It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confusion in Corbin Kentucky over fake "quake"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Confusion in Corbin over fake "quake"

www.wkyt.com

CORBIN, Ky. (WKYT) - It's been described as an explosion, an earthquake, a thunder roll, or even as small as a car crash. Some say there was one tremor, others say two, one resident said they felt three violent shakes, and yet some say they didn't feel anything at all.

While the reports vary, the reality is something rattled Corbin around midday on Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-1-2013 by Divine Strake because: I get knocked down, but I get up again. . .

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
There are always talks of D.U.M.B. (DEEP UNDERGROUND MILITARY BASE) drilling, and this is not the first time that Kentucky has experienced such tremors. They addressed mine blasting, so that's ruled out. No one ever seems to have a clue, and they just keep happening. I have, on several occasions, heard similar sounds and felt "quakes" that only lasted a few seconds only to find out that there was no quake. Sometimes there was a faint "groan" that seemed to come from above. . .but only sky could be seen.

www.wkyt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

I followed this yesterday, as it was happening and was actually wanting to post about it myself but my keyboard is screwed up so it would have been too much of a headache, lol.

I have several friends who heard/felt it but no one knows what it was. I know it was heard over too far of a range to be simple blasting though. I actually went outside to see if I could hear anything and I didn't but someone just five miles away from me reported hearing it. I would love to know what's going on. Most people said it sounded like an explosion.

I doubt that we'll ever get a truthful explanation.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Yeah, I was going to post yesterday as well, just short on time. University of Kentucky says that the "blast" registered, but was far too short to be an actual quake.

Ever heard how Mammoth Cave is supposed to lead to an underworld?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Yep! And my thoughts did go that route, lol.

I'm in Rockcastle and know of at least one person who heard it here. Someone reported hearing it in Hazard. The first person I knew that mentioned it was in London. Hazard is pretty far away so it had to be something huge to cover such an area. I have heard house-rattling explosions here several times over the past year or so but always assumed it was rednecks blowing things up, lol! Now I'm not so sure. I'm going to start keeping track of when they happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

We're in Clark county, but I don't remember how far they said it could be heard. I love Rockcastle county!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I know there are some oil wells and coal mines around there,are they doing any fracking?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Kdog, first, I love your avatar,
To be honest, I don't know what fracking is.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Freaky stuff. It's gotta be at least partially connected to all those "skysounds" that happen every once in a while, don't you think?

Some legit Fortean Phenomena getting proper records here. Can't wait to hear the explanations.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

I agree. . .usually, though, it just gets swept away, and everyone just forgets about even wanting a genuine explanation.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divine Strake

Kdog, first, I love your avatar,
To be honest, I don't know what fracking is.

Thank you.
And let me edumacate you....(being a little funny with the word)

Hydraulic fracturing is the propagation of fractures in a rock layer by a pressurized fluid. Some hydraulic fractures form naturally -- certain veins or dikes are examples -- and can create conduits along which gas and petroleum from source rocks may migrate to reservoir rocks. Induced hydraulic fracturing or hydrofracturing, commonly known as fracing, fraccing, or fracking, is a technique used to release petroleum, natural gas (including shale gas, tight gas, and coal seam gas), or other substances for extraction.[1] This type of fracturing creates fractures from a wellbore drilled into reservoir rock formations. The first use of hydraulic fracturing was in 1947 but the modern fracturing technique, called horizontal slickwater fracturing, that made the extraction of shale gas economical was first used in 1998 in the Barnett Shale in Texas.[1][2][3] The energy from the injection of a highly pressurized hydraulic fracturing fluid creates new channels in the rock, which can increase the extraction rates and ultimate recovery of hydrocarbons. Proponents of hydraulic fracturing point to the economic benefits from vast amounts of formerly inaccessible hydrocarbons the process can extract.[4] Opponents point to potential environmental impacts, including contamination of ground water, risks to air quality, the migration of gases and hydraulic fracturing chemicals to the surface, surface contamination from spills and flowback and the health effects of these.[5] For these reasons hydraulic fracturing has come under scrutiny internationally, with some countries suspending or banning it.[6][7]

en.wikipedia.org...

Now,I'm not saying that is what is going on,I was just wondering and I need to do some more research into it.
I need to look at any fault lines and such,but it sounds like someone is doing some blasting around there.
Read the comments below your article you posted.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
First you have to rule out someone playing with 'exploding targets'; if people are hearing noises over a wide area, check on the times. If they are all the same time, that's one thing. If they're minutes apart, that's something else, and hours apart, something else still.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
You know how people think animals are dumb - trees and rocks don't have feelings but all societies have a Mother Earth Gaea Myth.

We have been proved wrong countless times that animals do have feelings. Thoughts and feelings are vibrational electrical charges that the human gives off as well as animals and inanimate objects.

Most people are too busy rushing around to hear what they themselves have to say about themselves including what our environment is saying. Few listen to their inner voice.

We are in a symbiosis with this planet and everything in it. Our planet is moving through the center of our galaxy and Gaea must have something to say about that. The noises we hear are her groaning to adjust to gravitational pulls, to interplanetary forces and we people are a part of that whether we like it or not.

The booms and other noises heard around the earth are Gaea. Gasping to catch up despite how harmfully we have treated her. Digging holes deep into her, Fracking the heck out of her, mining her gems and minerals to fit our sadistic needs - without any regards to our planet.

Causing viruses and mutations to occur from nuclear irresponsibility. Killing off her people left and right to satisfy the greed for power. Our planet has been kindly to us so far but that could change even more - hurricanes, tornadoes, freezing weather and tsunamis to get rid of some of the junk we have put on her and recycle it back into natural ingredients. Gaea could even be intelligently deciding who to kill off of the ones who have been harming her.

Impossible, you say - think again do you know everything there is to know?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Fracking was the first thing I suspected. I have looked at fracking maps a couple times
so I know they do it around here somewhere but not sure exactly where. It's a possibility that
could be what's going on.

To the poster who suggested exploding targets: I think the booms I've heard myself very
likely could have been exploding targets but the sounds and shaking felt yesterday was heard
over at least a hundred mile radius plus showed up on seismograph so this was something
much bigger.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Have you seen the number of gas wells?
And why is my gas so high in Louisville?

kgs.uky.edu...

There is alot to take in there.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Yup, just putting the idea out there for people who are hearing localized loud noises.

I'm really beginning to wonder if there's a link between what's going on down in Bayou Corne and the rest of the Mississippi basin (New Madrid fault).

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by garygnu

While you do centrally have a point, a few points in fact.... I've never heard of any model of the mind in which thoughts and feelings are "vibrational electric charges" that anything "gives off" which hasn't repeatedly failed basic observational rigour. I don't even know what a "vibrational electrical charge" would be, really.

Also, the Earth is not moving through the galactic center at all. We're in an arm of the galaxy -- about 28 thousand light years from the center.

But more to the point, we are essentially in symbiosis with our planet. Whether it has a conscious mind, something resembling a conscious mind, or not, it is a large entity coated in interacting ecostystems and species. You don't have to take Gaia Theory literally to realize that we are a part of a world which does things, with or without us. And the concept that this is a result of the harm we've done to the Earth.... Well, only the obvious versions of that require Gaia to be a living entity.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Hi signalfire, I have also been wondering the same thing for quite some time. The explosion in the Gulf had to have an affect on the land nearby one would think as well a on the ocean floor too. There are so many oil/gas wells in the ocean down there and throughout Louisiana and Texas land and other states as well...states that are relevant to the New Madrid, one has to wonder about that. All that fracking has to be weakening/changing the structure of the surface and underground stability. Very powerful chemicals are used for the process and explosions occur to get results. Intense pressure is brought to bear and tremendous amounts of water is injected and extracted. All of that has to be causing drastic changes to the earth....perhaps the consequences are earthquakes, sinkholes, pollution and much more. Unfortunately, sadly.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

What a concise explanation.
I knew what it was after all, I just didn't know what it was called. No wonder so many people in Eastern KY are so upset. . .between fracking and strip mining, it's easy to see why so many water sources have become so contaminated.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Signalfire, exactly. Given that some are thinking the Mississippi will drop and bring the Gulf as far north as western KY, it's easy to postulate a connection. I could only imagine the devastation that would befall us should that happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join