It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Treasurer uses 'bodyline' to increase anti-Pom sentiment and push Australian Republic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I start talking another language about 9pm on a Saturday night, over here we call it triplicate.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
reply to post by HelenConway

Helen, we really dont hate the English. But over here it is a national sport. It is called P*mmy bashing and it has been here along time. Actually I have ancestors from Wiltshire and Hampshire so it's all only in fun.

I know all about Australia - trust me, I have lived there for many years.

I think many Australians do actually hate the English / British.

They used to say to me ' you Poms killed the aboriginals' and I used to say to them ' listen mate my ancestors stayed in England [ not quite true .. anyway] it was your ancestors who were the 'poms' who did x y and z '

Then they looked sort of stunned with realisation - I mean the sort of people that say things like that are frankly not thinking things through.. they were descended from the 'poms'

Maybe not so much now - Australia is very asian these days.

Do you know how many times people used to tell this joke

' where do poms hide their money
Answer: under their soap..'

I mean how is that funny or even accurate ?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Most of my family came out here after the English tried to massacre the Irish with the Potato famine.
I guess that's another reason to dislike the English, actually I take that back. Because if there wasn't a potato famine we could still be in Ireland ( No offence to the Irish) and sweltering in 8 degree weather.
Actually I like the Irish and the Scottish and if my brain could hear quick enough to understand what they are saying the Welsh, but the English well they're another kettle of kippers altogether.

The English tried to massacre the Irish with the potato famine? I think you will find that nature was the cause and not the English:-

en.wikipedia.org...

Don't let facts get in the way of your anti English feelings.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It's always been just a bit of (mostly) good natured rivalry between Oz and the UK, and of course the Aussie larikin dislike of stuffed shirt authority figures (tall poppy syndrome to some) but what better place to play it out than on a cricket pitch?

The republic proposal has been put to the people and was rejected by a majority mainly due to the model that was proposed and if the pollies can get that model right it just might make it the 2nd time round. At the very least, the people need to be able to vote for the president and then there's the issue of what that president's actual powers are. Simply calling the Governor General president and confining his/her duties to holding dinner parties at the lodge is never going to make it through IMHO.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Back to the topic.

I think it is a bloody stupid analogy for him to use to be honest. If he wanted to, he could have used much more pertinent material than the bodyline series - it is sport that was played within the rules. By the same token, we could therefore use the fact that Darren Lockyear realised British wings couldn't catch and insisted on kicking it high for years of tries in the corners as proof of Australian aggression and "cheating".

Back off topic again.......

Australia is brilliant (apart from the fauna!). Any nation that can invent a stubby holder that stops me getting my hand cold when drinking lager is a true wonder of humanity.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Wayne Swan is a wanker

No one should take any member of our current government seriously.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Ah no, a bit more too it then just nature. The English confiscated land from the Irish in the 17th century and forced them to work under English Landlords. Those Landlords and future generations stayed on the land with the Irish living in abysmal conditions their only sustenance being Potatos and water.
The irish underclass starved when the Potato blight occurred as generally all they had was a simple cabin some land to grow potatos on and had to pay exorbitant rent to their overlords, The English or descendants of the English.
So yeah I would say, they were finishing off Oliver Cromwell''s handiwork.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

That goes for both sides Dude I agree.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
Do you know how many times people used to tell this joke

' where do poms hide their money
Answer: under their soap..'

I mean how is that funny or even accurate ?

That sort of joke dates back to the days of the '10 pound poms' which was a post-war subsidised immigration scheme. Don't worry too much about it as all the 'new arrivals' here, regardless of origin, get exactly the same amount of ribbing. The 'soap' thing is primarily a climate issue and refers to the infrequent showering/bathing in an English winter (understandable if you're not living a life of privilege).
Another was the expression of thirst - 'throat's as dry as a pommy's towel'.
And how to tell a planeload of poms just landed? The whining continues after engines are shut down

(we had a lot of british newcomers who found the climate, the deadly creatures too much for them and complained incessantly).

You need a sense of humor here and most important is the ability to laugh at yourself as well as the determination to 'have a go'.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Ah no, a bit more too it then just nature. The English confiscated land from the Irish in the 17th century and forced them to work under English Landlords. Those Landlords and future generations stayed on the land with the Irish living in abysmal conditions their only sustenance being Potatos and water.
The irish underclass starved when the Potato blight occurred as generally all they had was a simple cabin some land to grow potatos on and had to pay exorbitant rent to their overlords, The English or descendants of the English.
So yeah I would say, they were finishing off Oliver Cromwell''s handiwork.

Be careful when you say 'the English' you actually mean the 'elite' or the aristocracy.
The English were as under the thumb as the Irish - by the very same 'leaders'..

Addit: and most of the black and tans were actually Scottish.
edit on 25-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

You need a sense of humor here and most important is the ability to laugh at yourself as well as the determination to 'have a go'.

Yea I know but I did find some of the Aussies exceptionally ' chippy' [ as in chippy on shoulder ] towards the English. the English have been coming to Australia since it was founded in 1788 - I thought the English / British founded and developed Australia, your ancestors i presume.

They knew all about harsh conditions and needing a sense of humour !

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Fair enough, You are right. The Elite English are to blame and probably to blame for a whole lot more over hundreds of years, and it also go's with the initial takeover of Australia from the Aboriginals.
We all know it wasn't the run of the mill English that were to blame, they were probably the ones starving in the streets of London and forced to steal a loaf of bread to survive. Being caught and transported to Australia in leg irons.
The landed gentry were to blame for most of the starvation as they were the ones exorting the taxes.
You can probably trace these family lines to the rich and famous in the US as well.
And they are still taking from the true battlers who work hard for a pittance, in many ways the world hasn't changed much.
Peace

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

You can find people like that in any country. None of us are the same. You cant stereotype us all as having chips on our shoulders because you met a few. Not all the English I have met have been whingers yet there have been a few. Again, as I said before this is a game over here and rightly or wrongly it has been passed down through generations.
Probably not as prevalent with younger generations but I am 48 and I remember the Pommy bashing of the 70's and 80's quite well, and as we are mainly descendant from the British, us older ones anyway, we have inherited many British traits one being racism. And you know that the British can be racist dont you?
In Australia that is changing as the kids today dont care where their friends come from and nor should they.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

English racist?

You don't know what you are talking about, you fu*$%!# Aussie bas~@!*. Go throw another shrimp on the barbie and ask sheila if i can borrow her wheels, you sheep shagging, kangaroo fellating marsupial botherer!

(wonder how many miss the point!).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Now, See I can handle that. And thats how we talk to our Mates over here. We dont take ourselves seriously and we like to take the piss out of the Poms. Its all good.
Like the movie says. We are a weird mob.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hey do you think this is the beginnings of an attempt by the Australian govt to slowly ease the country into the mindset that in a war, they better remain neutral or 'side Asian' since the last line states that oz is an Asian country (something the locals don't see the same, meaning physically it's Asia-Pacific but culturally Anglo).

This could be the soft-ball first-steps outcome of the other story where the Chinese official told Oz not to side with the US or other intervening powers in a possibly upcoming conflict between China and Japan/Phillipines.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

You can find people like that in any country. None of us are the same. You cant stereotype us all as having chips on our shoulders because you met a few. Not all the English I have met have been whingers yet there have been a few. Again, as I said before this is a game over here and rightly or wrongly it has been passed down through generations.
Probably not as prevalent with younger generations but I am 48 and I remember the Pommy bashing of the 70's and 80's quite well, and as we are mainly descendant from the British, us older ones anyway, we have inherited many British traits one being racism. And you know that the British can be racist dont you?
In Australia that is changing as the kids today dont care where their friends come from and nor should they.

Several of my best friends are Australian - so I know that
It is about the individuals not their passport. However, I am talking about the late 80s - I was there on and off a long time. I think many Australians were down right hostile towards the British - God knows why.

Personally - I had lots of friends so it did not affect me too much, but it was there. Most of the chips on shoulder type Aussies with a problem with the 'poms' were not of British descent IMO.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by kudegras

English racist?

You don't know what you are talking about, you fu*$%!# Aussie bas~@!*. Go throw another shrimp on the barbie and ask sheila if i can borrow her wheels, you sheep shagging, kangaroo fellating marsupial botherer!

(wonder how many miss the point!).

so funny

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Swann is a goose.
Most hostility toward our English friends stems from some poor decision making at Gallipoli.

Today is Australia day, so have a beer or three, chill out and enjoy!

Aussie - Aussie - Aussie ....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join