It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention NY Gun Owners FYI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I didn't see anything mentioned on this thus far so I feel the need to put this info out there to whom it may apply to. We all know the current new legislation in NYS regarding gun laws and ammunition restrictions that go into effect next year in Jan. From the NYS site here is a snippet for your consumption,

Q: Is there any background check required for purchasers of ammunition? A: No. The background check requirement does not take effect until January 15, 2014.

www.governor.ny.gov...

Ok so there it is in black and white, or blue black and white whatever. As of right now any store that sells ammunition IS NOT required to collect info for background checks until the system is put in place or next January. So why is it that the gun stores here in my area at least, under direction of the NYS police are requiring the following: Drivers License, Name, Address, Telephone number, Age, Occupation, among other info to purchase ammo? If the law doesn't go into effect until next year and they don't have a system in place as of yet how can they demand this info? By which they were just logging into some kind of registry book by hand. Not sure if we are allowed to list the actual store that I went to that did this but I will refrain from posting that until a mod gives the go ahead, if anyone wants to know I can let them know via pm. So anyone else running into this problem as well? To me I feel it is an invasion of privacy and cannot be assured it won't fall into the wrong hands because it's not recorded in a monitored system like an example would be how they record other records at the state level, give me some feedback let me know if I am wrong on how I feel. To sum it up the way they are doing it seems against the law to me. Thanks all for your input and time.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It seems that this is only going to cause the same ordeal we are facing with drugs. A under ground market will open up. More Ammunition will be sold by individuals.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

You can see my concern though with a ledger book laying on the counter within reach of anybody that walks by right? Not saying I agree with what the state wants to implement but I would imagine it would be electronic and not easily accessible by just anyone, kinda like how they do the computers in doctors offices now days, password protected, and hippa regulated etc. Not just jotted down on a scrap piece of paper lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
It seems that this is only going to cause the same ordeal we are facing with drugs. A under ground market will open up. More Ammunition will be sold by individuals.

People who have the know how and equipment to reload might become the go to guys, and don't forget the criminals will also partake in this new avenue as well. Spot on.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I guess this isn't a concern to anyone else?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I guess i'll start to learn to make ammo...
while its still legal, of course

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Thinking the same thing here, it might be something to get into in the near future. But I imagine they will or are clamping down on supplies already.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So just checking in to see if anyone in NYS has ran into this anywhere else?

top topics

join