It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this really a 300 million-year-old machine gear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
io9.com...

I love these out of place fossil stories.
They show how much we don't know about our world.

And it's certainly not the first story of people finding out of place fossils in coal.

A man in Russia has discovered a piece of coal in the Chernogorodskiy mines that contains what appears to be the remains of a machine that is 300 million years old. Could it be an ancient space ship or evidence of an intelligent species that once shared the planet with Dimetrodon? According to The Voice of Russia, the coal was formed 300 million years ago, which is why scientists believe the item inside dates back to that era too:

english.ruvr.ru...

When geologists broke the piece of coal in which the metal object was pressed into and spot-treated in with special chemical agents, it turned out that the metal detail was unusually light and soft. No more than seven centimeters long, the object was found to be composed of 98 percent aluminum and 2 percent magnesium. On the one hand, such an alloy stalled the scientists because nearly pure aluminum is very rarely found in nature. Thus, the detail was most definitely created artificially. On the other hand, however, when it became clear that the object was made from aluminum-magnesium alloy the experts quickly found an answer to the question of how a metal detail could withstand the ravages of time so well. The scientists explained that pure aluminum is increasingly prone to oxidization which contributes to the creation of a special layer protecting it from further corrosion. As a result, the metal detail made 98 percent from aluminum can endure not only high pressure but also heat and other severe natural conditions.

This is a very neat find. While it's possible that this is something that occurred naturally. The probability is low.
Awesome!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
While it's possible that this is something that occurred naturally. The probability is low.
Awesome!

How have you come to this conclusion?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hi op good good find

There was another thread (cant remember titile)
But it mentioned a clay pot being found by a miner

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Funny
That image is from the wikipedia page showing an Iodine Crystal.

Iodine Crystal

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

It was in the OP.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey
reply to post by grey580

Funny

Iodine Crystal

Well found
Im disappointed now
cheer

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
In the HOAX section...

300 Million Year Old Machinery Found In Russia - aliens or ancient civilizations
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

reply to post by grey580

Funny

Iodine Crystal

Yeah they included that photo but it is most certainly not what is claimed in the story. Either the story is a Hoax/Tall Tale or they did not produce the image of the actual object for other reasons.

I remember reading so many stories like this about Russians finding ancient (millions of years ancient) artifacts. But I have yet to see convincing proof.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
LOL! Nice find

edit on 24/1/13 by Ashishin_no1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havox

It was in the OP.

It's clearly nonsense. Nature throws up far crazier geometric shapes than this.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by grey580

Funny

Iodine Crystal

I carefully looked at both photos...and they are the same image. What exactly is Russia trying to do? I have to wonder.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This was the original site in Russian.

This is a picture I can Believe!

joy4mind.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is in english.

translate.google.com...

click on the right hand side for the article "The rack in the coal age 300 million years"

lightmax7
edit on 24-1-2013 by lightmax7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Haven't there been several items found in coal that don't make sense?
I seem to remember a gold chain, and a bell I think.

Thanks to the poster that found the original picture.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
What exactly is Russia trying to do?

Increase online advertising revenues.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Are you sure they didn't find an iphone in some peat bog somewhere?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Hey a 300 million year old gear that was just found!......(whispers) In March 2010 on Wiki.......

300 million year old pure aluminum fossil.......hahahaha........How's your "science" looking for proving things? Yep still human scientists, so you get human results.....or Hoaxes......However you want to put it....

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by Havox

It was in the OP.

It's clearly nonsense. Nature throws up far crazier geometric shapes than this.

What nature doesn't do is put aluminum on Earth in a 98% pure state. If you can find just a single example of an aluminum ore in a 98% pure state, I would be very interested in seeing this.

Then to say that the one rare occurance (of pure aluminum in nature) is compounded by it happening to make a gear shape....you are nearing probability=zero very quickly.

That isn't to say the whole story isn't just made up. Just that the reasons you are giving are equally as bogus.
edit on 24-1-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What explanation? The one where I said that a the probability of a natural explanation being "low" was nonsense? Because it was, the article was a fake with no supporting evidence what so ever. Anyone who's owned a mineral collection could tell you that. Let's see what's more likely:

A) Interesting geometric shape formed by nature (supporting evidence: overwhelming)
B) Ancient alien race came and left a crystal that looks like a gear 300 million years ago (supporting evidence: none at all)

If you like, I'll post up pictures of interesting real geometric crystal and mineral formations and you can post up pictures of real ancient alien races and we can tally up the total to see which one is the least bogus explanation. And to make it fairer we can pretend the picture WASN'T ripped from a Wikipedia article on a crystal formation.
edit on 25-1-2013 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

You focus on the wrong part here.

To me, if this story has any basis in fact, there are parallels elsewhere. It would not mean that there were folks here 300mil years ago, but that our understanding of how coal is made is flawed pretty seriously (there are known examples of chains and coffee urns being found in coal pieces, too)

But what I was saying is that you seemed to have missed that the object is, reportedly, 98% pure aluminum. Your assertion that this could happen in nature is what I am questioning. Find all the crystal pictures you want, if they aren't naturally formed from pure aluminum, then you are comparing your apples to the stories oranges.

new topics

top topics

join