Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Majority Sees Obama’s Gun Control Plan Favorably

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The fact of the matter is, that this nation IS governed by the people, for the people right now. All we have to do is exclude the current federal government from participation.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Those that are for the gun control need to think again.

This responce from the director of the FBI ALONE is reason
to need weapons that they are trying to ban....

"Dont know" How can anyone not instantly respond "NO"
Any hesitation is why we need the 2nd amendment untouched and
un controled!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Originally posted by jsipprell

Originally posted by eXia7
That sample size is completely irrelevant when you consider the US entire population, and how many actually own and use guns on a regular basis.

These polls are usually to cause a knee-jerk reaction, you can't get information from 1,033 people from a nation of 311+ million people.

Of course you can. There's an entire science devoted to performing just such feats, called Statistics. Not only can you "get information" from a sample size significantly smaller than the whole, you can also figure out how likely you are to be wrong and by how much due to the random nature of sampling. You can tell how confident you can be in your analysis and how much adding another 1000, 5000, or 10000 people polled would help (hint: in many cases, it won't).

if the sample size was from 10,000 - 40,000 respondents, then I might take that poll a little more serious.

A 1000 person sample size at 95% confidence produces a margin of error of 3.09%.
A 10000 person sample at 95% confidence is 0.98%.

That means that if you re-polled 1000 different random people, there would be about a 3.1% difference in your final numbers vs a 1% difference if the whole thing had used 10000 people.

Simply not that big of a deal.

(A sample size of 40000 would produce a margin of error of about 0.5%)
edit on 25-1-2013 by jsipprell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
My own opinion is that the people in favor of this have no idea what they are getting us into if these laws go through. i think it will start there and then escalate sharply as time goes by. Just my OPINION, not fact.

Polling answers always depend on the formatting of the questions,

Just for example,

"do you favor gun control to save the children?"

or

"do you favor gun control that takes away rights of fellow lawful citizens?"

Its really the same question couched differently and each in its turn would evoke different percentages of opinion. Of course polling pro's use much more sophisticated methods than my examples and further evoke answers by using multiple leading questions.

If I had the time and a willing sample of people I could get you to prepay me for the answer you desired and deliver everytime without fail for most any subject you needed so-called public opinion support with.

For this reason I don't follow these polls and rely on face to face conversation for sentiment.

That sentiment is right now overwhelmingly angry at the run on second amendment.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TorqueyThePig
reply to post by macman

Don't you just love how people (IknowStuff) say we don't have the same weaponry as the government so it would be a slaughter.

So let me get this straight just because we may not have the same weaponry as an enemy we're supposed to die on our knees? F#@k that. We're Americans and we don't die on our knees. We're not cowards.

I don't understand people sometimes.

If Obama brownshirts kill law abiding gun owners in a 10:1 ratio, the brown shirts run out of personnel in a matter of weeks, then the families, friends and supporters of the dead brown shirts are next. Read up on the revolutionary war and you'll find out there was a lot more merciless purging than you'd ever want to believe.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

That is why our Founding Fathers formed a REPUBLIC and not a pure Democracy. A Republic guarantees rights to all citizens that can not be voted away by a majority (and the masses are easily swayed it appears).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
My own opinion is that the people in favor of this have no idea what they are getting us into if these laws go through. i think it will start there and then escalate sharply as time goes by. Just my OPINION, not fact.

Polling answers always depend on the formatting of the questions,

Just for example,

"do you favor gun control to save the children?"

or

"do you favor gun control that takes away rights of fellow lawful citizens?"

Its really the same question couched differently and each in its turn would evoke different percentages of opinion. Of course polling pro's use much more sophisticated methods than my examples and further evoke answers by using multiple leading questions.

If I had the time and a willing sample of people I could get you to prepay me for the answer you desired and deliver everytime without fail for most any subject you needed so-called public opinion support with.

For this reason I don't follow these polls and rely on face to face conversation for sentiment.

That sentiment is right now overwhelmingly angry at the run on second amendment.

The link in the OP's posting has a direct quote of the question asked of the randomly selected sample. You can judge for yourself if it introduces bias.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join