It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico Bill Would Criminalize Abortions After Rape As 'Tampering With Evidence'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

New Mexico Bill Would Criminalize Abortions After Rape As 'Tampering With Evidence'

www.huffingtonpost.com

A Republican lawmaker in New Mexico introduced a bill on Wednesday that would legally require victims of rape to carry their pregnancies to term in order to use the fetus as evidence for a sexual assault trial.

House Bill 206, introduced by state Rep. Cathrynn Brown (R), would charge a rape victim who ended her pregnancy with a third-degree felony for "tampering with evidence."

“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest wit
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I call BULL****! A woman with the unfortunate luck to live in New Mexico, who undergoes a traumatic event such as rape and then has the unfortunate privilege of conceiving in the vicious act, now has to carry the baby to term in order to punish her abuser/violator? SERIOUSLY? Was the act itself not enough? What woman wants to carry a baby under those circumstances in her RIGHT MIND? Then what happens to the baby after birth? Surely they can't expect the mother to want it. IT IS BULL****. Seriously, the act itself is hard enough. I mean what's the next step, force her to marry her abuser/attacker? Just wait until they perfect gender reassignment and cloning. They will be incarcerating and killing women faster than the frickin crusades.

I want out of this ridiculous country now.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchPlayer

Sounds like we need some evaluations done on all of our representatives and politicians in general...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Don't forget, this was a female lawmaker pushing this mess...EVEN MORE DISTURBING!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I couldn't agree with you more! Stared and flagged!

This is disgraceful effort and misuse of power as a state representative. This woman should be fined for "Frivolous Bill" writing and wasting taxpayer dollars!

In fact I was so ticked off about this I did a thread on it this morning!

New Mexico Bill Would Criminalize Abortions After Rape

Existing Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 24-1-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Rubbish.

Either this is some kind of hoax, or that rep is very unfortunate in the IQ stakes.

The aborted fetus can be tested for DNA evidence.

What does she think, we only develop our DNA at the moment of birth?!!

I've a feeling she won't be getting voted back in.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, if this is accurate....That's another republican with ZERO chance of re-election on *HER* next shot.

With people like this in the party? Who the heck needs democrats to sling mud? Some of these people wallow in ignorance like a pig in slop. It makes me ashamed to admit I have been a Republican by registration when I hear things like this.

How in the world did the people there vote for this flaming idiot?

*I hadn't caught that name to realize it was a female Republican?! This gets worse and worse.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
DNA can be both extracted from the fetus while in womb, and in the event of an aborted fetus....

Right?? O.o

How on Earth are.... nevermind...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime," the bill says.

So not only is it going after the victim who's pregnant, but her friends/family, the doctors/nurses, her psychiatrist, the police, and anybody else that gives her any "influence", whether conspiratoral in nature or otherwise into getting rid of the damn thing or "coercion into it". That word "intent" is a monster.
edit on 24-1-2013 by ArchPlayer because: I heard the mothership coming.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
using their laws against them.

what fault is it of the kid, that his mother was raped.

why should the kid pay the ultimate penalty for the crimes of his or her father.

that's not justice. neither merciful, neither compassionate, neither right.

the issue at hand is the right to exist on earth. not who will take of him/her when he's or she is born, or who will change his or her diapers.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Okay, so why is it tampering with evidence to have the abortion? The material can be collected during the abortion and tada, half mother/half rapist DNA. Which unfortunately leads to a whole number of loop holes in the criminal system. Now not only is the attackers DNA involved, the mothers is as well, and enough markers can be shared with killer, mother, killers family, mothers family to really make a mess of things and draw out the Match.

In reality, the best evidence to convict a rapist is collected as soon as the rape is reported by doing a sexual assault "kit" or exam. Forcing the mother to carry the baby to term is just cruel and unusual punishment in this ass backwards world we live in.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

It can also be collected while in the womb.

Amniocentesis.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchPlayer
Don't forget, this was a female lawmaker pushing this mess...EVEN MORE DISTURBING!!!!

Yes it was Republican rep. Cathrynn Brown and her Republican cohorts in the New Mexico government
are running from her as fast as they can. They realize this type of dumbass talk will reflect on all Republicans and virtually assure a Democrat sweep in the next election. Rep Brown will be forced to retire damn quick to try and stem the damage to the GOP. She now is trying to backpedal but she just turned herself into persona non grata in New Mexico politics and will never ever be taken seriously.

cathrynnbrown.com...

She could have saved herself a world of grief if she had read my signature.
edit on 24-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Dear windword,

I hope you don't mind my reposting a comment I made in your other thread. These are both up and running, so I thought it appropriate.

A great joy to see you again, and I understand your being upset in this matter. I hope you won't think less of me for taking the opposite side from everyone in this thread. I think it needs a little more thought, although I applaud your instincts.

I'll argue that this is a good and constitutional law, and that women should celebrate it. I hope you don't mind if I repeat the only change to an existing bill dealing with the tampering of evidence:

“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime," (Emphasis added)

There is nothing here that says a woman has to take the child to term, or that she can't have an abortion. It only punishes those who obtain or coerce another to obtain an abortion in order to destroy evidence.

Under this law, if a rape victim gets an abortion, she faces up to 3 years in prison for felony charges!

So, this statement is not quite accurate.

A woman could go into a hospital and say "I want an abortion, I was raped three months ago (or last week) and you should keep some tissue as evidence." No problem and the evidence is preserved. Yes, as posters have pointed out, you can get tissue from the foetus, but there is no reason to unless the woman claims rape or incest.

Think of an abusive boyfriend who says "Get an abortion. Keep your mouth shut, I'll be in there with you. Say a word and I'll kill you." The boyfriend can be charged under this law.

Pat Davis of ProgressNow New Mexico, a progressive nonprofit opposing the bill, called it "blatantly unconstitutional" on Thursday. “The bill turns victims of rape and incest into felons and forces them to become incubators of evidence for the state,” he said. “According to Republican philosophy, victims who are ‘legitimately raped’ will now have to carry the fetus to term in order to prove their case.“

This is a combination of several false statements.

In short, this bill places no extra burden on the woman and adds a penalty for those trying to hide evidence of a crime. I like it.

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 24-1-2013 by charles1952 because: Bracket problems

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
You know, I'm actually not a big fan of abortion, not even for rape but I almost feel like the idiots who pass these laws WANT people to turn to the pro-choice side, because it makes the pro abortion people seem rational and sane.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Oh come on now....

You know as well as I do that Rep. Brown is a pro life zealot and this bill has just shown her true colors by Trying to infringe on a woman's right to chose. That was her intent and it's made the GOP look like a bunch of fools once again.

As long as the GOP continues to adopt this anti choice stance they are destined to failure. Even most conservative women want government out of their womb.

edit on 24-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

It only punishes those who coerce another to obtain an abortion in order to destroy evidence.

But an abortion isn't destroying evidence to begin with.

That's what doesn't make sense.

DNA evidence can be taken post-abortion. During fetal development. Or after the baby is born. At any stage, regardless.

The only reason an abortion would obstruct evidence is if people actually conspired to get rid of the aborted fetus before DNA analysis could take place.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
using their laws against them.

what fault is it of the kid, that his mother was raped.

why should the kid pay the ultimate penalty for the crimes of his or her father.

The kid isn't paying any penalty. The kid doesn't even know it exists.

Know what would be cruel? Bringing a rape baby into the world. Imagine getting to a certain age then having that kind of information given to you. I think if I was ever told that I was the product of rape I'd look back on it and wish I had been vacuumed.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
Know what would be cruel? Bringing a rape baby into the world. Imagine getting to a certain age then having that kind of information given to you. I think if I was ever told that I was the product of rape I'd look back on it and wish I had been vacuumed.

I think that's a negative attitude. I read a story about a teenage girl who had her baby after being raped and she absolutely loves him (her son not the rapist). Just because the baby's father is a jerk doesn't mean their life couldn't possibly be worthwhile.
edit on 24-1-2013 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

This is true, but a woman, who is the victim of rape, should not be forced to report that rape to the police, and therefore have to submit herself to the court procedures of prosecution through her public testimony and the defense's scrutiny and accusations, in order to obtain an abortion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join