It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robber's Change of Heart Inspires Clerk to Make Pizza

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Robber's Change of Heart Inspires Clerk to Make Pizza

news.yahoo.com

When a crime is committed, it's not always a matter of black and white: Just because someone commits a crime does not mean that person is automatically bad. Take what happened at a Papa John's in the Helena, Montana, area. A man, armed with a knife, allegedly walked into the pizzeria early Tuesday morning as the staff was closing for the night and passed the clerk a note demanding money from the register.

When the clerk began taking money out of the register to give to the alleged robber, the robber began to cry. As he cried, he explained to the clerk that he needed money for his wife and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It's hard to really know what to expect, even in a situation like that. Nevertheless, it's pretty amazing, the end result.

Things like this show the humility of some people, and the ability for bad decisions to turn around due to the guilt and compassion that a person has, even as they are about to commit a crime like this.

Life is a curious thing, people, even curiouser.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProperlyErrant

Life is a curious thing, people, even curiouser.

very well stated and Absolutely True.

, at times.

?;puz:?
:shk:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I thought I would add this as it answers what was my first question.....what happened to the guy and what do they plan to do about it?

"In Helena, I don't recall recently something like this has happened," McGee said. "We have had a few in the past where people have changed their minds. But actually sitting down and waiting for the food and that sort of thing, no."

McGee said he's not sure what he could charge the man with.

"We'd like to locate the suspect," McGee said. "We'd hate to have him do this again."
Source

This really does sound like Montana. It's a different kind of place up there in some ways, IMO. What a story. S/F!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hopefully , if they choose to not prosecute, he will be located and documented at the very least, he could potentially take it a step further next time, or even more than 'just a step'.
If anyone has shown sympathy to his motivation, he may feel this could be used as leverage in the future.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

I'd certainly agree the man needs a chat with the local cops and a report written up. Who knows what his background or situation is?

That being said..Indeed, I hope they wouldn't prosecute. It would send a bad message to other first timers who might get cold feet like this guy did. It'd tell them that once started, they better just finish it because they're going down regardless of second thoughts or remorse. I'd prefer they have a way out right up to the point someone is truly victimized.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
What morons the police are here-the guy gave up on his own. The lady was getting him the money and it sounds like he stopped it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Unless,
It was all part of his plan in the first place.
Some people I've seen are capable of creating criminal plans purely on taking advantage of the good hearts, and innocence, of naive victims to get what they want and not be prosecuted for any violation in the end,.. because their supposed 'had a change of heart' act played out actually tugged their heart strings.
Wouldn't you choose this clever path if it meant getting away clean? You already have by saying he should not be prosecuted, you got suckered!

I've worked many cases like this, what some people are capable of doing to get what they want is unthinkable in most of our minds.
I've seen mothers, go door to door, with their child. Ask for water...then once inside, ask for help to feed them etc.
Once the good hearted citizen goes to another room to get water, or some food, the mother (and Child!) clean out her purse. Then ask to use the rest room where meds and jewelry is taken. Nothing noticed until they have left and are long gone.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Okay, you've got me curious as to your thinking? (I also noticed the comment about working similar cases)

Would someone but a chronically homeless with nothing really left to lose do all that for a Pizza? This is Montana he did it in. Guns aren't something unusual...they are literally a way of life. He could easily have been shot by someone coming out from the back realizing their moment had come. Heck of a risk? Or would you think he may have been thinking something else that never came about, aside from the foiled register receipts?

edit on 24-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Okay, you've got me curious as to your thinking? (I also noticed the comment about working similar cases)

You might be on to me...shhh

Would someone but a chronically homeless with nothing really left to lose do all that for a Pizza? This is Montana he did it in. Guns aren't something unusual...they are literally a way of life. He could easily have been shot by someone coming out from the back realizing their moment had come. Heck of a risk?

Yes, guns mean nothing when you have nothing to lose. Think about this mental state for a moment, someone shooting you would end the everyday madness that controls you.
Drugs mean everything, and thats what all your money is spent on. If you're a 'newbie' at this game, you may break down and cry on your first attempt at stealing something to feed you and for your family, because you blew all your money on dope, and you have to live with the fact that this is what you've been reduced to.

Most do not realize that most robberies and burglaries, are motivated by drug addiction. (Extremely rare for those who are simply unemployed, or 'down on their luck')
I'm retired from all this drug related madness thank goodness, and I just see it still going on day in day out. So sad..

ps, I edited my above post as well.

OP, thoughts?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Now watch, in the coming days, this poor guy will get fired for trying to help the guy out.

Wait for it...
edit on 24-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I wouldnt be surprised... sadly

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I think the guy should be prosecuted with at least threat to life with a deadly weapon or some charge like this, im no cop or lawyer...

But I don't see how you think he planned this, but then say he broke down in the moment realizing his new found pathetic state.. He went in for money and didn't get it. How's that all his plan. You mentioned a similar case with jewelry, but what does that have to do with a $10 pizza?

You say he "got away with it." and yea sure he got out of it, but he didn't get away with anything.

It's WAY easier to grab some food off the shelves in a grocery store than demand money and start crying over it.. to get a pizza.

I agree the guy is dangerous. I wouldn't have let him go, but giving him a pizza could have been a stalling tactic.. I bet cops take a while to get out there..

edit on 1/25/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Mixed opinions here but if he or his family (especially having a family with a child) he would certainly qualify for food stamps.

Gs

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

But I don't see how you think he planned this, but then say he broke down in the moment realizing his new found pathetic state.. He went in for money and didn't get it. How's that all his plan. You mentioned a similar case with jewelry, but what does that have to do with a $10 pizza?

I'm not saying HE planned it to go that way dusty, I said "Unless,
It was all part of his plan in the first place. " in response to wrabbit. In my previous responses I only mention other possible motives (intentions) based on accounts I've investigated and have experienced...perspectives many citizens might not be aware of.

You say he "got away with it." and yea sure he got out of it, but he didn't get away with anything.

It's WAY easier to grab some food off the shelves in a grocery store than demand money and start crying over it.. to get a pizza.

I'm guessing he wanted money for drugs, I can't say for certain I wasn't in his mind at the time obviously, but again I've seen 'newbie' drug addicts get cold feet and halt their 'first crime' while in progress because they realize they are now resorting to robbery to compensate for their addiction...some break down, most don't hang around.. they flee (chicken out).
He stayed, then maybe chose to play the sympathy card to deflect the impact of his crime from the victims. Again, I'm only putting motives out there that many might not consider because they have not ever been directly involved with these individuals and the robbery, burglary, or grand theft they committed.

I agree the guy is dangerous. I wouldn't have let him go, but giving him a pizza could have been a stalling tactic.. I bet cops take a while to get out there..

Pizza as a stalling tactic is certainly a possibility, I've seen others come up with some clever stalling tactics until police arrive...quite humorous.

Not sure I understand why you think the cops would 'take a while to get out there'. It's just another robbery in progress call to respond to like any other robbery in progress call. Dispatch could update the responding officers with the information that the suspect has sat down, is crying and is no longer a threat.
Officer discretion to downgrade the response level put highly unlikely because the situation can go back to being threatening again.
Better to hurry and get there in case it does.
However I've heard of some agencies in a number of cities with some really pathetic response times sadly.

edit on 25-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonewulph

Not sure I understand why you think the cops would 'take a while to get out there'. It's just another robbery in progress call to respond to like any other robbery in progress call. Dispatch could update the responding officers with the information that the suspect has sat down, is crying and is no longer a threat.
Officer discretion to downgrade the response level put highly unlikely because the situation can go back to being threatening again.
Better to hurry and get there in case it does.
However I've heard of some agencies in a number of cities with some really pathetic response times sadly.

The rest of this we are agreeing on, but I think your and My thought processes don't jive. I agree about the drug part. I know when I was homeless I still would have never been able to hurt anyone, or their property.. Instead I hung out with some mexican guys who gave me cervesa and mexican food out of the back of some random mexican place.

About the response times. I was only assuming (admittedly) that response times might be slow in Montana..
Also because the story didn't seem to say the guy was identified even though he waited for a pizza.. Or did I read it wrong?

I know where I am from a cop could be there in 4 minutes almost wherever you are. Just seems like the guy should have already been arrested..

IS it not a crime to brandish a weapon and threaten someone with said deadly weapon in an attempted robbery?

As far as my limited (not civilian) understanding goes that's like 3 crimes already...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

About the response times. I was only assuming (admittedly) that response times might be slow in Montana..
Also because the story didn't seem to say the guy was identified even though he waited for a pizza.. Or did I read it wrong?

You got me there, I would imagine response time would be pretty slow out in the middle of no where.
I was under the impression they gave him pizza and he left, so there I go assuming again too.

I know where I am from a cop could be there in 4 minutes almost wherever you are. Just seems like the guy should have already been arrested..

I guess we're left to speculate there too.

IS it not a crime to brandish a weapon and threaten someone with said deadly weapon in an attempted robbery?
As far as my limited (not civilian) understanding goes that's like 3 crimes already...

Yes sir, Armed robbery would be the charge. The 'threatening someone' part is considered the 'lesser included' part of the crime that is necessary to make the crime of Armed Robbery complete.
i.e.
To charge 'Armed Robbery:'

Suspect is Armed + taking property by forceful threat + involving a weapon ( that can cause death or great bodily harm.)

Using fists or feet or verbal threats to rob still constitutes only a 'Robbery'.

As far as him being physically arrested. If upon police arrival and investigation the 'victims' decide they DO NOT desire to prosecute, then they will sign a statement (Declination of Prosecution), and the police will be on their merry way. No victim, no crime.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Most do not realize that most robberies and burglaries, are motivated by drug addiction. (Extremely rare for those who are simply unemployed, or 'down on their luck')
I'm retired from all this drug related madness thank goodness, and I just see it still going on day in day out. So sad..

ps, I edited my above post as well.

OP, thoughts?

Yes most robberies are motivated by drug addiction, but IMO it's EXTREMELY unlikely that's the case in this instance. An addict will not give up until he has his fix, he doesn't care about anything else - a pizza and wings mean absolutely nothing when compared to money for drugs.

Many years ago I had a friend who was a hardcore drug addict, unbeknownst to me. He would knock on my door at crazy hours of the night with a concocted story, asking to borrow money for gas or something like that.

For a long time I would give him this money until one day I realized what was up. The next time he showed up I told him I wasn't going to give him money. He would not leave, he insisted and pleaded, even to the point where he got on his knees and begged.

Now he's a very non-violent guy and so am I so it never escalated in that way, but he just would not give up. I literally had to push him out and slam the door in his face because he would not listen. It was clear to me that he couldn't control himself.

This guy in the article just decides to go along with food instead of money, it is HIGHLY unlikely that this crime is in any way connected with drugs - which is what you seem to be implying.

If you're not implying that, then just disregard this post.
edit on 25-1-2013 by BrandonD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

As far as him being physically arrested. If upon police arrival and investigation the 'victims' decide they DO NOT desire to prosecute, then they will sign a statement (Declination of Prosecution), and the police will be on their merry way. No victim, no crime.

So, if someone shot me and I was ok after a hospital visit, and I was still scared of them (thinking 5 years in the future when he gets out) and I said to the cops, nah guys, leave him alone... There is no direct criminal anything? He just goes on his merry way?

When is it the State or the Federal Government that get's to prosecute regardless of the people's wishes involved?

edit on 1/25/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

So, if someone shot me and I was ok after a hospital visit, and I was still scared of them (thinking 5 years in the future when he gets out) and I said to the cops, nah guys, leave him alone... There is no direct criminal anything? He just goes on his marry way?

When is it the State or the Federal Government that get's to prosecute regardless of the people's wishes involved?

What idiot would get shot by someone, be afraid of them, and STILL tell the cops not to press charges?

The only circumstances where that happens is in instances of spousal abuse and child abuse. It pretty much NEVER happens with regard to strangers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join