It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benefits of Cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I'm not saying I believe it all but here are some studies.

1. — Smoking improves human information processing

– Higher nicotine cigarettes produce greater improvements [in information processing] than low-nicotine cigarettes

– Nicotine can reverse the detrimental effects of scopolamine on performance

– Smoking effects are accompanied by increases in EEG arousal and decreases in the latency of the late positive component of the evoked potential

Data from:
0574. University of Reading, Department of Psychology (England). Warburton., D.M.; Wesnes, K. “The Effects of Cigarette Smoking on Human Information Processing and the role of Nicotine in These Effects”

2. Smoking improves motor performance

Data from:
0530. London University, Institute of Psychiatry. O’Connor, K.P “Individual Differences in Psychophysiology of Smoking and Smoking Behaviour”

3. Smokers in general are thinner than nonsmokers, even when they ingest more calories

Data from:
Numerous studies, but only two are listed below:
0885. Kentucky State University. Lee. C.J.: Panemangalore. M. “Obesity Among Selected Elderly Females In Central Kentucky.” FUNDING: USDA 0942. University of Louisville. Belknap Campus School of Medicine. Satmford, B.A.; Matter, S.;

Fell, R.D., et al. “Cigarette Smoking, Exercise and High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol” FUNDING: American Heart Association.

4. Smokers have less plaque, gingival inflammation and tooth mobility than nonsmokers

Data from:
Veterans Administration, Outpatient Clinic (Boston). Chauncey. H.H,; Kapur, K.K.; Feldmar, R S. “The Longitudinal and Cross-Sectional Study of Oral Health: in Healthy Veterans (Dental Longitudinal Study)

5. Smokers have lower incidence of postoperative deep vein thrombosis than nonsmokers

Data from:
Guy’s Hospital Medical School (England). Jones, R.M. “Influence of Smoking on Peri-Operative Morbidity.”

6. Hypertension (high blood pressure) is less common among smokers

Data from:
0146. Shanghai Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases. Chen, H.Z.; Pan, X.W.; Guo, G. et al. “Relation Between Cigarette Smoking and Epidemiology of Hypertension.

7. Hypertension (high blood pressure) and postpartum hemorrhage are lower in smokers

Data from:
0045. University of Tasmania (Australia). Correy, J.; Newman, N. Curran, J. “An Assessment of Smoking in Pregnancy.”

Site/Source

Guess this explains how Oregon will "prescribe" cigarettes.

edit on 25-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

That's about right....

Zero benefits

ETA

OK now there is something, the OP was blank before.
edit on 25/1/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by resoe26

That's about right....

Zero benefits

Accidentally clicked submit.
My bad.
Apparently there are some benefits........?
Not saying I believe it though

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
6. Hypertension (high blood pressure) is less common among smokers

Data from:
0146. Shanghai Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases. Chen, H.Z.; Pan, X.W.; Guo, G. et al. “Relation Between Cigarette Smoking and Epidemiology of Hypertension.

7. Hypertension (high blood pressure) and postpartum hemorrhage are lower in smokers

Data from:
0045. University of Tasmania (Australia). Correy, J.; Newman, N. Curran, J. “An Assessment of Smoking in Pregnancy.”

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't wait to read these studies in particular when I get home in a few hours. Posting to bookmark the thread.

Also, 5 looks interesting too.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The negative effects FAR outweigh the positive. That being said, I am a smoker, and I wish I would have NEVER started.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman
The negative effects FAR outweigh the positive. That being said, I am a smoker, and I wish I would have NEVER started.

quite a bit of smokers paradoxes though.
I smoke as well.

I also know quite a few friends that have had grandparents that smoked thier entire lives, dying at thier 90's. Seems if you start... then quit... You are more likely to reap the consequences than if you keep smoking.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
found this interesting

Carbon Monoxide May Alleviate Heart Attacks And Stroke - Carbon monoxide is a by-product of tobacco smoke. A report indicates very low levels of carbon monoxide may help victims of heart attacks and strokes. Carbon monoxide inhibits blood clotting, thereby dissolving harmful clots in the arteries. The researchers focused on carbon monoxide's close resemblance to nitric oxide which keeps blood vessels from dilating and prevents the buildup of white blood cells. "Recently nitric oxide has been elevated from a common air pollutant . . . to an [internal] second messenger of utmost physiological importance. Therefore, many of us may not be entirely surprised to learn that carbon monoxide can paradoxically rescue the lung from [cardiovascular blockage] injury." The pharmacological benefits of tobacco are nothing new.

Smoking Prevents Rare Skin Cancer - A researcher at the National Cancer Institute is treading treacherous waters by suggesting that smoking may act as a preventative for developing a skin cancer that primarily afflicts elderly men in Mediterranean regions of Southern Italy, Greece and Israel. Not that smoking should be recommended for that population, Dr. James Goedert is quick to assure his peers. What is important is not that smoking tobacco may help to prevent a rare form of cancer but that there is an admission by a researcher at the National Cancer Institute that there are ANY benefits to smoking.

Smoking Reduces The Risk Of Breast Cancer - A new study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (May 20, 1998) reports that carriers of a particular gene mutation (which predisposes the carrier to breast cancer) who smoked cigarettes for more than 4 pack years (i.e., number of packs per day multiplied by the number of years of smoking) were found to have a statistically significant 54 percent decrease in breast cancer incidence when compared with carriers who never smoked. One strength of the study is that the reduction in incidence exceeds the 50 percent threshold. However, we think it important to point out that this was a small, case control study (only 300 cases) based on self-reported data.

Source

There are also a few on this website that discuss the benefits of smoking for pregnant women....?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
and don't forget that smoking makes you look cool as well

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Nicotine isn't the problem, it's all the additives that go with it in the cigarette.

599 other things make up a cigarette apparently, that is the stuff that causes you harm, including....

Ammonia: Household cleaner.
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons.
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber.
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid.
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas.
Cadmium: Used in batteries.
Cyanide: Lethal poison.
DDT: A banned insecticide.
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals.
Lead: Poisonous in high doses.
Formaldehyde: Used to preserve dead specimens.
Methoprene: Insecticide.
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics.
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs.
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India, in 1984.
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element.

Those electronic cigarettes are the best thing for smokers, pure nicotine, no cancer causing chemicals.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Nicotine isn't the problem, it's all the additives that go with it in the cigarette.

599 other things make up a cigarette apparently, that is the stuff that causes you harm, including....

Ammonia: Household cleaner.
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons.
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber.
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid.
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas.
Cadmium: Used in batteries.
Cyanide: Lethal poison.
DDT: A banned insecticide.
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals.
Lead: Poisonous in high doses.
Formaldehyde: Used to preserve dead specimens.
Methoprene: Insecticide.
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics.
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs.
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India, in 1984.
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element.

Those electronic cigarettes are the best thing for smokers, pure nicotine, no cancer causing chemicals.

What about those American Spirit Cigarettes...
They say "All Natural/No Additives" on the pack. You think maybe its a lie?
tasty cigarettes nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
and don't forget that smoking makes you look cool as well

Not as cool as jude law in Alfie though.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

I started when I was 19 because someone told me Fonzie smoked...years later I found out he didn't

Love a fag don't wanna stop yet

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

maybe the reason that smokers have been observed to have these benfits is due to attitude - they have after all heard all the scare stories and seen countless icky pics on ciggie/baccy packs and gone "yunno, f### it".

a belligerent attitude to lifes possible woes and deciding not to worry about them could be key for some.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
So smoke em if you got em?

Why is it all the smokers I know (being an ex-smoker myself) all have bad teeth if gingivitis isn't a problem? LOL

Sorry simple observation tells me the harm outweighs the good, especially the potent ones from Big Tobacco...

What are you a Tobacco farmer? Thank you for Smoking Shill? LOL

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Just about anything will have some benefits. But if the negatives greatly outweigh the positives, then citing the positives still doesn't justify the behavior.

I'm sure a study could find some positive benefit for using meth...that doesn't mean that everyone should use it because one or two positive things were found...because the negative effects are so much greater.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yay! Cigarettes improve your life! Sounds great except for the terrible diseases and early death.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
Just about anything will have some benefits. But if the negatives greatly outweigh the positives, then citing the positives still doesn't justify the behavior.

I'm sure a study could find some positive benefit for using meth...that doesn't mean that everyone should use it because one or two positive things were found...because the negative effects are so much greater.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I've looked into growing organic tobacco before. Japanese have far less health problems with cigarettes than US, and I guess they don't add 3000 chemicals to it and radiate the tobacoo, though Rockefeller changed that as of late with Fukushima.

The corrupt governments heap on so many issues that it seems childish to get a campaign to overturn their tobacco monopoly industry, but its really important and not childish, many many folk die from this, and are enslaved to buying their product when you should be able to live in a true free market system, with tons of organic things, where you could buy 1-3 smokes when trying to quit.

They have no right to control this at all. And alot more they have zero rights to. They are but servants.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I do smoke but i wont delude my self en.wikipedia.org...
NIGHTSHADE family DEADLY POISION. ok every one who thinks niucotine is good for you go get nic gum or patches use all teh patches at once or chew the whole pack of gum and you will be DEAD and it pure nic in that stuff.
Heck i tryed both and got one heck of a buzz as the patch and gum both deliver massive amounts fast
you smoke its not good for you in any shape form or manner .Quite trying to justfi your lack of will power.
I admit i dont have the will to quite and wile i may live to 85 ((my grandfather did smoking two packs a day and my dad does and hes still kicking as well. If i quite i just mite make it to a hundred as my familys long lived .
no matter what way you cut it you are shorting your life.
funny if it was illagle i wouldnt smoke then lol ooo the irony I guess tahts why so many things are illegal for people like my self that have a hard time controling there own habits .
ovesly making it illegal wont work over all though .the flip side is making say drugs legal would ru=educe the cool factor just look at amberdam and how well it has worked there . low drug adiction

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

Yeah, I smoked for 27 years until I quit 13 years ago in 2000. The one thing I will give you is that I could concentrate and solve problems better when I smoked than I can now. From the time I quit my mind has been in a fog and it never lifted. But my lungs are great now compared to back then!
edit on 1/25/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join