It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is being “Homeless” such a bad thing? Maybe it's not!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer112358

There are complex issues here... and very simple ones, as usual.

In a material-for-sustaining-life/economic-sense, the dominant society we have been born into depends on MANY folks miserably spending all their lifetime laboring for basic life support so that FEWer people can enjoy their lifetime surrounded by comforts, aesthetics, security and entertainment. This political/economic system depends on over-production (think pyramid scheme) and over-consumption thus, over-use of finite resources, or in other words, wrecking our planet.

The FEW (F*&*ing Entitled Wankers) is a broad term encompassing the "1%," "filthy rich," "PTB," etc., but curiously, even lower-middle-class people who are relatively "poor" can perceive themselves as "elite" (some of the attitudes revealed in this thread attest to this). The MANY (Miserable Anonymous Nothing Yah-hoos) are everyone else.

This situation of inequality seems reasonable to the FEW because, well, it exists and it's very comfy. So either God just prefers them or natural selection does. Conversely, the MANY must believe this, too, in some fashion, since they haven't used their superior numbers to change things... yet.

Removing your self from the "system" is difficult because you're, presumably, human and still in the large terrarium we call Earth... for awhile anyway.

Choosing homelessness to remove yourself from the system, while understandable, won't change the system many of us have grown to reject. It's like going on vacation using your friends' credit cards while they're getting mugged and raped, or ditching the sinking ship with the only lifeboat.

However, if you're opting out of the mortgage, job, slavery, FEW vs. MANY model to set an example for those still in bondage, then good for you! But engagement of some sort seems crucial.

Could be I'm over thinking this, though, and if enough people left the economic slavery trap then it'd starve...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

That sounds pretty cool. You should try to get your hands on a video camera I would like to see your homebuilt mini camper. I like the sound of a simple life.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

The people who say that money can't buy you happiness aren't spending it right IMO.

When I was young I never bought the ambition, busy, success thing. I didn't identify with it from the very beginning. Something inside me "marched to a different drummer", if that makes any sense.

Oh i heard the message loud and clear, like everyone else. Just some peoples priorities aren't there. If you have never been without money, its harder to explain.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Being homeless somewhere like Hawaii is one thing, being homeless in a big city begging for booze, especially up north does not seem appealing at all. Ive gone backpacking on several of the Hawaiian islands for a few weeks at a time numerous times. There you can just hitchhike around, put a tent up on the beach after dark, buy cheap healthy organic food from farmers markets, even stay in a hostel occasionally if you want to shower, sit around on the beach, go hiking in the jungle or on volcanoes which is what i did. My parents hought i was insane for doing that but i thought it was great to be free, people save up for years to fly there and stay in expensive hotels and rent cars and all you really need is a backpack, tent, basic camping gear to go out and explore, see places the majority of people will never see in their lives.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

For the most part society has been indoctrinated from birth with certain mores. One story they taught all youngsters from my era was that when you came to a bridge you had to be careful of the "troll" that lived under there...

The Troll Under the Bridge

The evil troll, the dirty troll... the "homeless" troll.

Ask yourself why society shuns the homeless. It is because they are "less than" in our minds. I disagree... they are the only ones free from the "rat race" as it were. And that in my opinion is why they are so despised. Not because they are dirty or "homeless" (a misnomer, planet Earth is our home), but because to the "civilized" world they represent either the notion of utter failure (which is scary) or the notion of true freedom (even scarier) from our programmed perspective.

Just my experienced opinion.

My first interpretation of this thread was that we were talking about Gypsy free spirits, people that tend to "live" exclusively in the "now" to the exclusion of obligation to society. Then after reading some of the more thoughtful comments I see it is aimed a little deeper at the psychology of the "Steppenwolf". For those who don't have time to read through all the posts the OP branched discussion over to this thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Then obviously, you're a very shallow person who doesn't want much out of life.
edit on 29-1-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This has got to be the greatest post in the history of the internet. I live "homeless" now and its truly a wonderful feeling to wake up in the morning to freedom all day long without having to work a job. Its a very liberating feeling.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Wanderer112358

Oh I don't know a couple things come to mind being able to s*** when you want to have a safe place to sleep that's warm with walls that protect you from the elements s*** man you talk about being homeless but I don't think you ever have because if you are homeless you still need something of your f****** head of its raining... At the same time yes I do feel like there's something to what you were talking about but that's just a social stigma it's nothing to do with an actual home or not in my opinion
edit on 7-2-2018 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

Right keep pretending that there is no Global f****** corrupt agenda that subjugates the entire human species with greed malice in ignorance take the people that work there live take the people that work their lives for the system that broke their backs for the system that now have to pay to recover the damages to their body that was done for the system let's look at the fact that the medical industry is an industry and it is not on the side of the people it's about making money just like every other Corporation let's look at the fact that government does everything it can to do surface things but not actually help people let's look at the fact that everything is about profit and loss and the fact of the matter is that the prophet is always on the side of them and not us the people

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Wanderer112358

Being homeless sucks. Its one of the most humbling experiences a person can live through.

I dont think its the same when you have resources and can just fix your situation at any moment.

Thats just being care free. If you have people that depend on you and you choose to be "care free", its irresponsible.

edit on 2 7 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wanderer112358
Why does society look on being homeless as a bad thing?

Society generally defines "good" as anything that leads to peaceful procreation within family groups that establish clear lines of inheritance. "Bad" is anything that either interferes with that or doesn't contribute to it.

A homeless, rogue male wandering around is a wild card and could possibly be disruptive to mating.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join