It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Owns The Wheelie Bin Companies????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I ask a very serious question. The wheelie bin - the bain of my life - required by EU legislation, to separate all my rubbish into neat recyclable piles, is everywhere. Some houses in my area have five of these plastic monstrosities on their doorstep in a rainbow of colours.

Here it is;

Europe has 194625000 households.....these bins come in at £43 each. If every house has five wheelie bins that's 194625000 @ £43 x 5 = £41844375000

Come on!!! In plastic trash?

Really?

Why can't we do what the Swiss do - and go down to the local shop and buy a strip of coloured stickers to stick on our black bags (to denote the contents) and pay for collection and sort the rubbish in one fell (cheap) swoop?

The fact that we MUST use a wheelie bin is EU legislation - I can't help but think that someone somewhere is gaining huge amounts of dosh at MY expense.

And they're really ugly at my door too.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Haha, we get them for free here in Australia, and only have to pay for extra bins.

We get 1 standard rubbish, 1 recycling and 1 garden waste.....all for free.

I do love this country sometimes.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Yeah
maybe you do - but some wheelie bin manufacturer somewhere loves your country even more than you do - they're raking it in. You may get it for free but someone somewhere is paying for it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I'm sure I'm paying for it somewhere. But I like the system, it's organised and functional.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So is Switzerland's - a wee sticker on a black bag that you pre-sort. It's cheap and efficient. You may think it's cheap but my council tax (local tax) says it is not. Right now I pay £140/month to have my rubbish collected once very two weeks.

There is a vested interest somewhere.

The last UK government was hell bent on introducing id cards 0- which were to cost us £60 a head to own (under threat of a £1500 fine if we didn't have it on us). Turns out that the last leader of the labour party (Neil Kinnock - an EU Commissioner) was on the board of the company that had won the contract to supply these cards.

My question is genuine. Who owns the wheelie bin manufacturing company?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The other day I noticed a small brown plastic box at my front door,that said for food waste only! Inside was small plastic bags that the person has to put his food waste in and put it in the bin that holds the garden rubbish in which contains grass and twigs etc.
The twigs will burst the plastic bags and all the food will go everywhere in the bin so whose bright idea was this?
Utter crap and a no brainier! Mine will go the usual way because most of it ends up in Pakistan or India anyway by the big companies who ship it out there instead of landfill. Also, they put it there without sorting it according to a recent BBC programme.
We have 4 of these bins and I hate them with a vengeance !

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
So is Switzerland's - a wee sticker on a black bag that you pre-sort. It's cheap and efficient. You may think it's cheap but my council tax (local tax) says it is not. Right now I pay £140/month to have my rubbish collected once very two weeks.

There is a vested interest somewhere.

The last UK government was hell bent on introducing id cards 0- which were to cost us £60 a head to own (under threat of a £1500 fine if we didn't have it on us). Turns out that the last leader of the labour party (Neil Kinnock - an EU Commissioner) was on the board of the company that had won the contract to supply these cards.

My question is genuine. Who owns the wheelie bin manufacturing company?

This company probably own it as they are the biggest in the UK I understand.

MGB Plastics Ltd.
Barbot Hall Industrial Estate
Mangham Road
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
S61 4RJ
England

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Here's a question...

If you throw away trash/rubbish in a wheelie bin, what happens when you need to throw a wheelie bin away? Are there even bigger wheelie bins?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I hear ya....bain of my life too!

The house I live in means that because my backgarden isn't very accessible, I have no choice except to place them in my front garden. Two black one's, two brown ones one green one! It's the same for my neighbour's.....make's my otherwise pleasant neighbourhood look like a ghetto!

Oh and woe betide if I forget to put them on the path on collection day....they won'r walk the extra 4 feet into my garden to get them!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Thought this was kind of relevant to the Op

Councils are generating hundreds of thousands of pounds a year selling bins at a profit, a survey by the Daily Telegraph disclosed.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Not only is someone lining pockets via mandated purchasing of their item (like Obamacare, or the Grope-n-Rope scanners used by the TSA, it is legislation mandating the purchase of a product), but they are doing it at the cost of sanity.

The problem isn't that trash needs to be parsed. Its that trash needs to be produced in smaller quantities. Any laws on the books to force a reduction in the production of garbage? Especially things like plastics?

Yeah....didn't think so.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

We have them here in Florida. What I found interesting is that each one has a serial number on it. And is assigned to a specific house/property. Now why in the world would they need to serialize a garbage can? They also weigh each can every time they dump (done automatically while the arm is lifting it into the truck). The only thing I could come up with here is if suddenly your garbage weight increased dramatically in a week's time, maybe your harboring illegals (also known as colonists).

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I get your point about about who makes them and the possible corruption implications, but personally I like them as we used to have a problem with foxes ripping bin bags apart. Ours were free though... Or at least paid for indirectly via the council tax.

Interestingly, our neighbouring council doesn't have them... Are there ways around the EU ruling or is not enforced?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The wheelie bins we have in my area of the U.K. (Merseyside) & we have 3 of them, Purple for household waste, Blue for recycling and Green for garden/organic waste, are manufactured by Plastic Omnium, a French Company.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shantyknight

We have them here in Florida. What I found interesting is that each one has a serial number on it. And is assigned to a specific house/property. Now why in the world would they need to serialize a garbage can? They also weigh each can every time they dump (done automatically while the arm is lifting it into the truck). The only thing I could come up with here is if suddenly your garbage weight increased dramatically in a week's time, maybe your harboring illegals (also known as colonists).

The serial number is so they can charge you extra if the thing is more than full (top up at a certain angle). Everyone is charged a different amount depending on the size of the bin; as a single person, I had the smallest bin and was charged the least per month. It also helps them know if the bins are out of place or not on the street.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There is a very serious reason for the bins - property.

If YOUR trash bins were still used, the "property" in them is yours. You would be entitled to any money generated from the sale of your property - cardboard, glass, plastic etc.

Because the bins are the "property" of the state, you forfeit your claim when you place your property into THEIR bins on THEIR street for pickup. They are free to collect whatever money they can from selling YOUR property. Did they tell you this?

If that isn't greedy enough, they want to make sure that their sales of your property are profitable, so your pay their service fees, so the "pick up" isn't eating into their profits. Kind of like the mafia charging your for pickup of your waste, then selling your waste to make a few extra bucks - wait, kind of like?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
OMG you've introduced me to whole new angle on this issue that is just going to make my angry farmer dance even livelier.

I hadn't thought about it to that extent.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by commencalrider

A French company? I might have known a local company wouldn't be reaping the benefits. I wonder who sits on their board of directors?

I calculated in the op that 41 billion, 844 million and 375 thousand pounds is raised by the sale of these bins in Europe alone......I wonder how much corporation tax this lot pay?
edit on 25-1-2013 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Yes, I remember back in the good old days (bwb - before wheelie bins) the binmen would collect ALL of our rubbish....now if it doesn't fit in the bin - tough. It's definitely leading to an increase in vermin.

There are houses round our way we call four in a block - each side of the building has ten of these things lined up outside the front door - they are an ugly eyesore and ruin every single house's garden area.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Good point - I do know of people who will stand at the supermarket and remove all necessary packaging from their groceries and put it in the supermarkets bins ....maybe adopting that tactic will force them to cut down on the waste.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join