Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mountaingirl1111
I have to say that it's funny to me how these laws can be passed and people back them, yet who do you think will be crying when their taxes go up because of HOW MUCH revenue gets made on taxed cigarettes? This is the ONLY reason they haven't been all-out made illegal. The money will need to be made up somewhere and the first things they'll start taxing should cigarettes become illegal is all of the other "sin" items, such as alcohol, etc. When they can't tax that anymore, they'll find a way. There is NO WAY they won't make it up somewhere else.

Agreed, the feds will put border patrol checkpoints at all indian reservations and fo cash checks and tax you for any winnings above what you went in with.

Then TSA outside of your alcohol shops to search for alcohol...

One ban after another until we all are in a box, except for the perfect humans who are doped beyond reality on xanax for being elitists.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283
My question is: What constitutes a prescription for cigarettes? Like, is it if you are already addicted, then you get the prescription? Or are they going to actually prescribe the cigarettes for different ailments? Like, what would the ailments entail, stress, anxiety, constipation?

I dont know what would be more shocking, it being illegal to posses cigarettes, or the fact that you could be prescribed them. I am sorry, but this sounds like a joke to me, because I simply dont see this occuring.

In any case, I live in Portland, and I will sure as hell be voting against this. To me, this is going to make a lot more trouble. People will simply sell cigarettes illegaly like they do other drugs, and that will just over-populate the prisons with petty offenders, take up police officers precious time, and those things will just further waste even more tax dollars. We are trying to legalize some silly plant for those very same reasons, and now they want to make things worse by outlawing cigarettes?

Anyways, didnt they try outlawing some other legal substance for a while? Oh yeah, alcohol, and look how well that went. The prohibiton days were just fine and dandy.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

And because it doesn't affect you yet, it's still history. Right? It's alive and well and the gangsters don't carry tommy guns these days. Profit = criminalising a vice + relying on everyone using a vice.

If anything like this were to be implemented it would most likely be on the same basis as methadone. You need to be an addict, and require assistance in quitting.... which in the real world just means you top up with done and they carry you through a miserable existence of seeking and acquiring.

"Psst hey bud, got a light?"

It's the same with coffee. Everyone who drinks coffee loves it. There are coffee houses, coffee shops, coffee connoisseurs, people who treat each bean with love and care. Take that away, and you'll create an instant cash cow criminal citizen. Instantly.

It's addictive, it's bad for you when abused, hell it's even been implicated in sporting cheats analysis, causing the loss of esteem.

Don't be surprised. I've seen people who live in the law enforcement world claim that if they had the chance, they would impose bans on coffee, tea, tobacco.. So you just know that somewhere some idiot in power has the thought rummaging through his mind.

Tobacco prescriptions.. hilarious. Fail. Won't solve the situation that needs no resolve.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
They will have to pry my pack and lighter from my dead cold hands.

Doesn't look too hard to me

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
OK, This is just Absurity at it's finest.

I am a smoker, I DO NOT SMOKE:

In my house
If I am in public, I stay away from people, espically ones with kids, and I ALWAYS make sure my cig out and throw the butt in the garbage.
I will not smoke in other peoples house either.

Call me crazy, But it is just common courtisy(SP)

I have tried to quit, can't do it.

Wow I just remembered the movie Total Recall,(I think) where the wife got OLE Arnold a cigar for his birthday, and they were illegal.I say legalize something else.

Violent tendencies would go away. And more # would get done, or alot of sleeping, one of the two!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
What it is going to take for people to rise up against these draconian laws?

Sure, smokers are an easy target.
So are guns.
Sodas.
Salt.
Speech.

Where is the straw that will break the camels back?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . .camel cigarettes. . . . . .

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Sorry, I had trouble following exactly what your point was. So, what would you propose as a good solution to solve the problem? I am just a little confused is all, please excuse my naivity.

ETA:

Originally posted by thepolish1

Wow I just remembered the movie Total Recall,(I think) where the wife got OLE Arnold a cigar for his birthday, and they were illegal.I say legalize something else.

Wow, I just saw that movie a couple of months ago, and you are so right, cigars WERE illegal in it. The movie also had the equivalent of TSA body scaners only in train stations, and something like Microsoft Kinect sports training, with tennis. Now, looking back, I swear that movie was seemingly prophetic. Good catch.

P.S> How the heck did Arnold survive in space for so long, and just come back perfectly normal once the atmosphere formed? Like, his eyes were popping out of his head, creepy stuff.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Renegade2283 because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Oh come on, now I'm pressing the BS button.
Ok so you are perfect and you harm no life in any form whatsoever...
You are online, do you understand how much marine life died to produce the petroleum in your computer, or how many African peasants died to mine the gold on your motherboard???
If you were as perfect as you propose, you'd be somewhere in the forest crying fot the grass you killed as you crossed it...
You have vices and they can be taxed or prohibited in some way shape or form, to say you don't lets everyone know you are speaking out of your keester.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

The problem I have with images like that is they're loaded.

Sure ammonia is dunny cleaner.

In fact, most of the mundane uses of things in those images, are actually used in highly clinical labs to do the exact same things... But they're given names with acetate and ones made up from throwing consonants at chemistry journals, so they get away with it. Science, well it's a science!

jimmy and his truck load of nokia batteries with a couple gallons of acetone, why it's crushed light bulbs and saw dust and petrol.. Damn backyard jimmy.. Y U NO SICENTZOR!!!

Those images do more harm than good, unless the intent is fear in which case the mostly ignorant masses will swallow their medicine hook line and rechargeable battery.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Sorry, I had trouble following exactly what your point was. So, what would you propose as a good solution to solve the problem? I am just a little confused is all, please excuse my naivity.

A vice should not be the domain of the law. Simple.

If you want to huff the pollen from the bums of bee's so be it

But we forget that we're told we're not allowed to do certain things because they're bad for us. Wether it's true or not. So most people don't care if a vice results in sending millions of people to prison.

It's not them, those people are bad. Evil should be in prison. Send those (vice) to jail.

But here we are, it's peeking around at you.. and the indignation is tangible.

The law cannot morally justify the persecution of people whose only crime is to indulge in a vice. But it does, to the silence, and acceptance, of those who now proclaim enough is enough. About time. Yet I see nothing changing.

Sorry I've only had one cup of coffee so far, I'm all over the show.. lol

P.S> How the heck did Arnold survive in space for so long, and just come back perfectly normal once the atmosphere formed? Like, his eyes were popping out of his head, creepy stuff.

Martian cigars give you multiple bonus health points !

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
What it is going to take for people to rise up against these draconian laws?

Sure, smokers are an easy target.
So are guns.
Sodas.
Salt.
Speech.

Where is the straw that will break the camels back?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . .camel cigarettes. . . . . .

Sorry Dude, I gotta say, if they out lawed Mountain Dew, Martial Law WILL have to be activated!!!!
don't drink it myself, BUT..........

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Glad to see Oregon is finally put in the forefront of their ignorace as California is usually put as the pivot man, however this state and this new regulation should hold presedence to this states laws and bi-laws, of the most ignorant throughout the states

Hell this state doesn't allow individuals to take a break on a bench as that could get you tossed in jail

Oregon:
O;ften
R; regulations
E;end
G;oing
E;endlessly
N;Neurosis

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by Obsrvr

I see, you will avoid the question and deflect. Everyone has one form of vice or another.
Maybe you are narcissistic and you see yourself as perfect, that is a vice you know.
What if you were forced to take a pill for your mental deficiency lest you get jailed and fined?
Can you at least answer that one without deflecting? And thanks in advance.

My Vice? if you want me to tell you something negative about myself?
How about the fact I dont take crap, I stand up for my point of view no matter how hard being berate or charge against me. I'm wrong more than anyone, many a time on this site specifically ive changed my POV because of people challenging me, its why im here. But telling me cig's are a good and decent part of society that need to remain because you say so? is not a time im going to change my mind.

If I had a mental deficiency (IE a mental condition) then id probably welcome the 'pill' or medication. I dont see the point in your question?

why are you wanting to delve into my personal situation that has nothing to do with cigs?

I do not see where I have berated you as I am very careful not to use the common troll tactics, however if I have I apologize in advance and I would ask that you point out my ignorance so that I may understand and grow, it would make you in a sense my mentor!
But I don't take crap either, and I would not consider that a vice but a tremendous boon in a persons character!
I thought I had explained but maybe that was to someone else as I really don't know but while the question may have nothing to do with cigarettes it does have something to do with possible prohibited behavior.
I wont get personal and ask "what" your vice is, but I will ask if you do have a vice.
You must understand anything can be prhibited if enough people get behind an idea, good or bad.
How do you feel about being told what to do even in the privacy of your own home??
That is two questions, do you have a vice and how do you feel about being told how to live your life?
I mean, what if procreation was prohibited as diseases can be transmitted.
Say the state will take your sperm and egg and combine them to save you from possible contamination, is that ok with you?
Just because the state says so?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

A vice should not be the domain of the law. Simple.

If you want to huff the pollen from the bums of bee's so be it

But we forget that we're told we're not allowed to do certain things because they're bad for us. Wether it's true or not. So most people don't care if a vice results in sending millions of people to prison.

It's not them, those people are bad. Evil should be in prison. Send those (vice) to jail.

But here we are, it's peeking around at you.. and the indignation is tangible.

The law cannot morally justify the persecution of people whose only crime is to indulge in a vice. But it does, to the silence, and acceptance, of those who now proclaim enough is enough. About time. Yet I see nothing changing.

Sorry I've only had one cup of coffee so far, I'm all over the show.. lol

Martian cigars give you multiple bonus health points !

Ah, I see, makes much more sense now. I havent eaten all day, so I am a little fuzzy right now.

Oh, and I lol'd a little for that one.
edit on Sun Jan 27 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dondylion

Originally posted by Obsrvr
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Who are you to tell me how to live my life? You're not God. You don't own me.

When I smoke a $10 cigar I enjoy the hell out of it. If I didn't I wouldn't pay that much for it.

You seem to think that everyone has to and wants to feel healthy. You're wrong.

I eat butter, I put half and half in my coffee and I love meat. I'm not going to stop enjoying my life because you think I should be healthy.

I'd rather live how I want, smoke and eat what I want and die at 60 than eat vegetables, margarine, no meat and sweat my ass off at the gym and die at 80.

This is still a free country gxxxxxxxt.

When your life decisions begin to affect others like second-hand smoke does, then something needs to be done to make that end. Smoking doesn't harm only you, it harms everyone around you.

What you're saying could also go along the same lines as a raging alcoholic choosing to drive drunk. It's their life, right? Why shouldn't they be allowed to drive drunk?

Come on dude, did someone blow their smoke in your face or something? You are quite a bit over the top. As a result you do not represent your cause very well.

It is very rare these days that anyone is affected by second hand smoke unless it is their own choice. You pretty much can't smoke anywhere but in your home and in open areas. Parents who smoke in the house get visits from child services. The second hand smoke arguments are just pure propaganda.

As far as smokers costing the medical system more money, that is also very false. If smokers do indeed die faster, then they are using the healthcare system for a much shorter time creating savings over those, who by your words, live 20 years longer and still end up needing the same end of life care, after also going through many other "old age" procedures. Increased medical cost is just more propaganda.

We couldn't exist if the government tried to regulate everything that could end up being harmful for us, which in the end is just about everything. The people that think they should, lets just say they must be weak as can be with a deep need of having someone plot out their entire lives for them.

We just need to prohibit the tobacco companies from putting the chemicals into the tobacco. That should go for for all industries that adulterate their products.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kingsquirel

I have lived here my entire life, and have watched the steady influx of Californian's slowly change this place into a hell-hole. Everyone talks with a Californian accent now, all of our laws reflect the Californian viewpoint of everything must be legislated. Coffee shops are everywhere, trendy strip malls popping up all over the place, Portland is off limits for me now. When condos first started showing up, I thought who in their right mind would want to buy an apartment sized house and live jam packed next to everyone? Apparently a lot of people. I hear Wyoming is nice, I may just abandon ship, and watch Oregon sink into the abyss. It is a beautiful place, but the people and politics suck now.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord
reply to post by kingsquirel

I have lived here my entire life, and have watched the steady influx of Californian's slowly change this place into a hell-hole. Everyone talks with a Californian accent now, all of our laws reflect the Californian viewpoint of everything must be legislated. Coffee shops are everywhere, trendy strip malls popping up all over the place, Portland is off limits for me now. When condos first started showing up, I thought who in their right mind would want to buy an apartment sized house and live jam packed next to everyone? Apparently a lot of people. I hear Wyoming is nice, I may just abandon ship, and watch Oregon sink into the abyss. It is a beautiful place, but the people and politics suck now.

Left out of there 10 years ago, when Oregon started putting individuals that sat on park benches for more than 10 minutes in jail or kicked them off, I was Like- I am outta of here. Still have family there, but Oregon has become such a nanny state that with the OP's info I am glad to see the truth to the light if you know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Yes its so so great that they are trying to take even more power to tell
people what they can and cant do, while many think this might be
a good thing, do you really think they will stop there? got any vices at all?
salt? sweets? caffeine? driving? food? sheesh its starting to remind me
of demolition man. im so glad people are embracing this attitude that
the governments job is to regulate everything we do for our own good,
that's gonna be so much fun having 1 TV station and edited txts, the
government mandated sexual positions etc. etc. etc.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Cigarettes are awful, they don't just harm the smoker, but people around the smoker as well. I hope this passes.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

ATS Live Reality Remix is on-air in 7 minutes.
ATS Live Radio Presents - Reality Remix Live SE6 EP6

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def