Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Majority Sees Obama’s Gun Control Plan Favorably

page: 4
7
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink
 


If I remember correctly, we are actually suppose to be a Democratic Republic. The people can be just as dangerous to their freedom and rights as the government.

The majority is represented by a government body. It keeps the people and Feds in check, or it's suppose too.
edit on 25-1-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)




posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight



Fifty-three percent in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll view Obama’s gun control plan favorably, 41 percent unfavorably. Strong proponents outnumber strong opponents by 38 vs. 31 percent in this poll, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates.





Support for the package is lower than it was for some of the same steps tested individually in an ABC/Post poll earlier this month. Majorities from 88 to 65 percent favored background checks at gun shows and on ammunition purchases, creating a federal database to track gun sales and banning high-capacity magazines. That included, in each case, majorities of Democrats, Republicans and independents alike.


Seems like the majority is in favor of the president's view on new gun laws....if you can trust polls. the link for the polls is here.

Hoping to get the opinions from you guys. My own opinion is that the people in favor of this have no idea what they are getting us into if these laws go through. i think it will start there and then escalate sharply as time goes by. Just my OPINION, not fact.

Here is the link to the full article.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight
 


After the last couple elections and the
flat out fraud in the polls
and how they vote/favor this or that, I have not 1% of trust
for any MSM or news poll of any kind. Truth be know the real numbers are
way off.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kingsquirel
 


Just want to help you out a little with some quotes from the people that actually wrote the constitution, not from the shills and traitors trying to ruin it.


"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." — Thomas Jefferson (attributed to Jefferson, by his contemporaries)




“"The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation – enlightened as it is – if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men." -Samuel Adams”




"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."




"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States."


And perhaps the most important from Thomas Jefferson:


.. And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by kingsquirel
 


Just want to help you out a little with some quotes from the people that actually wrote the constitution, not from the shills and traitors trying to ruin it.


"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." — Thomas Jefferson (attributed to Jefferson, by his contemporaries)




“"The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation – enlightened as it is – if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men." -Samuel Adams”




"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."




"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States."


And perhaps the most important from Thomas Jefferson:


.. And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."


love when a patriot steps on a dime and takes his time



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kingsquirel
 


Is that a good thing? Sorry the saying threw me.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight
 


These polls are manipulated for the desired outcome.

You simply can not believe them.

There is an enemy inside the gate, and hunkered down at the Media studio.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingsquirel

Originally posted by xedocodex
reply to post by milkyway12
 


You do realize that if you say you are starting a revolution against the United States Of America, that means you are declaring you are no longer part of the country and therefore are no longer granted the rights the Constitution gives you....right?

Gun people really don't think these things through very well.


By far the worst (straw man) tactic, that I have ever seen.


You my friend deserve not only a
, but a pardon
for not only being a blatant shill to the United States Constitution,but actively being in denial to the rules and regulations of the bill of rights


i have never in my time on ATS observed an individual so blatantly go out of his way to Critique a (Red Herring) and try to oust a Patriot of the U.S. with Ad-Hock


And yet you failed to show how it is a straw man.

If you leave the United States, through rebellion or secession, the Constitution no longer applies to you.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex
 


On the flipside, the seceding states would probably call themselves the "true USA" because the other half doesn't follow the constitution. Whoever won would end up being the USA, the rest would be absorbed at a later date or ignored.

I honestly don't see the relevancy of your point.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This refrain sounds hauntingly familiar. Just like the Prez Election at the end of November:

"Those polls are all fake or manipulated, Romney will win with a comfortable lead."


OOPS.

Perhaps it's time to learn something about statistics instead of just dismissing it as lies when it doesn't agree with your worldview?



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
That sample size is completely irrelevant when you consider the US entire population, and how many actually own and use guns on a regular basis.

These polls are usually to cause a knee-jerk reaction, you can't get information from 1,033 people from a nation of 311+ million people.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
That sample size is completely irrelevant when you consider the US entire population, and how many actually own and use guns on a regular basis.

These polls are usually to cause a knee-jerk reaction, you can't get information from 1,033 people from a nation of 311+ million people.


Of course you can. There's an entire science devoted to performing just such feats, called Statistics. Not only can you "get information" from a sample size significantly smaller than the whole, you can also figure out how likely you are to be wrong and by how much due to the random nature of sampling. You can tell how confident you can be in your analysis and how much adding another 1000, 5000, or 10000 people polled would help (hint: in many cases, it won't).



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jsipprell
 


And anyone in the statics industry will tell you that it can be tailored to suite any need, regardless of the info at hand.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by jsipprell
 


And anyone in the statics industry will tell you that it can be tailored to suite any need, regardless of the info at hand.




Statistics is a science; you can't tailor it to a specific agenda (and still do it correctly), but you can spin the intentions and what the results actually represent.

That's not really the point though, I'm just addressing the claim that you can't tell anything meaningful from 1000 samples out of 311 million. It's just not true.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jsipprell
 


If the process and the person running the process is honest, then yes.
But, I have yet to see anyone in the political realm and news be honest in the statistics process.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsipprell

Originally posted by eXia7
That sample size is completely irrelevant when you consider the US entire population, and how many actually own and use guns on a regular basis.

These polls are usually to cause a knee-jerk reaction, you can't get information from 1,033 people from a nation of 311+ million people.


Of course you can. There's an entire science devoted to performing just such feats, called Statistics. Not only can you "get information" from a sample size significantly smaller than the whole, you can also figure out how likely you are to be wrong and by how much due to the random nature of sampling. You can tell how confident you can be in your analysis and how much adding another 1000, 5000, or 10000 people polled would help (hint: in many cases, it won't).


if the sample size was from 10,000 - 40,000 respondents, then I might take that poll a little more serious.



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
LOL, good thing the United States is a Republic and not ruled by the mob.

Oh wait..



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Let me guess, the poll was done via Diebold machine. We all know how that works out!

Kinda like asking the mafia to count your money for you!
edit on 25-1-2013 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yep,

"Fringe" Sherriffs against gun control, imagine that!



a wave of county sheriffs all across the country is rising up to protect gun rights, too. Dozens of chief law enforcement officers have already pledged not to enforce new gun control, and many have even promised to actively prevent the enforcement of unconstitutional federal statutes within their jurisdictions.

Elected sheriffs, as the top law enforcement officers within their counties, work for the citizens and taxpayers in their jurisdictions, not the federal government. Even the Supreme Court ruled that sheriffs cannot be compelled to follow federal dictates or mandates in a landmark case on gun control.
thenewamerican.com...


Lies, lies.... MSM lies, untruths and outright fabrication.
edit on 25-1-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex
 


The question is, which Constitution? Which do you serve?






top topics



 
7
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join