.
1 Cinnamon stick.
Hot water.
Big Splash of Scotch + another big splash of Scotch..

Not sure if it actually works, or if I just don't care after I've had a few.

Get well soon, mate.

Aha. I see you are already aware of the elixir.

edit on 25-1-2013 by BritofTexas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The news says it's bad, but I don't see any or it around here. I eat well and don't bother worrying about it. Haven't had the flu in over a decade. It seems a chunk of people get it most years. Some people rarely get it. No sure if it's diet or genetics overall, but will stay away from the shot and keep eating well.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Thank you my friend!

Just to add, no-one in our family got the flu shot this year. We get sick, mild flu, then we're fine. 3 days, start to finish.

Go figure.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Thank you my friend!

Just to add, no-one in our family got the flu shot this year. We get sick, mild flu, then we're fine. 3 days, start to finish.

Go figure.

3 days start to finish doesn't sound like the flu.

Did you get tested positive for the flu...or are you just calling what you had the flu?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Oh No! A fellow Rabbit may be in dire straights and in danger of succumbing to a human virus? Quick! Put the Hare-Net into action and call out the reinforcements! This calls for action, indeed!

(Dons BL-IV Bunny-Suit to start working the problem in earnest)

Hang in there! I'm sure a solution will come in time! Have some high proof carrot juice while you try and endure. It sounds perfectly dreadful, to be sure!

edit on 25-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Thank you my friend!

Go figure.

3 days start to finish doesn't sound like the flu.

Did you get tested positive for the flu...or are you just calling what you had the flu?

Wife is a nurse and while we haven't gotten tested, what we are suffering from has been verified as the flu. I will cough on this post and you can have it tested.

edit on 25-1-2013 by beezzer because: posting fail due to "flu"

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's been touch and go, but I think I avoided death by a "hare".

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

With your wife being a Nurse, didn't they make her get the Flu shot?

I never get the shot either although my wife does. She's sick, I'm not.

It does make me wonder if we are heading for the same problem with the Flu as we have with Super Bugs after giving out Anti-Biotics like they were M&Ms.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

With your wife being a Nurse, didn't they make her get the Flu shot?

I never get the shot either although my wife does. She's sick, I'm not.

It does make me wonder if we are heading for the same problem with the Flu as we have with Super Bugs after giving out Anti-Biotics like they were M&Ms.

I won't say documents get "pencil-whipped". . . . . . . . .

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Beez, here's what you need. 1 coffee cup of hot water, 2 spoons of honey, squeeze contents of 1 whole lemon, add bourbon, stir and drink, that should clear you up.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wife is a nurse and while we haven't gotten tested, what we are suffering from has been verified as the flu. I will cough on this post and you can have it tested.

No disrespect, but your wife being a nurse doesn't mean anything.

There is no way to determine if you have the flu or not without a test. And if it was over in 3 days, that would suggest it was not the flu.

This is the problem with this years flu season, everyone saying they have the flu when they get the sniffles. Even the CDC numbers they are reporting are not "flu" numbers...they are "influenza like illness" numbers. Only about 30% of those are actually being tested positive as influenza.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
Beez, here's what you need. 1 coffee cup of hot water, 2 spoons of honey, squeeze contents of 1 whole lemon, add bourbon, stir and drink, that should clear you up.

In all honesty, the nausea it keeping me away from the booze. In fact, I'm rocking the house with pepto, water and dry toast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join