It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show bans AR's, event promptly cancelled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hoo [snip] ray!

For those who werent around in '94 to experience the great Fudd divide what Reed Exhibitions (UK owned) pulled with their AR and "tactical" ban on displays exemplifies the divide.

In '94 they would have won. And did win. It was one of the big reasons that damn AWB got passed.

Not this time. Huge and small retailers pulled out left and right. So many in fact that Reed canceled the event.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

“It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.
Eastern Sports Show

No Fudd cop-outs this time. A gun is a gun is a gun whether it's your AR or my break action 12.
edit on 24-1-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
guess they figure if they bend over and spread their cheeks early, they will get better treatment after heil obama trys to pass this crap. fools is what they are.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hunting and FISHING???

Fishing?????? How does a lack of automatic rifles affect my interest in fishing?

It's becoming more and more clear how ignorant and closed-minded the gun lovers are.

link   
Funny thing is the way they dance around the reason for the cancellation by blaming it on the "emotionally charged" situation. They don't want to come out and say that retailers have had enough just like the rest of us, and they are starting to show it by not supporting events that go against their views.

link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
guess they figure if they bend over and spread their cheeks early, they will get better treatment after heil obama trys to pass this crap. fools is what they are.

The Fudds figure it isnt their cheeks they're spreading. They're spreading your cheeks to save their own asses.

link   
So, they aren't really admitting it was because they lost vendors, are they?
Due to a small number? Of over a thousand?
Then why cancel?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Funny thing is the way they dance around the reason for the cancellation by blaming it on the "emotionally charged" situation. They don't want to come out and say that retailers have had enough just like the rest of us, and they are starting to show it by not supporting events that go against their views.

The death blow was when Cabelas didnt go the route of Dick's.

Cabela's told them to FOAD and it was over the show.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Hunting and FISHING???

Fishing?????? How does a lack of automatic rifles affect my interest in fishing?

It's becoming more and more clear how ignorant and closed-minded the gun lovers are.

Speaking of ignorance, this has nothing to do with automatic rifles. Do you know what automatic means? Maybe do a little research?

This is was a HUNTING and fishing event. People do use the AR platform to hunt because of it's versatility and various cartridge usage.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

So? One gun isn't there and now you can't even hunt, fish or even discuss hunting or fishing?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by SpaDe_

The death blow was when Cabelas didnt go the route of Dick's.

Cabela's told them to FOAD and it was over the show.

If Cabela's is not willing to bow, then that will give reason and support for other retailers to follow suit. Cabela's is having a hard time just keeping items on the shelves for shooters at this point, so why would they want to bite the hand that is feeding them?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

So? One gun isn't there and now you can't even hunt, fish or even discuss hunting or fishing?

There are plenty of other events throughout the year that do not push their political views and agendas onto their supporters. The people that were putting this event together should have thought a little more about that considering hunting and sport shooting is a big portion of revenue for these retailers.
edit on 1/24/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well another Irresponsible Drunk Driver in a Mercedes Benz killed another innocent in Chicago (Metaphorically Speaking)

Welp better cancel the car show for 2013 we don't want families to be upset when they see what's really killing people.
Better yet.... Let's take the car's outta the car show.... Let the sheeple just walk around mindlessly.

Removing high powered guns from a gun show..... Why not take the sugar outta the kool-aid?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Hunting and FISHING???

Either you have a problem understanding what you read, or you are purposely trying to derail the thread!

Try reading the OP again!

The people running the expo, made a new rule.

Vendors didn't like the new rule, so they pulled out of the event, thus those running the show lost a ton of money and just shut it down!

Talk about being ignorant.......

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I understood it perfectly. I think the vendors are stupid for alienating their entire customer base because of a few gun lovers, and the people hosting the expo are morons for cancelling.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
Well another Irresponsible Drunk Driver in a Mercedes Benz killed another innocent in Chicago (Metaphorically Speaking)

Welp better cancel the car show for 2013 we don't want families to be upset when they see what's really killing people.
Better yet.... Let's take the car's outta the car show.... Let the sheeple just walk around mindlessly.

Removing high powered guns from a gun show..... Why not take the sugar outta the kool-aid?

You'd still attend an auto show that didn't have tanks, right?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

reply to post by seeker1963

I understood it perfectly. I think the vendors are stupid for alienating their entire customer base because of a few gun lovers, and the people hosting the expo are morons for cancelling.

But they are not alienating their entire customer base. And it is more than a few people who shoot for sport. I've been to a few fishing expos and have fished often myself. I find it to be boring, not relaxing at all. Unless I'm in a boat, then for some reason I find it fun.

I applaud them for standing up for what they believe in.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Considering the FACT, that most guns stores can't keep their shelves stocked at the moment, due to gun grabbers like you, I hardly think they are alienating anyone!

Second, the people hosting the event, were smart enough to realize they would lose a ton of money if the event continued as planned. Not sure if you realize the cost of staff and utilities used to put one of these things on, but it is quite costly...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i prefer to fish with dynamite were they going to still allow that? is so them I am all good I would have gone.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Ummm... a standard AR that's chambered in 5.56 or .223 is far from what can be considered a high powered rifle. It's a bloody peashooter for chrissakes. I'm getting real sick of the ignorance on this site (not necessarily you, but the straws are collectively killing the camel's back in this case)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join