It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obsrvr
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Who are you to tell me how to live my life? You're not God. You don't own me.

When I smoke a $10 cigar I enjoy the hell out of it. If I didn't I wouldn't pay that much for it.

You seem to think that everyone has to and wants to feel healthy. You're wrong.

I eat butter, I put half and half in my coffee and I love meat. I'm not going to stop enjoying my life because you think I should be healthy.

I'd rather live how I want, smoke and eat what I want and die at 60 than eat vegetables, margarine, no meat and sweat my ass off at the gym and die at 80.

This is still a free country gxxxxxxxt.

When your life decisions begin to affect others like second-hand smoke does, then something needs to be done to make that end. Smoking doesn't harm only you, it harms everyone around you.

What you're saying could also go along the same lines as a raging alcoholic choosing to drive drunk. It's their life, right? Why shouldn't they be allowed to drive drunk?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

GB? National. Health. Care.

Notoriously slow.

In the US we have fabulous health care.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This desire to legislate morality disgusts me! Whether it's the Right and their cries about the sanctity of modern day marriage in America or Left and their desire to restrict what humans put into their own bodies, both are equally guilty! Stop it! Who are you(anyone), who are you to tell me what I do and what I think and what I consume? Is my life not my own? As long as one doesn't infringe upon, or harm, another, they should be FREE do as they please. We don't all have to agree on the one way to live life, and that's where government is headed.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

New Zealand healthcare.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
This desire to legislate morality disgusts me! Whether it's the Right and their cries about the sanctity of modern day marriage in America or Left and their desire to restrict what humans put into their own bodies, both are equally guilty! Stop it! Who are you(anyone), who are you to tell me what I do and what I think and what I consume? Is my life not my own? As long as one doesn't infringe upon, or harm, another, they should be FREE do as they please. We don't all have to agree on the one way to live life, and that's where government is headed.

That's the thing. Second hand smoke DOES harm others, including animals. It isn't just YOU who's being harmed, it's everyone around you with the second hand smoke.

I guess by your logic all people should be allowed to drive drunk then. It's their life, right? Why shouldn't they be allowed to drive drunk?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dondylion

I live alone. I have no pets.

Your argument doesn't work on me.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Cages are for criminals and animals, not free men.

Over half of the American jail population are in there for silly things, such as simply possessing one little gram of a substance that has less negative effects on the human body than beer, and many have even claimed that it has positive effects. Many of those people only use the substance in the privacy of their own home. Are those people "criminals animals?" Well... are they criminals? We're all animals... technically.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

problem is, you'll end up in hospital at 40-50. clogging up the rooms, taking up doctors time.
If you want to live like that, then fine! I think you should be banned from healthcare, so peple who actually did give a damn and tried to live a healthy life have all the opportunity to get the most out of it.

I'm not telling you how to live. You can grow tobacco or do whatever, but i think the companies that design cigs so they are deliberately addictive so they make oodles of $$$ need to be banned immediately.

The value of the whole is more important than your personal addiction!

link   

I see... If you are truly a smoker and you are so unhappy and downtrodden by family yada yada yada, why don't you simply quit?
I smoke because I enjoy it.

I see, you will avoid the question and deflect. Everyone has one form of vice or another.
Maybe you are narcissistic and you see yourself as perfect, that is a vice you know.
What if you were forced to take a pill for your mental deficiency lest you get jailed and fined?
Can you at least answer that one without deflecting? And thanks in advance.

reply to post by Renegade2283

I smoke my own blend and I control what goes into them, no additives at all.
Since smoking my own rolled smokes I find my throat is not scratchy like it was with marlboros.
You are correct, smokes don't have to be so unhealthy.
Star to ya.
By the way, I have been smoking for almost 40 years and I can still hold my breath for just over a minute and a half, all that and I am fat old and mostly broken!

link   

Your smoke also escapes your household and goes into the air for everyone around you to breathe. My argument does work.

Also, nice way of avoiding my other points.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I'm already in my 50's. So far, so good.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I hate smoking, I won't let anyone smoke in my house, not even lovers in an intimate post coital moment, out into the garden the go, and to one girls eternal credit she went, and if I didn't think they would censor the post I would tell you the outfit she was wearing. But given that stand I believe people have the right to smoke, and to take that right away is a terrifying move towards complete totalitarian government.

TPTB want you off the tobacco and onto gambling, certainly in the UK, because gambling won't kill you, it will mire you in debt, it will ruin families, but it won't put you into the healthcare system. The rush for gambling is destined to create a new underclass of people captured in debt unable to break their addiction.

First it ill be tobacco, and then alcohol, the mixed message over fast food will continue as it makes too much money even though it's bad for us, but it's respectable. Your guns, free speech, right to assembly, and freedom to travel will be eroded next.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

I see... If you are truly a smoker and you are so unhappy and downtrodden by family yada yada yada, why don't you simply quit?
I smoke because I enjoy it.

I see you decided to ignore the part of my post that said I am in the process of quitting. I have maybe one cigarette a week to help keep my withdraws at a minimum for my job.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

True, but driving drunk has a very real chance of murdering everyone on the road with you, instantly.

Smoking cig's around me wont kill me quickly, a prolonged period of it will give me health effects.

Where driving drunk has the potential to wipe out a family in a second. Thats why its illegal!

I'm not saying cigs should be banned for their effects on other people, but because cigs are designed specifically to be addictive for greed. It clogs up hospitals and once your hooked its very very very hard to get off!

but i appreciate your point of view! Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

link   

Originally posted by Dondylion

Your smoke also escapes your household and goes into the air for everyone around you to breathe. My argument does work.

Also, nice way of avoiding my other points.

Okay, while I agree wholeheartedly that second hand smoke is harmful and unfair to expose people too. I almost think it shoud be a crime to expose someone to second hand smoke without their approval. However, I dont think it is fair, or consisent to apply your argument for the air outside your house. If that was the case, then you should not be able to drive a carbon fuel powered car, and companies should not be able to porduce ANY product that produces harmful fumes. All these proccessing plants, and refineries would have to be shut down too. No more airplane flights, or rocket launches, etc.... Do you see what I am saying? You cant really apply that argument to the air outside, since it doesnt even match up with the harmful effects of automobiles and such.

link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

I am just laughing my hart out, why? because since the "gun control" talks in Washington all the anti freedom and anti Constitution freaks are showing up their ugly head all around the nation specially those that are sitting in positions of power.

This is a good time to take a good look at who are the ones sponsoring moronic laws and taking advantage of constitutional issues in your state, they are the real traitors and terrorist in American they want to terrorize freedoms of choice

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Who are you to tell me how to live my life? You're not God. You don't own me.

When I smoke a $10 cigar I enjoy the hell out of it. If I didn't I wouldn't pay that much for it.

You seem to think that everyone has to and wants to feel healthy. You're wrong.

I eat butter, I put half and half in my coffee and I love meat. I'm not going to stop enjoying my life because you think I should be healthy.

I'd rather live how I want, smoke and eat what I want and die at 60 than eat vegetables, margarine, no meat and sweat my ass off at the gym and die at 80.

This is still a free country gxxxxxxxt.

Star to you!!
Someday, I want to die!!
Really I do, but in order to die I feel I must live first.
I have done many unhealthy things in my life and gone into more than one type of situation without my armor on.

If someone were to write a book on my life it may not be a nationwide bestseller but it would definetely be an interesting read.
And I did all of that without a prescription!
I don't want to exist, I wanna live!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

I see, you will avoid the question and deflect. Everyone has one form of vice or another.
Maybe you are narcissistic and you see yourself as perfect, that is a vice you know.
What if you were forced to take a pill for your mental deficiency lest you get jailed and fined?
Can you at least answer that one without deflecting? And thanks in advance.

My Vice? if you want me to tell you something negative about myself?
How about the fact I dont take crap, I stand up for my point of view no matter how hard being berate or charge against me. I'm wrong more than anyone, many a time on this site specifically ive changed my POV because of people challenging me, its why im here. But telling me cig's are a good and decent part of society that need to remain because you say so? is not a time im going to change my mind.

If I had a mental deficiency (IE a mental condition) then id probably welcome the 'pill' or medication. I dont see the point in your question?

why are you wanting to delve into my personal situation that has nothing to do with cigs?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join