It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doing the unthinkable, yes the US has banned it...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There seems to be a million and one gun control/gun ban threads on ATS lately. And many people both within and outside the US look on with a skeptical eye. Given the recently passed legislation in New York and the proposed for Massachusetts, fears seem to be reality. There is even pending legislation in Oregon to make cigarettes a Schedule III drug.

Some people call the outcry and fears to be shear lunacy of an easily frightened and manipulated people. That the federal government will not do anything so stupid and potentially dangerous to themselves and large segments of society. Well, allow me to introduce to you the reader proof that the government knows no bounds as to what they will ban for the flimsiest of excuses as a half-thought out kneejerk reaction:

1943 Ban on Sliced Bread

However, much to the dismay of harried housewives, on January 18 1943, the U.S. Food Administrator, Claude R. Wickard, imposed a ban on sliced bread. At a time of other wartime rationing, the rising cost of bread and sufficient wax paper supplies were cited as reasons to halt the sale of pre-sliced bread.

Further reading

So as we think of what is going on around us with a federal government that doles out edicts that no one with a little knowledge on the subject can fathom the rational behind. We must remember that we do have a voice and should remember the words of our fellow patriots before us whom have stood up to such ignorance passed off as righteous justifications by countering the actions of a power mad tyrant:

“I should like to let you know how important sliced bread is to the morale and saneness of a household. My husband and four children are all in a rush during and after breakfast. Without ready-sliced bread I must do the slicing for toast—two pieces for each one—that’s ten. For their lunches I must cut by hand at least twenty slices, for two sandwiches apiece. Afterward I make my own toast. Twenty-two slices of bread to be cut in a hurry!”

With words such as these, maybe the people of New York City can once again enjoy purchasing a single Big Gulp on a hot summer day without fear of being renditioned to Gitmo for their offenses against the sensibilities of those that think winning an election makes them mentally competent enough to decide what others should be doing with their own hard earned dollars.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

so what happens when they ban drinking bottled water, or buying gas for a certain amount, or lioving without a microchip implanted in your head or hand? Face it. we are approaching the end.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest cigarettes should be banned shouldnt they?, I mean its not like even a matter of personal freedoms, cigarettes have been purposefuly pushed onto an unwitting society for decades, despite the fact they are a lethal health hazard.

Im a smoker by the way.

But lets be honest, Big Tobacco, good guys are they?, personal freedoms and liberty of the people at heart have they?, lol, they are as bad as arms dealers.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Okay, I'm starting to get the sense that all the states need to go back to Philadelphia to come up with a better and revised Constitution. Because the one we have now, it's starting to look like the Articles of Confederation with more problems, only it's Federal and not Congress this time. In some aspects, I think Rhode Island may have been right.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
To be perfectly honest cigarettes should be banned shouldnt they?, I mean its not like even a matter of personal freedoms, cigarettes have been purposefuly pushed onto an unwitting society for decades, despite the fact they are a lethal health hazard.

Im a smoker by the way.

But lets be honest, Big Tobacco, good guys are they?, personal freedoms and liberty of the people at heart have they?, lol, they are as bad as arms dealers.

Just remember, you don't HAVE to buy the cigarettes you smoke from the evil tobacco industry. Its your right, or freedom to choose to do so.

I have the right to go out and buy a gun, or sliced bread, or hell even massive amounts of rat poison if i so choose to, thats what makes America great. Love it or hate it. Once i lose my rights endowed upon me by my creator, it stops being America, and becomes a real problem.....

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by iRateGenius2397

I would think the question should be are WE going to wait until they ban bottle water. Better yet these are the times for public "house gatherings" in your neighborhood to discuss the profound path that we are on and how to derail it.

I am bothered that we (self included) just bang away our frustration in forums discussing our desperate kneed to get our government under control. We discuss that we need to get the sheeple to bust through thier heard and as well as getting everyone else's head out of the sand, face from in front of the computer and the boob tube.

Its not that hard to dial up our commissioners, mayors, state reps, judges even to offer a piece of your mind in a very reverant way that they must not forget their role and your desire of what is expected of them all. We are our government, but the people who have become the government have managed to twist the position. They don't know what is better for us unless they can quote what all of us have demanded and said for them to carry forward to their seat in our democracy. Knowing they are just a messenger - not a manager - not a lord over the peasants.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Tuttle

You really really need to do more research into the base motivations of Tobacco Control before you make statements about a ban on cigarettes.

The only thing a ban would do is make criminals out of honest citizens and fuel the black market. Further, regardless of anything you have been told about tobacco, you need to understand and put all of the sloganeering into perspective. According to Anti-tobacco, cigarettes are responsible for "premature deaths" of an average of 8 years before never smokers. of course, these are all "theoretical" deaths calculated by using epidimiology and have not been verified by hard science.

That is about the same "premature deaths" caused by being left-handed

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost

Im a smoker by the way.

Just remember, you don't HAVE to buy the cigarettes you smoke from the evil tobacco industry. Its your right, or freedom to choose to do so.

I have the right to go out and buy a gun, or sliced bread, or hell even massive amounts of rat poison if i so choose to, thats what makes America great. Love it or hate it. Once i lose my rights endowed upon me by my creator, it stops being America, and becomes a real problem.....

Cigarettes should be banned. 2nd hand smoke hurts everyone.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Im a smoker by the way.

more illusion dusted with a light coating of god given humans rights.

You don't have the right to go and do anything. You're given the freedom to do so in a curtailed manner. Like it or not, that is the truth.

And you can hold onto your sliced bread and scream that god gave it to you, but no. Some guy made it. Using a recipe invented by men, many ages ago.

No god plonked a bunch of apes down on a ball of dirt and said "And let it be known, I give you this right as my children. You can have all the sliced bread you want."

Why doesn't god care about starving children in desertland... where is their god given right to sliced bread, maybe with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on?

Funny how rationing bread seems to be stealing your things now. So many decades later.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

Well no thats just not true is it, my freedoms have been somewhat impaired by the insidiously addictive chemical compounds found in cigarettes. Sure its more than certainly up to me to try and stop, the funny thing with addiction is, it aint easy, there is enough junkies in the planet to testify to that, and even more American Idol Factor X Talent watchers who would whole heartedly agree[maybe not]

And remember when smoking was healthy for you?, remember those days?, wonder how much they spent on ad revenue over the years, millions, hundreds of millions?, billions?, hundreds of billions??

Yeah, freedom of choice. I like what your smoking good buddy.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

By that logic, cars should also be banned. Exhaust fumes are far worse than second hand smoke. Add trucks and buses too. Where does it end?

That's the point - hysteria trumps common sense.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

A town in Maine already gave in to some nut and banned bottled water.

My question is, where is the sense in fighting to ban cigarettes or classify them as drugs? While at the same time fighting to make pot legal?

I can smoke a cigarette with out it impairing me. I can still safely drive a car after smoking a cigarette.

WHY OH WHY ARE PEOPLE SO DUMB????????

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

reply to post by wondermost

Well no thats just not true is it, my freedoms have been somewhat impaired by the insidiously addictive chemical compounds found in cigarettes. Sure its more than certainly up to me to try and stop, the funny thing with addiction is, it aint easy, there is enough junkies in the planet to testify to that, and even more American Idol Factor X Talent watchers who would whole heartedly agree[maybe not]

And remember when smoking was healthy for you?, remember those days?, wonder how much they spent on ad revenue over the years, millions, hundreds of millions?, billions?, hundreds of billions??

Yeah, freedom of choice. I like what your smoking good buddy.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

yeah, your right. I did not smoke for fourteen years until just recently(september) and smoked my last cigarette and said "no more, i am stronger than this substance" and never looked back. I definitely did not drink myself to sleep every night of my life for seven years until i met my wife and decided i loved her more than the poison in that bottle. She most certainly did not overcome an addiction to methanphetamines to persue a better life that she realized she was just shooting away every. day. and yes i said shooting, as in up the veins, pal. Clean for five plus years without one stumble. Not looking back once.

Once you realize your true inner power, your strength, you won't make silly excuses anymore like "oh, that darned commercial, it TRICKED me into smoking." Keep on lighting em up good buddy.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Im a smoker by the way.

more illusion dusted with a light coating of god given humans rights.

You don't have the right to go and do anything. You're given the freedom to do so in a curtailed manner. Like it or not, that is the truth.

And you can hold onto your sliced bread and scream that god gave it to you, but no. Some guy made it. Using a recipe invented by men, many ages ago.

No god plonked a bunch of apes down on a ball of dirt and said "And let it be known, I give you this right as my children. You can have all the sliced bread you want."

Why doesn't god care about starving children in desertland... where is their god given right to sliced bread, maybe with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on?

Funny how rationing bread seems to be stealing your things now. So many decades later.

Hey buddy, take it easy. I'm not in here trying to push god on you or anything. relax. sorry for using such an abhorrent word to try to illustrate my point.

Maybe i should of said the rights given to me by the blood spilled by my forefathers? does that one work better for you?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

A town in Maine already gave in to some nut and banned bottled water.

My question is, where is the sense in fighting to ban cigarettes or classify them as drugs? While at the same time fighting to make pot legal?

I can smoke a cigarette with out it impairing me. I can still safely drive a car after smoking a cigarette.

WHY OH WHY ARE PEOPLE SO DUMB????????

My question is, why are we constantly trying to add more laws to the books? More, More, More. We are indeed a country of excess, but this is just ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

You really really need to do more research into the base motivations of Tobacco Control before you make statements about a ban on cigarettes.

Hmmm no I shouldnt.

Im happy for people to smoke.

Im not happy for people to smoke highly carcinogenic death sticks, designed with chemical formulas to ensure optimal addiction by corporations who have spent decades brainwashing the people into smoking.

Thats about it really, again I smoke, I like it. Wish I didnt, but thats just the way it is, they got me.

I also similarly support total drug legalization, as your right, turning people into criminals is a stupid thing to do.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Your car exhaust, fuel to heat your home, fuel to make electricity for your house and pollution in the manufacture of everything you buy and eat is killing everyone!

It all must be banned!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I'd appreciate it if you would be more respectful with your God talk. It's offensive, and you bring up issues that have been discussed 1000 times over.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I'm not sure where you are going with this here. Sure, the northeast blue states and the west coast blue states have been forcing ridiculous gun control laws for years and years. They are for the most part disarmed so logic would dictate (even though the gun control debate is anything but logical) that they would focus on the blue states first.

However and this is a big however. It is up to the state and the people within the state to stand up and denounce things like this. So some states are losing more and more constitutional rights? It has been going this way for a very long time, there is nothing new under the sun. I personally think we should give the state of NY back to England, because they just roll over every time something new comes along.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for the constitution, but its kinda hard to stick up for a group or a state that thinks otherwise. Gun confiscations will happen first in states like NY because the citizens will just roll over for the federal government and that is a proven FACT.

Anyhow, dont expect me to get my panties all thrown in a bunch because I live in a place where the spirit of resistance is strong and its citizens have been warning that for years yet they still roll over and do nothing. It is quite like talking to a brick wall. What is done is done and what will be done will be done.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Cigarettes should be banned. 2nd hand smoke hurts everyone.

Looks like theres another control freak in this house.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join