It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro/Amateur info needed on Astronomy/Star mapping schedules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I have a theory but I haven't had much experience in Astronomy to validate my thoughts,

can someone please tell me when Sirius will be returning (to view) from Earth (N. America) or at the least Canus Major??

It was last seen the week of the 21st amazingsky.net... , www.dudleyobservatory.org... (and other sources).

I have looked for many key words to find a schedule for the NEXT appearance but nothing that made sense to me.

thank you in advance, to those who know about this stuff, it would help me to know if my theory is plausible or not.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There is a great program called sky chart that also is freely available by the name cartes du ciel you can
Get some great insights to what will be where with this software
Its available at the link below
www.ap-i.net...

I'm no expert at astronomy or ephemeris or I'd offer to help myself ephemeris being the table of values with which to calculate celestial positioning
edit on 1/24/2013 by geocom because: Typo

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

thank you, lol, I did see sites similar but it is sooo confusing, I am looking for a very easy to understand list of dates. Most sites are made for pros. uhhg
edit on 24-1-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

ie: Sirius will next be in cycle to view on such n such date. Oh YESS..and the direction of where it was last visible. The picture above (in Alberta) doesn't mention which direction.
edit on 24-1-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

It should be visible now and for another month or two yet. My latitude is 51 degrees north and it's clearly visible in the south - albeit quite low down, so if you live around my latitude or lower you'll be able to see it for a while yet.

Here's a map for January...

Map

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
thank you, but I need to know when it will be back for the next cycle after this one in Jan. is gone.

where can I find the date of the return into view (from N. America)

does it return in 50 days? 200? a year or more?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Oh I see what you mean - sorry.

In the northern hemisphere Sirius is a star below and to the left of Orion which apart from its apparent brightness makes it quite easy to find. It's visible every (clear) night all winter (and a few weeks either side) every year in the southern part of the sky fairly close to the horizon as seen from from the latitudes of London and New York. If you are further south it will appear a bit higher in the sky.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
it will be gone in a few days, anyone know how to find out when it will be back?

is it a yearly cycle?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I said above that it's yearly... It's the same for all stars. Perhaps you should buy an astronomy book for beginners to help you with your theory.

new topics

top topics

join