Ireland in 2013. No Country For Old Men.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Thing is, this discussion isn't about guns. There is no 'gun problem' in Ireland like there is in America.
The homicide rate in Ireland is a lot less than it is in America so why on earth would anyone sane follow that example?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

what a pity the IRA disbanded,

No it isn't - tell that to the hundreds of innocents they murdered or the thousands who they terrorised in their own communities just to enable their drug running and racketering.

I suspect the scumbags going around targetting these vulnerable, elderly people are the sort of sick bastards who would have been attracted to the IRA and other para-militaries in the past.

One of the biggest complaints I hear from my many Irish friends and family, from both sides of the border, is that it is impossible for them to go anywhere without someone wanting to drag up The Troubles and The IRA etc at any opportunity, they just want to be treat like the normal, everyday people they are - guess this thread is proof that in any discussion relating to Ireland eventually someone, somewhere will drag up the Troubles etc regardless of relevance.
edit on 28/1/13 by Freeborn because: fix quote

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonChild02

These jerks are the same as the former British occupation. They used to do the exact same things: steal from the weak, put fear into those who can't fight back, etc. The younger generations need to be taught that this is one of those things the Brits did to the Irish

And the other thing you can guarantee in any discussion about Ireland is that regardless of relevance there will always be a fair sprinkling of good old Brit bashing - usually from people who have absolutely no first hand knowledge of Ireland.

Truly pathetic and detracts from one of the best OP's and threads I've read in a while.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

A year or so ago I went to Ireland and loved every minute of it. If I have the money I will one day move there and if I have it in my ability I will help the elderly. Kudos to the axe wielding old woman. Want to help those that can't otherwise defend themselves? Guns would help. Those following the gun laws are the only ones subject to its cosiquences when criminals ignoring those laws come about. I love Ireland and I wish it all the best.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

I have read some of your gun rules in the UK and Australia . They make me sick . I don't want to go down to the police dept and pleed to them that I need a gun and try to explain why I need a gun and they don't carry one . No simiauto guns in Aussiville and nothing over a 38 . Then in UK airguns ? And the 1997 gun act in UK clamped down on hand guns I think 22 cal is all allowed and shotguns to no pump or simi , no rifles simi . No Glocks ! In Canada its about the same thing . They got rid of all the guns that could resist the NWO and could care less that a 22 bolt action rifle will kill or a 22 revolver will kill the people .
Funny thing is the UK had the same incident as America has had . The NWO bunch wants to make sure they have no resistance . They could give a crap about you or me .

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
reply to post by biggilo

I have read some of your gun rules in the UK and Australia . They make me sick . I don't want to go down to the police dept and pleed to them that I need a gun and try to explain why I need a gun and they don't carry one . No simiauto guns in Aussiville and nothing over a 38 . Then in UK airguns ? And the 1997 gun act in UK clamped down on hand guns I think 22 cal is all allowed and shotguns to no pump or simi , no rifles simi . No Glocks ! In Canada its about the same thing . They got rid of all the guns that could resist the NWO and could care less that a 22 bolt action rifle will kill or a 22 revolver will kill the people .
Funny thing is the UK had the same incident as America has had . The NWO bunch wants to make sure they have no resistance . They could give a crap about you or me .

simon this isn't really a gun thread though is it. I am sure elderly people in Ireland would not be helped by having a gun in their house, in alot of instances. They may have slower reflexes, poor eye sight, hearing etc.

It is not appropriate for a 70 - 90 year old to be pistol packing, especially when they are not experienced with firearms.

What should happen is the most vulnerable in our societies are protected by those who are able bodied.

So why are the elderly in Ireland NOT being protected and cherished ? Why are they vulnerable as targets to marauding nutters/ druggies and criminals,

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

This is a topic about defenceless old people who can not have any form of protection from thugs invading their homes and possibly killing them . These old people are not nutcases that go shoot up schools . The young thugs still have guns and can kill with their fist or clubs . Why arent these responsible people allowed to have protection ? What has gun control accomplished? I'll tell you , giving the thugs the upper hand and preventing an uprising by the people when Agenda 21 is imposed on them .

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

This is a topic about defenceless old people who can not have any form of protection from thugs invading their homes and possibly killing them . These old people are not nutcases that go shoot up schools . The young thugs still have guns and can kill with their fist or clubs . Why arent these responsible people allowed to have protection ? What has gun control accomplished? I'll tell you , giving the thugs the upper hand and preventing an uprising by the people when Agenda 21 is imposed on them .

I realise that - all I am saying is that arming older people, who are not experienced with fireams, who may have cognitive deficits, failing eyesight and be hard of hearing is NOT a winner. Pleeeezzzzzzzze ..

Think about it !!

What needs to happen is that their communities and the Garda protect them approriately.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

There are always mitigating factors in every case . The point is thatthe thugs would nottake the time to investagate who does not have a gun and who does not . That means they are opportunist who would not take a chance of getting killed so the easy money thing is out . People can be trained quite quickly . If you fear an old person with a gun with little to loose , how much do you think one of those mindless thugs will fear them ? They might just try to get real work .

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

There are always mitigating factors in every case . The point is thatthe thugs would nottake the time to investagate who does not have a gun and who does not . That means they are opportunist who would not take a chance of getting killed so the easy money thing is out . People can be trained quite quickly . If you fear an old person with a gun with little to loose , how much do you think one of those mindless thugs will fear them ? They might just try to get real work .

I do not fear old people with guns and yes if they are well and able I think they should have a shot gun on the property. However - a little old woman with a zimmer frame could well get the shot gun turned onto her. I take your point though, although I still advocate, the garda improving their game and the local community protecting the vulnerable.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Over here in America the police can respond in 15 minutes . The crimminal can rob and kill you and be long gone before that supposing someome called them .If one breaks into a house over here his head will be hanging out the door flat of his back most likely. I have a CCW and as I enter my house my wife waits outside until I have checked for intrusion . I of course am armed and she wants it that way . Here the thugs will bump into the back of your car inducing you to stop and get out to check for damage ,then rob you and worse .This happened after leaving an airport where guns are not allowed , thus the criminal knew the man was unarmed after renting a car and leaving the area . He was killed for no reason .

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Over here in America the police can respond in 15 minutes . The crimminal can rob and kill you and be long gone before that supposing someome called them .If one breaks into a house over here his head will be hanging out the door flat of his back most likely. I have a CCW and as I enter my house my wife waits outside until I have checked for intrusion . I of course am armed and she wants it that way . Here the thugs will bump into the back of your car inducing you to stop and get out to check for damage ,then rob you and worse .This happened after leaving an airport where guns are not allowed , thus the criminal knew the man was unarmed after renting a car and leaving the area . He was killed for no reason .

Bloody hell that sounds like Johannesburg - scary stuff !

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

I read the OP, I thought HumansEh presented a thoughtful, well researched and intentioned social commentary. It read, to me, as a lament for the slow death of the country he obviously loves, it posed serious questions, and in his conclusion I thought he put his finger on the guilty parties very neatly. And your opening response was to accuse him of being on drugs.
I attempted, politely, to point out the many self-contradictions and logical fallacies in your posts, and you say I am ranting because I am disagreeing with you. You seem to take it as a personal attack, but I do not know you, I am simply responding to the words you have written.

Where do I contradict myself?

I provided a brief list in my third reply to you, but if you would like a more thorough response to that question I would be happy to oblige.

Bigoted towards Americans? How so?

Try asking that question to the American posters, one of them actually answered it already, but you musn't have noticed.

Are you sure you read the correct thread?

Is the Pope Catholic?
Peace, bro, try it. You might even like it.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggilo
There's enough guns on this island already, maybe you need to lay off smoking the wacky if you think we need more.
You make a good argument for social reforms and more funding to the Gards, thats about it.
Unless you just wanted to create a thread pandering to all the American gun lunatics?

Know many victims of these scum do you? you do realise it is these scum who would be supplying the guns?
edit on 25-1-2013 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

oh you must be form the occupied north then?

its not like the ulster brigades didn't do the same #. don't try to pretend your chosen side is innocent.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

Originally posted by biggilo
There's enough guns on this island already, maybe you need to lay off smoking the wacky if you think we need more.
You make a good argument for social reforms and more funding to the Gards, thats about it.
Unless you just wanted to create a thread pandering to all the American gun lunatics?

Know many victims of these scum do you? you do realise it is these scum who would be supplying the guns?

oh you must be form the occupied north then?

its not like the ulster brigades didn't do the same #. don't try to pretend your chosen side is innocent.

'occupied North' - get over yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your 'politics' have got nothing to do with vulnerable old people in Southern Ireland,

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Sounds just peachy over there ! Cheerio Can't you all just get along?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

The Glock 19 is a prohibited firearm in the British Empire including Australia . Any simiauto hand gun is prohibited or simiauto rifle . That includes Canada. Air guns are largely prohibited .
America doesn't want to be like that . Yet murder in those countries has not gone away . The UK has the highest percentage of it's population in JAIL in the world . Maybe you people shouldn't have guns .

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by CJCrawley

It is interesting to note that Chicago has the highest homicide rate here. They also banned guns. We would all love to see a world with no homicide. We would all love to see a world with no violence. It is unfortunately not obtainable until we stop breeding thugs. It is not possible until we truly address the root causes. Poverty, drugs, etc. Banning guns until the root causes are identified and solutions applied just leaves good people helpless and endangered by an ever increasing violent populace.

Would Chicago have had the same problems if the gun laws had been made before the guns had been allowed to be sold left, right and centre?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

I know for a fact that my friend owns a legally held 'Glock 19' which he stores at his local gun club, I don't care about guns so I haven't asked much about how many 'hoops' he had to jump through to get it, but regardless he does. I would suspect the fact he has to store it in the gun club is alot to do with it. Or am I being accussed of being a liar now as well?

The 'British Empire' doesn't exist anymore, there is a British Commonwealth but this is a VERY different thing.

I know Wikipedia can't be relied on as a totally reputable source, but then on ATS things like 'PressTV' are so I will throw this out there:

List of countries by incarceration

That doesn't look like a Union flag at the top to me, but maybe you would like to show me were you get your figures from.

reply to post by freebornman

Where I come from when an accusation is made the onus is on the person making the accusation to prove it, so again, please
How am I bigoted towards all Americans?
Where do I contradict myself?
And yes, I did compare Saudi Arabia to America, a bit sarcastically (though i suspect you don't know the meaning of the word), in America you can get shot for breaking into someones house and that is why I brought the comparison. I never said Saudi Arabia was civilised, I am actually saying quite the opposite.

In your 'third post' to me all you have done is whine about things you don't like that I have said not give examples of how I have done these things you accuse me of, you do understand the words 'contradiction' and 'bigotry' don't you?

And surely bringing things like Britain supposedly occupying Ireland or Americas gun problems in a conversation about rural crime in Ireland IS derailing the thread, unless I a missing something and if I am show me.

Northern Ireland is not 'occupied' by anyone, it is a democracy, it is also very well documented and published that the VAST majority of people living there want to be part of the UK first and would rather be part of an independent 'Northern Ireland' than united to the Republic of Ireland as a second choice.

Why bring Loyalist paramilitaries into this conversation?
I didn't, I don't support them, I would have more respect for the IRA than I do them, I support the rule of the law, the police and democratically elected representatives, this is my chosen side.
But if you want to talk about all this start a thread and I will happily discuss it with you.
edit on 29-1-2013 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Northern Ireland is not 'occupied' by anyone, it is a democracy, it is also very well documented and published that the VAST majority of people living there want to be part of the UK first and would rather be part of an independent 'Northern Ireland' than united to the Republic of Ireland as a second choice.

Why bring Loyalist paramilitaries into this conversation?
I didn't, I don't support them, I would have more respect for the IRA than I do them, I support the rule of the law, the police and democratically elected representatives, this is my chosen side.
But if you want to talk about all this start a thread and I will happily discuss it with you.
edit on 29-1-2013 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

my defensive statement was in response to yours, informing me that the IRA were scum.
my contention is not that their bombings were in anyway good or really an effective method of war.

BUT

they did keep crap gangland crime and drug crime down.
they acted as an unofficial garda. perhaps too harshly, but old people didnt have to fear being done over by irish chav wannabes.

you are completely right however that these things are better for another thread. and your tone or my interpretation of your tone leads me to apologise for sliding off topic.

accept my apologies (:

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join