It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JJ Abrams to Direct Next 'Star Wars'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

"He took the 'Star Trek' franchise, which was just drowning in misery, and he was able to bring that back to life," Frazier said. "If there's anyone that can do it with 'Star Wars' I think it's him."

Did a search and didn't see this posted yet... If so please remove.

So I will be the first to admit I'm a total geek at heart I grew up on Star wars and Star Trek... We have two different communities obsessed with their franchise... Now both being directed by one man JJ Abrams. Crazy how things work out. Apparently Hollywood is running out of creativity.

ETA. Please lets keep the "My Sci-fy is better than your Sci-fy" arguments to a minimum.

Mods: Put in wrong forum. Feel free to move to appropriate forum thanks.
edit on 25-1-2013 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Well, if he does as brilliantly as he did with the last Star Trek movie, it should be amazing.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

I grew up on Star Wars and Star Trek too OP . I will look forward to this new endeavor . Thanks for the info!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatcoat

Agreed! I enjoy most of his movies.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
If he brings his A game as he did in star trek this should be a really
well done movie, i cant wait for the next star trek movie this year
as well, that should be fun, good times for Scifi fans.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
That's definitely a good thing, JJ Abrams is one of my favorite directors. He uses a lot of logic and intellect in his movies and shows. It is going to be very strange that he is going to be in charge of both Star Trek and Star Wars, though, isn't it? That is such a crazy development from Lost.
edit on 25-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
As a Star Wars fan I'm happy about this, I liked Super 8, Star Trek, and MI:3. I think he will do a good job, I'm more worried about Michael Arndt writing episode 7, but I'm looking forward to Lawrence Kasdan making his comeback to the franchise after that.
edit on 25-1-2013 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

That report differs completely from about a month ago.

A thread on which direction the new movies should go I authoured a month or so ago had this linked, that Abrams had turned down the offer to direct Ep7, saying he'd rather just watch it.

Maybe Disney parked a dump truck full of money in his front yard??
Or said please a lot of times?

Star Wars Ep7 Thread
December news report "JJ Abrams turns down Star Wars directing role."
edit on 25/1/2013 by 74Templar because: spelling

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
In my personal opinion he wrecked Star Trek, but as Star Wars cannot be wrecked anymore than it has already, I'll reserve judgement to see what he comes up with.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Huh!!

Wouldn't this be conflict of interest!!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Hey. They just now announced this on the regular news. Way to get the scoop!!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I like Abrams but I'm conflicted about him directing Star Wars.

The real question here is will he be able to stop himself from using Lens Flare?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Yes! Please relax on the lens flare JJ!!!

Still, I'm hopeful. Really, it will all hinge on the story. I personally home they go with the Grand Admiral Thrawn route...that would rock...Talon Karde, Mara Jade, etc. Of course, they'll need to cast new actors for the roles of Luke, Han, Leia, etc.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Of course, they'll need to cast new actors for the roles of Luke, Han, Leia, etc.

www.aintitcool.com...

Here's to hopin' this rocks...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I for one am both excited for this and a little bit worried….

I think that he is a fantastic choice of director that that is not what worries me.

What worries me is the script, Lucas Film has sold off the rights to Disney, you know the same guys that brought us high school musical. The other problem is that I really do worry about what they are going to do with the story of the Jedi, if you have read any of the books regarding the “New Jedi Order” they are not as good as the story leading up to the end of the 6th movie, they get really silly, Leila is a Jedi fair enough but Darth Sidious returns as a clone and turns Luke to the dark side for a while but then Luke sorts that out. Obviously there is more to it the books go on to discuss events even after skywalker. I really hope they don’t use any of the books plots as a premise for a new script otherwise this is going to suck.

I think its going to suck anyway, yes I am excited but at the same time I think its going to suck how can you have star wars with no star wars, the wars of the original movies are now totally over as the empire has been defeated.

I might just be being too much of a geek about this…

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well, it looks like they're going to go with a completely original story not mentioned in the expanded universe. That's a mistake, because it also looks like Ford, Fisher, and Hamill may return, there's to much written about them after ROTJ already, I'm not sure if they'll be able to squeeze in more about them. But I really want to see them reprise my favorite characers! What to do, what to do?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

What worries me is the script, Lucas Film has sold off the rights to Disney, you know the same guys that brought us high school musical. The other problem is that I really do worry about what they are going to do with the story of the Jedi,

Look deeper. Disney may have the rights, but the person helming it for Disney has been there the whole time (I'm blanking on her name), but she'll make sure it is up to snuff, and Lucas is still advising and has a big piece of the merchandising rights.

As for Ford reprising Han Solo, it seems them may go more into the storyline of Han and Leia's kids, etc. This would actually be perfect for the age of the actors, and for kicking off into more movies. Also, it taps into this whole female hero kick (like Hunger Games) with Jaina, for instance. Later on in the books though, things go pretty astray (in my opinion), but the Youhzan Vong storyline would be a perfect setting for the new films. Not to mention, the Empire is still around, it's just that it has it's own space (and stake in the Vong storyline).

reply to post by Hopechest

Why the heck is Vader not wearing gloves?

edit on 19-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Why does Star Wars need "bringing back to life"? Everyone loves Star Wars!

Whilst i will admit that he did well with the Star Trek film (and i was never a Star Trek fan, apart from the original tv series) his other films are, frankly, mostly complete and utter bobbins.

If anyone else, i would have liked to see how Peter Jackson got on with it. I think a Coen Brothers Star Trek would be worth it too! I quite fancy seeing Spock fed into a wood chipper...........

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

soon all scenery will be white or made of glass and chrome.....JJ will instead of the going with the story, make the rebels faithless mercenaries who Boba fet hired and the jedi will not be a spiritual order but instead an imperial government experiment with mutants that spins out of control.....

The emperor will instead be a queen, luke will be a prince who fell in love with a "peni snake head" (penis plural?) slave girl and left the imperial death star palace to seek out his lost lover.

The entire film will be filled with luke and obiwan falling from tall structures "without a shoot"....

oh, and Yoda will instead look like the jolly green giant....

*pumps new life....... and crap into the franchise.....

edit on 19-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join