It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

28,000 year-old bone and ivory art from Siberia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Source

A late 2012 article in the journal Antiquity featured the well preserved and extensive bone and ivory artifacts recovered from the Yana Rhinoceros Horn Sites, six 28,000 year old sites located above the Arctic Circle in far eastern Siberia. Yana RHS is important for a number of reasons, not the least is its age and location, east of the Verkhoyansk Range in Siberia, and thus close enough in time and space to be a candidate site for the initial colonists of the Americas. Putting the article in Antiquity allowed the researchers to show off color images of the artifacts, some of which lead archaeologist Vladimir V. Pitulko was kind enough to let me use in this new photo essay.

Link to Essay

I just thought I would share this with you all as I love stuff like this and hopefully you do too.

This is a very interesting find and the fact they can date it back to 28,000 years ago is telling. Hopefully more will come about as it will provide more information on people coming to North America.

I wonder if the bone being that old if the writing could be done at a much later date...hmmm

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I am no expert but I guess bones could be found at a later date and carved into them then, the one on the left hand side reminds me of some of the Sumerian cuneiform just a little.
The one on the right has the shape of an Airplane

Who knows?
S+F

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

That's great Pred, thanks for posting this

It boggles my mind to think that people were living that far north during the ice age.
Fascinating

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Sure the carving could be younger than the bone, but most dating of these sorts of artefacts are dated not only by RCD the bone itself, but aging the strata the object was found in.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
reply to post by predator0187

That's great Pred, thanks for posting this

It boggles my mind to think that people were living that far north during the ice age.
Fascinating

It is amazing that they survived in those extremes isn't it.

Saying that, i suppose it's no different to Siberian Reindeer herders of today...they often have to cope with minus 60 - minus 70 degrees C.

ETA; Anyone else noticed that those symbols carved into the lower portion of both bones, when put together almost seem to spell out 'arrrmon' (armon/amun/amen)

Could be a rasta arrrrr mon! too i s'pose
edit on 24-1-2013 by MysterX because: added comment

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
ok, so it looks as though Siberia had a warmer climate 30,000 years ago.
During a break between ice ages. Interesting!

from 2004,

They also found the broken, cut and burnt bones of mammoths, musk ox, brown bear, wolverine, bison, horses and cave lion, and identified the pollen of larch and birch. The finds confirmed a picture of a cool, dry climate, with abundant game

"Abundant game means lots of food," Julie Brigham-Grette of the University of Massachusetts told Science. "It was not stark tundra, as one might imagine."

www.guardian.co.uk

I wonder how warm it was so Siberia had a sustained cool, dry climate

Is global warming a natural event, the opposite of an ice age?
edit on 24-1-2013 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
4,000 years tops

28,000 lololol

these arent scientists...but gnostic taught scientists

tut

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
right one looks like a triangle spaceship departing ( taking off ) off the ground...nah ??Text

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Remember,
During the last ice age most of the free fresh water in the northern hemisphere was locked up in the north American an European ice sheets. Most of northern siberia was very arid, and I'd imagine that since the free freshwater was locked up in continental ice sheets, the arctic ocean was relatively ice free.
Without the reflective ice pack the water would absorb more solar radiation, and water holds heat better than land so the ocean would have moderated the temperature well into coastal plain.
Also rivers moderate micro climates in their area.
Winters would have been harsh, but summer temps could have been in the 40-50 deg. F range as they are now in the same region.
The animal assemblage they reference would have been arctic adapted varieties such as the wooly rhyno, the horses would have had very shaggy coats like horses found in modern northern climes
What is most important about the Yana river area its here that we find cultural transition from an earlier neanderthal occupation to modern humans, with the moderns adapting the neanderthal technologies and living techniques.
For those interested in the early occupation of the arctic look to Bluefish cave in Canada.

Bluefish Caves is the name of a Paleoarctic archaeological site composed by a series of small caves located in the Yukon Territory, Canada. The site represents one of the earliest evidence of human occupation in the North American continent. Remains of Pleistocene mammoth, bison, horse, caribou and muskoxen, were found in shallow deposits within three limestone cavities located above the Bluefish river

archaeology.about.com...
And

Bluefish Caves is an archaeological site in Yukon, Canada, located 54 km southwest of the Vuntut Gwichin community of Old Crow, from which a specimen of allegedly human-worked mammoth bone has been radiocarbon dated to 28,000 years before present (y.b.p.).

Bluefish Cave was initially discovered by a fish expedition in 1976. [1] The initial find of a mammoth bone spear point was made by archaeologist Jacques Cinq-Mars in 1978-79, [1] but not radiocarbon dated and published until the early 1990s due to lack of funding. As the Clovis-First theory, which dominated New World archaeology until recent years, is revered by the archeological establishment, the research of Cinq-Mars that suggests a date of 28,000 y.b.p. was largely ignored, and he was unable to obtain funding for follow-up research until 2008. [2] Findings at a site in Chile dated human existence there back to 12,500 years ago. With the Chile site findings being decreed valid by prominent archeologists, it gave renewed interest and possible validity in the Bluefish Cave sites.

Recently another team has discovered allegedly human-worked mammoth bone flakes in the Bluefish Caves area, radiocarbon dated to an even earlier period of 40,000 y.b.p. [2]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Now ima gonna bang my alternative American settlement drum.
The 40 k year old date for bluefish caves bolsteres the argument for a north American origin for culturaly modern humans.
There are controversial sites in Oklahoma and Mexico that show human occupation
50k years ago.
That's discounting the absurdly old sites of valsequillo and calico hills that have datings in the range of 100-200k years .

new topics

top topics

join