It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about wifi, kinda freaking me out.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by GmoS719

This would be a fair connection.

If you have terminal emulator, then ping google.

See if there is any packet loss.

3 pings and no packet loss.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Let's go with the more simplistic explanation that your neighbor who lives 300 feet away recently got internet and they haven't locked it.

Unless you have an bi-directional wi-fi antenna that is being pointed in line of sight of the other location I don't see this being possible that you are still receiving a signal from the location 4 miles away.

This is what I originally thought so I drove by their house and the signal got weaker r and weaker as I moved in the opposite direction of the router as it is mapped.

edit on 24-1-2013 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

lol

this is a reasonable explanation!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

My curiosity would lead me to see how many clients are connected.

I won't say any more as to do so may be against T&C.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

My curiosity would lead me to see how many clients are connected.

I won't say any more as to do so may be against T&C.

I'll look into it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
to pinpoint the signal, your best bet is to buy/make a directional wifi antenna.
I have made a few of them from noting more than a usb wifi adapter a wooden boom and some solid copper wire.

www.ab9il.net...

If you build this, you can move it around until you reach the highest signal strength to find the source of the signal.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If it helps, I can share my personal experience on this. In trucking I had an Alfa antenna set up with the long range antenna and enough USB cable to put that at 13ft above ground level (Semi-Truck). That arrangement allowed me to connect to truck stop Wi-Fi's up to a full mile away and these were locations with multiple antennas mounted on roofs and designed to cover large outdoor areas like the parking lots and surrounding area.

It's weird though....because I ran a few scanner type programs to explore the capabilities of my setup while rolling a few times too. I'd set the same external antenna up on the dash with the extended antenna and leave it running for a few hours with a log running to check later while I went across various areas from city to the open fields of Central Illinois and Iowa. Cities would show hundreds of Wi-Fi points at least within detection range all the time.....but then, I ALSO got up to a dozen hits on a regular basis in areas I couldn't even see lights of farmhouses outside a mile or more away. I never tried connecting ...as I was rolling while this was scanning and recording. However, it still showed them clear as day....and it didn't make much sense.

I actually started wondering how many things OUTSIDE people's homes may be generating Wi-Fi. I can't prove it but I swear some of that was coming off cars passing around me. I'm in a truck and I can see down into vehicles....people weren't lit up with computers and this was a 2-3+ years ago. Prior to personal/portable 'hotspot' devices being common or generally very affordable.

Dunno if that helps..but it's what I directly observed in playing with all this across all kinds of geography and parts of the nation.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
to pinpoint the signal, your best bet is to buy/make a directional wifi antenna.
I have made a few of them from noting more than a usb wifi adapter a wooden boom and some solid copper wire.

www.ab9il.net...

If you build this, you can move it around until you reach the highest signal strength to find the source of the signal.

That's basically what the app I downloaded does.
It's meant to point you in the direction of the signal.
From what I can see it is accurate with my router so it should do the same with the router in question.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm in the same situation. Almost.
I traced the signal to a dirt road with broken down abandoned shacks.
I'm afraid to go into one.
Nothing I see would bounce the signal.
I'll probably go take a closer look.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Now this is getting to be awesome.

If you find a wifi signal emanating from an "abandoned" shack, make sure to take pics.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

Now this is getting to be awesome.

If you find a wifi signal emanating from an "abandoned" shack, make sure to take pics.

Not sure if it's coming from the shacks but there is nothing else out there.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Hmm.. Maybe there is someFING you can do about it......

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Or how about this...
A stupid app that does not really work

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

So what was the outcome?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join