learn more

Is Depression Natural?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Ah, this drives me nuts, why people aren't told this - depression (not the really bad kind, "normal" depression) is a symptom of dehydration. A person hydrates themselves, the depression leaves. It's gone. It's a symptom.

A site that describes this is Watercure.com or Watercure2.com. I'll look for a link (just looked, lots of stuff on the net when "Depression" and "Dehydration" are joined. Watercure has a whole book on it, but you'd think I was a shrill if I linked it, so find it yourself.)

Drinking enough water means to drink water. Coffee, soda, etc., dehydrate the body even more, they remove water.

For those who are well hydrated, you can experiement, and don't drink water for about eight to ten hours. You will get depressed. And those ads on tv, "depression hurts". Well, listen to the symptoms that those ads list. All of them, repeat, all of them, are symptoms of dehydration (aching muscles, dry mouth, etc. - depression hurts indeed).

edit on 24-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

I think this is one of the most important things you can do for your body... and is likely to eliminate a lot of diseases and disorders, but 2 things you might want to keep in mind is that not every well hydrated person will escape depression so this could frustrate a lot of people, so just trying to be sympathetic there since something else could cause depression... although even then the water would likely help.

The second thing is a person can drink plenty of water, stay away from known diuretics and still become dehydrated... perhaps not even realize it and therefore think this advice was wrong. Dehydration can come from the weirdest sources.

... but I do agree it could probably eliminate most cases as well as most symptoms of most diseases... and I say this because I am not a big water drinker but read about what all you're talking about and started forcing myself to drink water and felt TOTALLY different.

Still yet... people on continuous IVs do not always recuperate from their issues. That part is kind of hard to deny because hospitals are full of sick people with IVs.

Still yet, GREAT advice.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
Don't let anyone tell you its not natural. Imagine what the world would be like if the only emotion you could experience was happy.Human society would collapse in no time. It requires people to get angry, get depressed to achieve anything.

So you're saying eternal happiness is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'd say depression is definitely natural and a simple outcome of just living. Sure, not everyone will hit the wall of severe depression. A lot of us will just go through the shallower end of depression and find our way out again.

Let's have a look at this? It was written a few years before over-population, before processed sugar, before nuclear testing, chemical pollution or Prozac.

Oh, that this too, too sullied flesh would melt,
Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew,
Or that the Everlasting had not fixed
His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God, God!
How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable
Seem to me all the uses of this world!
Fie on ’t, ah fie! 'Tis an unweeded garden
That grows to seed.
Link

It's some character who's so down they want to end it all and can't because God would condemn them to hell. They just want to melt away from life. They could be lyrics to a rock song. Metallica could've poached it for Fade to Back. Those ancient Greeks seem to have a word for just about anything and their old myths have a few tales that would be classed as depression these days. Before depression we called it melancholia.

There's no doubt that our western life-styles and pressures are contributory factors to depression and death. But let's not imagine it's a 20th/21st century phenomenon...the 'black dog' has been with us for centuries.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I was raised with pain as a punishment for any/all mistakes I made. Fear of pain was used after the initial pain as an enforcement tool to ensure compliance. Fear,resentment,and anger is what I learned(and maybe a touch of hate). I have had to deal with depression my whole life; and the depression hurts more than any physical pain I ever endured during my childhood. Being depressed is a response to one form of pain or another and it may never go away depending on your personal situation(but time WILL heal all wounds). If you are in any way depressed then you need to hear the words that I never have-"You are a Human Being and YOUR LIFE HAS VALUE!"

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Is depression natural? I do not believe so. Depression usually derives from the unnatural disconnection from existence. Osho puts it nicely when he said "The whole programming of modern society is for misery", and for those who wish to end their own misery have to learn how to get out of the programming the society has given to us.

What is natural? Spontaneous is natural, lack of spontaneous is not.
Living in the moment is natural, living in the past and future is not.
Being is natural, trying to become is not.

Depression can only occur when the mind is aiming for it, and every thought that arises is believed and argued with. In our modern society, one can get frustrated very easily. We are born into values which causes us a lot of misery, we want so many things but when we have it we suddenly couldn't care less about it. In modern society we are slaves to work and having enough money while at it, and to all of society's ideas of good and bad, right or wrong, perfect and non-perfect. It is a life of a chase after a dead-end, while the entire focus of ending depression is almost entirely and eternally trying to go outside, trying to find fulfillment in the outside world. But the outside world cannot end our own misery, but can only create it.

Thus, depression is not something you are born with. But something you learn while hanging around here. The first thought of the belief there isn't enough, replaces by the thought that you need something exterior of which you don't have and want. That's the main precondition for depression.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

Originally posted by Aleister
Ah, this drives me nuts, why people aren't told this - depression (not the really bad kind, "normal" depression) is a symptom of dehydration. A person hydrates themselves, the depression leaves. It's gone. It's a symptom.

A site that describes this is Watercure.com or Watercure2.com. I'll look for a link (just looked, lots of stuff on the net when "Depression" and "Dehydration" are joined. Watercure has a whole book on it, but you'd think I was a shrill if I linked it, so find it yourself.)

Drinking enough water means to drink water. Coffee, soda, etc., dehydrate the body even more, they remove water.

For those who are well hydrated, you can experiement, and don't drink water for about eight to ten hours. You will get depressed. And those ads on tv, "depression hurts". Well, listen to the symptoms that those ads list. All of them, repeat, all of them, are symptoms of dehydration (aching muscles, dry mouth, etc. - depression hurts indeed).

edit on 24-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

I think this is one of the most important things you can do for your body... and is likely to eliminate a lot of diseases and disorders, but 2 things you might want to keep in mind is that not every well hydrated person will escape depression so this could frustrate a lot of people, so just trying to be sympathetic there since something else could cause depression... although even then the water would likely help.

The second thing is a person can drink plenty of water, stay away from known diuretics and still become dehydrated... perhaps not even realize it and therefore think this advice was wrong. Dehydration can come from the weirdest sources.

... but I do agree it could probably eliminate most cases as well as most symptoms of most diseases... and I say this because I am not a big water drinker but read about what all you're talking about and started forcing myself to drink water and felt TOTALLY different.

Still yet... people on continuous IVs do not always recuperate from their issues. That part is kind of hard to deny because hospitals are full of sick people with IVs.

Still yet, GREAT advice.

I've read that the most common words in hospital emergency rooms are "Push fluids!", because almost everyone coming in is dehydrated. Of course not all depression is dehydration based, but probably a lot or even most cases are (and even if an individuals' own case isn't, hydrating will help lots and lots of other things, believe you in me). Again, remember those ads "Depression hurts"? All the symptoms that those ads list are symptoms of dehydration.

It's been said by the two or three wiser people than I that to be hydrated means drinking an ounce of water per half your weight a day (if you weigh 180 pounds American, then 90 ounces of water). Then if you drink coffee or soda as well, an extra glass of water per glass of coffee/soda, because those will dehydrate. I went through years of my life (high school, and before and after) pretty much only drinking soda. Had the worse dandruff and quite a bit of depression, or at least feeling sorry for myself (woe is me). None of those things since hydrating. Hydration may be one of those few things, like Vitamin C intake, that doctors, advertisments, and other sources of information either don't tell people about enough or purposely choose to ignore so the medical and pharma professions go merrily on their way. Imagine the loss to the pharma people in depression medicine alone if everyone was educated in this and actually did it (habits and lifestyles are often hard to subtract to or add something). Thanks for the interesting post.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I have to admit I'm skeptical on this approach to helping a depressed person feel better because I don't know that much about it. How does water help someone who hates life, themselves, and has no motivation? It seems to me the solution would be more emotional/mental but like I said I don't know that much about this water therapy.

edit on 25-1-2013 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Depression as in 1 day depression is natural.. but no not months and years worth of depression that is unnatural.

This is due to the social norms that are imposed on us. We control ourselves too much to not be true to ourselves, fake lives, controlling urges, forced labours, living in debt.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Obviously dehydration can bring you down and rehydrating with water is probably helpful, I am not so sure about the fluoride in the water though.
I think the major problems causing depression is society, the push to own this or that, the need to have the kind of job in order to buy this and that, the need to earn as much money so as to keep up with fashion and be able to pay bills and eat in fancy restaurants.
Ant then they start putting chemicals in our food that makes you sick.
There's no easy answer, but I think a simpler life free of the stress of working, earning and consuming will probably go a long way to stopping depression.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I've had depression and I've had bad days or troughs. There is something different about the clinical depression. It's far more controlling of your emotions and you need some help to get out of it, whether that be medication or CBT. Either way its not just something you get over, like bad days. It requires some type of intervention.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I was diagnosed with severe depression about 10 years ago, since then I've been on anti-depressants.

Recently I had a discussion with my husband as he is opposed to anti-depressant medication and feels that depression is a natural occurrence in the body and pain/hurting and feeling down are part of life.

We were watching a very sad movie at the time of the discussion and he was very emotionally moved and what caught my attention and started the conversation is the movie had no emotional effect on me whatsoever. I realized at that point that the medication I am on is not letting me live normally or feel emotion as I should. I almost feel like I've been brain washed to believe that I should not cry or hurt or feel any type of low in my life.

As of right now I'm still taking my medication but am realizing that something is not right, but afraid almost to the point of panic that if I go off the medication the emotions that I will feel will be so over whelming that I won't be able to handle it. I not only have problems with depression but I have extreme problems with social anxiety and deal daily with agoraphobia, but I add these problems with social anxiety and agoraphobia have only surfaced since starting the depression meds 10 years ago.

On to the dehydration theory. I find this very interesting and as much as I've read on depression, I've never come across this information. I have a question though regarding this. I am a heavy tea drinker, I drink around 2 quarts of unsweetened ice tea a day. So I've always felt I am hydrated, my question is this... Is the caffeine in the ice tea counter acting the effects of the water? In other words is the tea bad for my body?

I really want to stop the meds, I know they are dangerous and do more harm then good. So I'm hoping I've found a answer and dehydration has been the culprit all along.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I believe many great Artists throught the ages were depressed. (Not sure if this was due to alcohol or drugs...) but it seems that Depression can also act as a inspiration.

It stimulates the mind in such a way that it can cause creativity. Or at least so I think.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Anger swallowed.

makes depression.

people who accept it as natural are correct. People tho think its unnatural are also correct. its your mind, your life, and ultimately up to you how you want to live.

but i would find it a poor position personally to accept just because its everywhere and some folks life with it and manage it for life that anyone would "have" to do the same.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by magycpapyri

Jeez, I hope it works for you. I would think caffeine in anything dehydrates to a certain point. In your case I'd suggest reading the two websites (Watercure.com and Watercure2.com) but more than that to phone them and talk to someone at each of them. They can answer your question in real-time with a real voice (I don't often text message, everyone else in the world seems to).

A friend of mine, someone very active in movements, hydrates, and said that we have to have two relationships - one with water and one with the bathroom. That's one way to see if you are hydrated, all your urine should be clear and not yellow, unless you take the grams of vitamin C several threads here have educated ATS on.

Depression hurts, hydration is fun! (and I have a feeling your husband will enjoy it too)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

"It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day".

www.mayoclinic.com...

I'm not saying that caffeine is good for us but it has been shown that it does not dehydrate unless consumed in large amounts. The amounts to start causing dehydration is easily consumed by some people but not by everyone.

Also is it possible that the water cure is a placebo effect for depression? Lets say a kid was bullied and become depressed and thought about killing him or herself, would water make this all better?

I know water is good for us and I won't argue its health benefits but as far as treating depression... I don't see how it addresses the root of the problem for everyone.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

"It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day".

www.mayoclinic.com...

I'm not saying that caffeine is good for us but it has been shown that it does not dehydrate unless consumed in large amounts. The amounts to start causing dehydration is easily consumed by some people but not by everyone.

Also is it possible that the water cure is a placebo effect for depression? Lets say a kid was bullied and become depressed and thought about killing him or herself, would water make this all better?

I know water is good for us and I won't argue its health benefits but as far as treating depression... I don't see how it addresses the root of the problem for everyone.

No, of course not for everyone. But probably for most, and it won't hurt the rest but can only help them. Again, those "depression hurts" ads that try to shake people's money out of their pockets talk about how it hurts, and every one of the real pains they list as a symptom of depression is really a symptom of dehydration.. This of course doesn't take into account a person's decision patterns, their reality tunnel beliefs, and their identifications in life, for those yoga and other stuff works well but only if a person wants to change. As long as someone asks, the answers are there, that's just how the whole ball of wax works.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I've been reading about the hydration since I asked the question, thank you for the links and the encouragement!

also I've dumped the tea and water is in hand

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by magycpapyri

I've been reading about the hydration since I asked the question, thank you for the links and the encouragement!

also I've dumped the tea and water is in hand

You're very welcome, and you've made my day. I should go read all those sites again, it's been awhile since I've spent some good time in there, thanks. (I used to correspond with Dr. B, the fellow who came up with a lot of the data, and have all his older books but not the new one I saw on the site). I like your avatar, a good occulty seeking and sharing mix of images.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by magycpapyri
I am a heavy tea drinker, I drink around 2 quarts of unsweetened ice tea a day. So I've always felt I am hydrated, my question is this... Is the caffeine in the ice tea counter acting the effects of the water? In other words is the tea bad for my body?

Tea hydrates fine because it does not contain enough caffeine to dehydrate, unlike coffee. But it doesn't hydrate as well as plain water, so just drink more. If your urine is usually light in colour, or clear, you are hydrated, if it is dark in colour you need to drink more.

I also drink almost nothing but tea, hot tea though not iced.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

It is part of being disconnected and not feeling a part of something meaningful. It is caused by duality and causes fear and anger at the people you feel most disconnected with.

And religious groups like the church uses the duality for it owns goals even if it is the sin in the bible that humans where kicked out of paradise for (eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil creating small minded egos that causes disconnection from each other), from my point of view.

You have the same duality in political party against political party. Nation against nations. Humanity is in fact quite insane and becomes more stupid the more duality propaganda it is told is true not able to think in the big picture.

Depression can be a great pusher for seeking out hidden truths.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join