It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland in 2013. No Country For Old Men.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

And surprise surprise, the rest of the World would rather America kept out of their business, but that seems beyond 'you'.
Also, if you think it is fine were you have an epidemic of lunatics running into schools and shooting the place up, fine, knock yourselves out, but as I said already, we are civilised here, even for murder a death sentence is a step backward for us, life imprisonment and rehabilitation sure. This is not what is being discussed here though, instead we have a bunch of gun toting 'eejits' from the other side of the World who are so unintelligent that they think the answer to violence is more violence...breaking news for you, IT ISN'T
EVERYONE on the island of Ireland are sick and tired of Americans sticking their noses into our business over here, sure we are happy to take your tourist dollars but believe me we ALL laugh at you when you are over tracing your heritage or whatever it is you call it. Your great great granny on your mothers side might of been Irish, that doesn't make you so. When your ancestor left Ireland they ceased to become Irish..
Each and every one of us know that is was your citizens who funded the ruthless terrorist campaign on this island. You think that endears you to the 99.9% of us who opposed it? I always remember the taxi driver in Dublin the day after 9/11 who (rightly or wrongly) mentioned how given the amount of funding to terrorists the New York fire brigade and Police Departments had done that there was certainly some sort of Karma at play. But then this guy just had the balls to say what the rest of us were thinking.
The real answer to this problem was mentioned on the first page of this thread, reverse policing cuts, social reforms, increase funding for prisons, rehabilitation etc but unfortunately the sensible discussion got derailed by the aforementioned idiots who think the the whole World revolves them and their silly little gun problems in their fading power of a country.
And on top of this you keep bringing Britain into it, I can understand your jealousy of Britain and hence why you keep attacking it but again it isn't really relevant to this discussion, is it?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

Naa, give them shotguns, the problem will take care of itself in short order. You are breeding thugs just like America is. All the wishy washy feel good stuff just empowers the thugs. Just like America. You are no different. Everybody wants peace and civility. It is unobtainable as long as we empower thugs. The day will come that your life will be directly effected if the path we are on is sustained. Only then will you understand that self defense is every humans right. Whether it is a rifle or a flamethrower. We must maintain the right to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Thugs should have no rights. Those politicians of ours are either armed or have bodyguards that are. To deny citizens the same protection falls under Unjust Law.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I have been a victim, assault and road rage, I speak from experience on that front. I also live in the country and have had my house burgled. If guns had been legal either I would of been shot or I would of been put in a position where I or a close relative would of had to pull a trigger, all of us would rather of taken a smack in the gob.
If everyone has a gun then it is inevitable more people WILL get hurt and not all will be thugs.
I am RIGHT WING, I would have some extreme views on punishments, I do agree that sentences etc are way too lenient but more violence is not the answer.
You have to try and see that the sensible answer is to strike at the root of the problem and prevent the majority of these crimes happening ion the first place. Ireland HAS for a long time had a problem with their prisons, this would be a good place to start.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

I guess we do not like England telling us we should give up our guns or be like England . Or how much better it is over there and we should be like England . . We are not the Colonies and never will be .

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

Any person that would beat a 90 year old woman can not be rehabilitated. Getting the scum off the planet is the only answer. They will be a blight on the world until their demise. They will infect others with their sickness. It is a never ending cycle unless we get rid of them and send a clear signal to those like them that justice will be served.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I don't disagree that they are scum and should be off the streets for good. Thing is, giving them a gun (and the 90 year old) isn't going to solve the problem, it will only make it worse.
I would favour castration, tough public works schemes etc, as I said, I am quite far right in my politics, but only in certain extreme cases. Deportation of all foreign criminals would be a start too.
Generally speaking proper rehabilitation for the average burglar works.

Originally posted by SimonPeter
reply to post by biggilo

I guess we do not like England telling us we should give up our guns or be like England . Or how much better it is over there and we should be like England . . We are not the Colonies and never will be .

First, it would maybe help you in your argument if you stopped referring to the UK as 'England', it just displays an ignorance for the World around you.
And secondly, I ask again, what has this got to with 'England' or the 'UK' for that matter? We are talking here about Ireland which has its own unique problems but you keep referring to and slagging England...you can see why one thinks you must be jealous..
Plus, you do realise I am not English don't you?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

Add a labotomy to the castration and we have some agreement.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

I have lost nothing in England , UK Ireland ,Wales or Australia . Jealous of what ? WE haven't been disarmed like you have . Ireland can't resist England or the UK or what ever without arms . I don't really care enough to study the UK's sibling rivalries .

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Do you understand the meaning of a 'coherent conversation'? It is something that is impossible to have with you, the word gibberish springs to mind when reading the above post, sorry.
Most people tend to find out a few facts about what they are talking about before they speak but not you obviously..for example, 'disarmed', who has been disarmed?
Just because we are civilised enough not to let pretty much any fool who wants to own a gun have one doesn't mean the rest of us can't, lots of British, Irish and Australians own guns, a very good friend of mine just got a Glock 19, or am I mistaken and that is not a gun?
You clearly display an inferiority complex but that's ok, I will not push the point.
I would bet you have never even left the country you live in.
But again, we are talking about the rise in crimes in rural Ireland..if you have nothing to further that discussion why continue on?
edit on 28-1-2013 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I still haven't heard 1 reason as to why a crime like burglary deserves death or extreme injury.
reply to post by biggilo

Can you give me one good reason why an OAP deserves to be robbed of their peace of mind, dignity, possessions and possibly even their life?
If you think that scum who deliberately target vulnerable elderly people should have ANY rights at all, I think you need to check your moral compass.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by freebornman

Show me where I said they do deserve this, I think you will find I didn't. If i gave that impression I am sorry, I am not defending the sort of scum who attack the elderly or even rob them.
NOBODY deserves to be shot without at least a trial and even then all you are doing is lowering yourself to their level if you execute them.
The death penalty is barbaric, or at least that is the consensus in MOST of the civilised world in which I include Ireland.
And, yes, every now and again a truly heinous crime does happen, emotions run high and calls for the death penalty to be reintroduced are raised, I will confess I am guilty of doing this myself (a certain case just this week from this side of the border in Ireland springs to mind)
Ireland doesn't need to take a step backwards and start arming everyone with guns, that is just plain stupid (imo) with the problems in America being the perfect example. But, even then America is different and there is a whole set of different arguments for why their citizens should or shouldn't be armed but from an outside observers point of view it doesn't look like it works. The fact that there is a gun debate going on in America at all is proof there MUST be a problem of some sort.
The actual 'problem' being discussed here isn't as big as it is being made out to be either, elderly people aren't being mugged and beaten day in day out but there is indeed a very serious criminal justice problem and policing problem in Ireland. Sentences are way too lenient and there is no where near enough Gards.
As easy as it would be to blame the 'greedy bankers' for this it wouldn't be striclty true either as the prison problem has been around and known for a long time, i.e before the 'Celtic Tiger' got de-clawed, you think you have seen corrupt politicians until you see Irish ones..
Also, you have to consider the impact of having a heavily armed and well funded terrorist organisation (IRA) running around the country with an influence over prison life, politicians and even some Gards. Only relatively recently could you say their influence has wained but is still there.
Ireland needs LESS GUNS not more...

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Show me where I said they do deserve this, I think you will find I didn't.
reply to post by biggilo

No. You show me where I said you said this. I think you'll find I didn't.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by freebornman

did you even bother to read my above post....if i gave that impression I am sorry, I am not defending them.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

Having actually read the entire thread, I note that:-

In your first post, you accuse the OP of taking illegal drugs.

You accuse the OP of 'pandering to american gun lunatics'.

In your numerous subsequent posts, you:-

Accuse other posters of bigotry, whilst parading your own bigotry towards Americans.

Opine that a country whose government cuts peoples head off with a sword, in public,
for crimes such as homosexuality, apostasy, and HOME INVASION, is civilised, whilst decrying
the death penalty as barbaric.

Accuse other members of derailing the thread if they disagree with you.

Contradict yourself with almost every passing sentence, and then accuse other members of
not being able to have a 'coherent conversation'.

And finally, you accuse me of putting words into your mouth, which I did not.

Perhaps you should quit, while you're ahead.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And what exactly have you contributed to this thread other than a rant against me? ZERO.
If you have nothing purposeful to contribute why bother wasting my time and your own with your silly ill thought out rants.
Where do I contradict myself?
Bigoted towards Americans? How so?
When I say people were derailing the thread, they were, they were ranting against Britain in a thread about crime in Ireland. Are you sure you read the correct thread?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggilo

When your ancestor left Ireland they ceased to become Irish..

That is so NOT true. My grandma was Irish - she lived in England when she married. She was born Irish, she died Irish, her parents were Irish as were her grandparents etc and all her brothers and sisters.

Her sister went to America when she was 20 - she was also was born and died Irish even though she died in America.

So steady on with your attempt to strip the Irish of their heritage.. !!!!!!!!

edit on 28-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Alright, fair comment there I suppose, but it gets tiring all these 'Irish' running around the planet banging on about the IRA and how bad the British are to Ireland when they haven't even set foot on the island.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggilo
reply to post by HelenConway

Alright, fair comment there I suppose, but it gets tiring all these 'Irish' running around the planet banging on about the IRA and how bad the British are to Ireland when they haven't even set foot on the island.

I know - it is tiresome

second

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

The anti-gun aussies and brits will avoid this thread like the plague.

Yeah, that's the answer - arm the population.

Nothing grandma and grandpops will like more than looking forward to playing Shoot It Up with some amoral punks, who will be armed themselves (they don't seem to be now).

Then Ireland can have the same homicide rate as the US.

Glmmphh...why didn't I think of that?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

It is interesting to note that Chicago has the highest homicide rate here. They also banned guns. We would all love to see a world with no homicide. We would all love to see a world with no violence. It is unfortunately not obtainable until we stop breeding thugs. It is not possible until we truly address the root causes. Poverty, drugs, etc. Banning guns until the root causes are identified and solutions applied just leaves good people helpless and endangered by an ever increasing violent populace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join