Bleeding gums, help with my dog?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My 9 year old border collie as you can see from my pic, is healthy in every way and the 'baby' of our family.
The other week, he started bleeding from his gums a little and I put it down to him eating bones and maybe he gotcut from a shard of it.
Last 2 days, he has again been bleeding on and off although it has been like clots of blood that fall out. I have checked his gums and can only see a small cut at the bottom of his back teeth and nothing else.
He lets me touch his gums and teeth and is in no pain at all in any way, but this has for me stumped.
I don't want to go to the vet just for a small cut, but am afraid it might be something more serious.
I would be totally in bits if it was anything else other than that, but would like some opinions here on what it might be, and possibly other dog owners have had the same thing.
In all the 9 plus years we have had him, he has never been ill, is fighting fit, eats all his food, and does all the usual things he has always done .
I woke up in the early hours this morning and he was lying beside my bed facing me which is unusual for him because he always lies the opposite direction. When I got up, I found a clot of blood on my clothes where he had been lying. Blood is about at most between a spoonful to half a spoonful or less.
Hope someone can help with advice because if it continues, I will take him to the vet which I am dreading as he won't let anyone open his mouth except me as he is overprotective towards me.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Nice I used to have a border collie / sheep dog.

His gums never bled like that though... I'd do the obvious thing and get him checked out by a vet if you can afford it.

There's really no telling if he has something lodged in there, some dogs can handle a lot of pain without giving so much as a wince.

Things like chocolate and other toxic materials will make a dog's gums bleed. Check around the yard to see if you have a spill somewhere.

But if you notice a cut, I'm betting it's got to do with that!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
If your dog's mouth is bleeding like that, he needs to see a vet. They may have to anesthetize him to see what's going on, but something is definitely not right.

He could have a gum disease or he may have gotten hold of some kind of poison.

Are the bones you feed him raw? Dogs should ONLY have raw bones.

If this has been going on for weeks and hasn't cleared up on its own, something is causing it. Please take him to a vet.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I gave him one of those soft/hard dog bones you buy in the store a week or so go ago when it started but it stopped the next day . Was just thinking that I gave him another last night and it started again. Maybe it's to do with that?
He has just finished licking his bowl after finishing his dog food so his appetite is ok.
Just checked there and there is no bleeding at all. Will keep an eye on him though but my vet is only 5 miles away from here anyway.
Have checked the garden where he goes and it is all stabbed and no broken bottles, twigs etc are there because I keep it clean anyway for him.
It's just turned midnight here and ever since he was very young, he seems to turn into 'puppy' mode about this time if you know what I mean

Will keep him off the bones or any hard things just in case it has something to do with it.

Just notice the 'Dog Forum' sig you have, might join it....
edit on 24-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I agree with the majority above.
It may be nothing as my dogs sometimes bleed from the gums when they have say a jagged piece of rawhide.
But for your piece of mind and your bestest buddies safety, go get an exam.
They are not horribad expensive but between having a new toy or a happy doggie, I side with doggies every time.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
I agree with the majority above.
It may be nothing as my dogs sometimes bleed from the gums when they have say a jagged piece of rawhide.
But for your piece of mind and your bestest buddies safety, go get an exam.
They are not horribad expensive but between having a new toy or a happy doggie, I side with doggies every time.

I just checked with my dogs insurance and its up to date, so will keep an eye on it and not give him any bones or dog chocolate sweets for a while and see how it goes. It tends to bleed on and off, not as if it is all the time, but if it continues, I will take him to get it checked. Better safe than sorry...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
... so will keep an eye on it and not give him any bones or dog chocolate sweets for a while and see how it goes.

Just a note... are the "dog chocolate sweets" real chocolate? Because chocolate is poisonous to dogs and can even kill them.

Poisoning; Ingested Substances

Gum bleeding can also be caused by poisoning due to ingested substances. Items that may be toxic to your dog are toxic plants, chocolate, alcohol, antifreeze, rat poison, and various other household chemicals.

Causes of bleeding gums in dogs

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
... so will keep an eye on it and not give him any bones or dog chocolate sweets for a while and see how it goes.

Just a note... are the "dog chocolate sweets" real chocolate? Because chocolate is poisonous to dogs and can even kill them.

Poisoning; Ingested Substances

Gum bleeding can also be caused by poisoning due to ingested substances. Items that may be toxic to your dog are toxic plants, chocolate, alcohol, antifreeze, rat poison, and various other household chemicals.

Causes of bleeding gums in dogs

Chic drops,are the ones especially made,for dogs. Today I never gave him any bones or choc drops and blood has stopped.,had another look and can't see anything at all even using a torch ....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
That IS chocolate!

Choc Drops Ingredients

Dear John,

Thank you for your concern regarding the Choc Drops.

We have forwarded this information up to our marketing manager for their Consideration. There are no ingredients in the Good Boy Choc Drops that are toxic to dogs. The ingredients are: Sugar, Soy Flour, Cocoa Powder, DiCalcium PHosphate, Glucose Syrup, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, and Panthothentic Acid.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact our Internet Customer Service Department at 1-800-381-7179, or via email, at your convenience.

Sincerely,
Nick
Internet Customer Service

Please read that link and throw that crap away! Also, read about Foods that are toxic to dogs.

Give your dog carrots, apples, broccoli (mine LOVE it) bananas or some other safe treat. They don't need chocolate, which is mostly sugar anyway.
edit on 1/25/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
That IS chocolate!

Choc Drops Ingredients

Dear John,

Thank you for your concern regarding the Choc Drops.

We have forwarded this information up to our marketing manager for their Consideration. There are no ingredients in the Good Boy Choc Drops that are toxic to dogs. The ingredients are: Sugar, Soy Flour, Cocoa Powder, DiCalcium PHosphate, Glucose Syrup, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, and Panthothentic Acid.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact our Internet Customer Service Department at 1-800-381-7179, or via email, at your convenience.

Sincerely,
Nick
Internet Customer Service

Please read that link and throw that crap away! Also, read about Foods that are toxic to dogs.

Give your dog carrots, apples, broccoli (mine LOVE it) bananas or some other safe treat. They don't need chocolate, which is mostly sugar anyway.
edit on 1/25/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Well today I never gave him any dog choc drops or dog bones and his mouth is clear of blood! Will keep checking and,see,how it,goes in future.....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hey,

Recently, our dog started to bleed from the mouth and leave drops of blood around the floor/bed. After checking out his gums, the gum above his canine tooth was red and inflamed so we straight away booked him in with the vet. He ended up needing to have his teeth and gums cleaned out, the tartar was barley visable to us but it had built up quite a bit under his gumline and it turns out that this can cause abscesses. His teeth were lovely and white after this and as far as we could tell his problems were over.

However, one morning I noticed that his face was swollen on the side of the bleeding gum, and immediately booked him in again with the vet because this time it couldn't possibly be due to build up of tartar because it had only been a short while since he had his teeth cleaned. So in the time before taking him to the vet, I was looking up online what the cause of this could possibly be, and later on confirmed by the vet, that yes it was actually quite a bad abscess at the back of his mouth inside one of his teeth - now this tooth has a particular name that I can't remember but it isn't an uncommon occurence. The vet at the time decided just to give him an antibiotic injection, a dose enough to last about three weeks, and he said the swelling should go down within about 3 days, which thankfully it did. He did say if the swelling comes back up again after the three weeks the tooth will need to be taken out.

Thankfully that hasn't happened, and I hope it never does. So basically what I am trying to say here is even though you can't visably see anything wrong in his mouth, you would be better off getting him checked out by a vet. You will be happy that you did because there are some things that we unfortunately can't fix ourselves at home.

Sorry about the wall of words but I just wanted to give the whole story in case it rings any bells with you.

All my love to your dog
I wish you both the very best!

PS. My dog is nearly eleven years old and he is still very much a puppy aswell!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xSunstone
Hey,

Recently, our dog started to bleed from the mouth and leave drops of blood around the floor/bed. After checking out his gums, the gum above his canine tooth was red and inflamed so we straight away booked him in with the vet. He ended up needing to have his teeth and gums cleaned out, the tartar was barley visable to us but it had built up quite a bit under his gumline and it turns out that this can cause abscesses. His teeth were lovely and white after this and as far as we could tell his problems were over.

However, one morning I noticed that his face was swollen on the side of the bleeding gum, and immediately booked him in again with the vet because this time it couldn't possibly be due to build up of tartar because it had only been a short while since he had his teeth cleaned. So in the time before taking him to the vet, I was looking up online what the cause of this could possibly be, and later on confirmed by the vet, that yes it was actually quite a bad abscess at the back of his mouth inside one of his teeth - now this tooth has a particular name that I can't remember but it isn't an uncommon occurence. The vet at the time decided just to give him an antibiotic injection, a dose enough to last about three weeks, and he said the swelling should go down within about 3 days, which thankfully it did. He did say if the swelling comes back up again after the three weeks the tooth will need to be taken out.

Thankfully that hasn't happened, and I hope it never does. So basically what I am trying to say here is even though you can't visably see anything wrong in his mouth, you would be better off getting him checked out by a vet. You will be happy that you did because there are some things that we unfortunately can't fix ourselves at home.

Sorry about the wall of words but I just wanted to give the whole story in case it rings any bells with you.

All my love to your dog
I wish you both the very best!

PS. My dog is nearly eleven years old and he is still very much a puppy aswell!

Many thanks for your info and I have read it all and agree with you. I have constantly checked his gums and it has stopped bleeding completely and looks very healthy again. He lets me probe and inspect considering his scary teeth etc but I have not given him anything hard to eat and as I said before there are no dog sweets or hard bones anymore and he seems to be back to normal.
I'm keeping a close eye on him and if it starts again i will phone vet for an appt to get it checked out as i would be devastated if something happened to him..
Can't thank members here enough for all the help and encouragement I have had here regarding mt beloved pet.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Dog has stopped bleeding completely now since I stopped bones and choc drops....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm glad to hear your dog is okay
Chances are he probably did cut himself chewing a bone, could have slipped and bashed his gum with a sharp edge. I know when my dog chews anything he constantly switches it around in his mouth and ends up getting blood all over it - he used to like chewing up plastic bottles and they are pretty lethal when he's finished with them! I think as they get older they get a little more delicate and prone to that sort of thing aswell.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I'm glad to hear your dog is okay
Chances are he probably did cut himself chewing a bone, could have slipped and bashed his gum with a sharp edge. I know when my dog chews anything he constantly switches it around in his mouth and ends up getting blood all over it - he used to like chewing up plastic bottles and they are pretty lethal when he's finished with them! I think as they get older they get a little more delicate and prone to that sort of thing aswell.

Well it has still stopped although I check his gums on a regular basis, I was worried sick in case it got worse. He would look at the blood and seem guilty as if he had done something wrong, bless him...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean cause mine does the same thing?! Like, tail between the legs guilty. Poor little souls, haha, I just make a fuss of him whenever something like that happens

Does your dog mind the rain? Mine hates it! He's a big staffordshire bull terrior who seems to scare the hell out of people for some reason but he is a complete jelly baby who wouldn't hurt anyone... He's scared of mice! You know like them old cartoons with the elephant in the same room as a mouse, well, he's the elephant
Come to think of it he's also scared of flies...

He is such a cutie
Love him more than anyone else.

But yeah keep checking his gums, especially at the back, they seem to be the ones that take all the beating and they have to be the ones you can hardly see eh? It's difficult as they hate having their mouths propped open aswell. I hate to see any dog (any animal) in pain, so I send him my love!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Glad the puppy dog is ok.

Just for future reference, bleeding mouth or gums can also be a sign of a vitamin deficiency in a dog, especially vitamin C.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I know exactly what you mean cause mine does the same thing?! Like, tail between the legs guilty. Poor little souls, haha, I just make a fuss of him whenever something like that happens

Does your dog mind the rain? Mine hates it! He's a big staffordshire bull terrior who seems to scare the hell out of people for some reason but he is a complete jelly baby who wouldn't hurt anyone... He's scared of mice! You know like them old cartoons with the elephant in the same room as a mouse, well, he's the elephant
Come to think of it he's also scared of flies...

He is such a cutie
Love him more than anyone else.

But yeah keep checking his gums, especially at the back, they seem to be the ones that take all the beating and they have to be the ones you can hardly see eh? It's difficult as they hate having their mouths propped open aswell. I hate to see any dog (any animal) in pain, so I send him my love!

Mine hates the bath. When he was just a pup we bathed him but his skin came out in sores etc so we stopped. He loves them sea though and when I take him and kick a ball into the water, he is hell bent on getting it and bringing it back to me and his skin is ok with the salt water .
If he does something in the house like doing something wrong, we will say to him that he is going for a bath and his ears and tail go down and he looks worried so he stops doing whatever he had done in the first place .
There has still,been no blood or anything and I stopped his choc drops and bones that I used to give him so possibly he had a loose tooth but I did notice like a small cut in his lower gums when he was bleeding so maybe he had cut it on a bone or one of his toys he likes to play with.
Meant to say that he doesn't mind the rain one little bit as well.
He is just over 9 years old as I mentioned before, but is still a pup at heart. His eating habits are still the same as his temperament as well.
He lets me examine his mouth no problem at all but don't think for a moment he would let anyone else try.
edit on 29-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Glad the puppy dog is ok.

Just for future reference, bleeding mouth or gums can also be a sign of a vitamin deficiency in a dog, especially vitamin C.

Puppy is just over 9 years old 😄👍
I give him a variety of food so don't think it's vitamin deficiency and he is well built and solid muscle.

top topics

join