It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Reveal Too Much on Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I was recently asked to friend a friend on facebook,I respect and admire the friend
so I did what he asked.I have been amazed and surprised by how much personal
information that people post there.
Even my own son has publically broadcasted information that others shouldn't know.
He has posted where he is living and who all are living there.I was shocked to
see his marriage license application was posted as well.It clearly shows everything
including my husband's full name! Trust me if his dad knew that he posted that online
he would be furious.
I wonder what people are thinking when they post pictures of their children,grandchildren,
family members...Anyone can copy those pictures to their own computers,I know,because
I did copy a couple to mine.I told my friend that I did because I wanted to make sure it was
okay with him.If he didn't feel comfortable with me copying them,I would have deleted them.
People even post maps of places where they have been,lived and currently live.When TPTB
finally come after us,they will only have to check out facebook to track everybody down!

edit on 25-1-2013 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
yeah, their are big mouths.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Some just don't realize the dangers of internet until it happens to them.

Main reason most(teenage) do this is to get attention, some older generation like to put their grandchildren up to show love, but not everyone in the world is perfect and sane.

What happens on the Internet, STAYS on the internet. Probably forever.

*don't forget to black out you license plate on your car when taking pictures of it)
edit on 1/25/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Agreed...
It's only purpose for me at this point is to keep in touch with family who live a distance away. Tis the only way I see my grandbaby growing up...

Aside from that, the more I read the horror stories of privacy issues, the more I have withdrawn. Especially if your account becomes compromised they ask for photo ID??? Impossible as hubby and I share a Facebook but not a drivers license.

Damn site should be renamed " I SPY".

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

edit on 25-1-2013 by natalia because: Meh mind always changing

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

When TPTB finally come after us,they will only have to check out facebook to track everybody down!

I guarantee you that such information is readily available to anyone willing to invest their time without the need to go onto Face Book. Be reassured however, that the scenario you mentioned will not materialize. But for privacy sake, you may want to let that individual know that he may not want to advertise his life like that because he may be violating others privacy while doing so.

edit on 25-1-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well its meant to be people being people. Facebook isnt a dictatorship and crime doesnt happen because of them. criminals will find ways. its just when people go into detail on there i find it personally to be too much info. if i wanted to know what they do every second, id ask them.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I understand that,my son was recently married in mexico and pictures
posted online was the only way I could see their wedding.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Could have e-mailed them, probably a bit safer. I think only one of my pictures is actually on the internet, from grade 8 when the teacher uploaded to the school website back in 1999.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I agree but would the add the caveat "by agreeing to post anything in the first place".

It is just something that makes absolutely no sense to me. Why the hell would i want anyone i don't know to know my business? Why would i want to "friend" someone i have never met? (and am highly unlikely to ever do so).

I hate all social media in that respect though. Twitter is even worse - you like Jimmy Choo shoes? Well congratulations, i can sleep easy now........

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
A couple of years ago, I accepted several students as "friends" on facebook. Since I rarely post anything, I didn't think it would be a big deal. They wouldn't see anything inappropriate from me, anyway.

I will never forget, one night I was on facebook and one of my students posted as her status: "Home alone, Dad at work until 11:00 and Mom's at the beach. Gimme a call." I then went through her account...she had her phone number AND address listed.

I called her and told her how dangerous what she had posted could be....she just laughed. So I then called the Dad.

Her account got deleted the next day.

We really need to teach our young children what not to reveal. They are far too trusting and naive. I honestly think it should be a required course in school, how to stay safe online.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
A couple of years ago, I accepted several students as "friends" on facebook. Since I rarely post anything, I didn't think it would be a big deal. They wouldn't see anything inappropriate from me, anyway.

I will never forget, one night I was on facebook and one of my students posted as her status: "Home alone, Dad at work until 11:00 and Mom's at the beach. Gimme a call." I then went through her account...she had her phone number AND address listed.

I called her and told her how dangerous what she had posted could be....she just laughed. So I then called the Dad.

Her account got deleted the next day.

We really need to teach our young children what not to reveal. They are far too trusting and naive. I honestly think it should be a required course in school, how to stay safe online.

Great job taking action. Unfortunately we've all been young and dumb and now a days kids don't realize what they are really exposing.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
OP...first I agree 100% that people express waaaaaaay to much on FB. Second the TPTB are not coming after us. But sure if you do something illegally then yes they could use FB to track your actions.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I just called over at my son's place and told them to remove that
marriage license off their facebook account or I would tell his dad.
I checked back on facebook and it has been deleted.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
You don't say..

I totally agree.

I hate facebook.

It should be used as a way to stay in communication with family only.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Its satire but, probably way too close to being the truth.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
People reveal enough on Foozebook to let me know (without joining) that they are sad and have few real friends.

Gossip nonsense rubbish get a life.

I find it hard to take people seriously after they mention they use Foozebook.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I wonder how you can cancel your facebook account?
If anyone knows I would appreciate any help.My son
and his new wife are upset with me for asking to have
their marriage license removed from their profiles.I was
being rude asking them to remove it.

I just cancelled my facebook account.
edit on 25-1-2013 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I wonder how you can cancel your facebook account?
If anyone knows I would appreciate any help.My son
and his new wife are upset with me for asking to have
their marriage license removed from their profiles.I was
being rude asking them to remove it.

I just cancelled my facebook account.

I was gonna say to post the vid I posted above on his facebook page and maybe then, he'll get the message. Now that you've deleted your account, you probably can't do that though.

Oh well, you could always E-mail him a link.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

From what I've heard you cannot really cancel your Facebook account.

It will appear gone, but you're just hiding it from yourself.

The moment you change your mind it will just pop up again.

From documentaries it appears there are currently two choices.
One is to stay off the grid, and to only check emails once a month or so.

The other is to give a lot of information all the time, and to become so visible that one actually becomes paradoxically invisible by disappearing into a crowd through sheer banality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join