It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think Something Not So Good Just Happened at the LA Sinkhole(Determined False Alarm)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

That is a helicorder display, and no, that does not look good.

Stay tuned, trying for more information....

That could indicate collapse...and...well...

edit on Thu Jan 24th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Here's another look:
www.iris.edu...

However, I don't think that propagated extremely widely yet, still checking nearby stations.... That could possibly be a piece of equipment they are moving....

EDIT: Nope, Pretty sure that is not seismic, from several features.
1) Did NOT propagate to other local stations.
2) notice mechanical looking even spikes in the waveform.
3) I haven't run spectro on it, but no need. It would have had to have propagated further for me to pursue that. That is almost assuredly some kind of equipment.

Unless someone would care to dispute, all PLEASE UNFLAG THIS THREAD.
Sorry, false alarm.
But rest easy, sigh of relief.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thank you TA. I just saw those and was hoping someone like you would notice. This is not good. I am headed off to check local news.

Also, many of them are showing something at the same time.
edit on 24-1-2013 by AuntB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
wow, if those are true readings that has impressive potential and not in a good way. keep us less geological savvy readers up to date OP.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's a fifteen minute recording, too long to be explained away as an anomaly.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Will be anxiously awaiting any news on this...potential for a really bad situation to have just gotten a lot worse.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Flag and bump, just in case this is serious. Hope not.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Pardon my ignorance on the topic, but can anyone explain to me what sorts of things can happen as a result of something like this?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm
Pardon my ignorance on the topic, but can anyone explain to me what sorts of things can happen as a result of something like this?

i think, but not sure, that the biggest fear would be igniting the natural gas contained under this sink hole.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
here's a site i check, since i live in central california
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...
no biggies yet

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Wow that looks crazy!

Could the rest of the cavern have collapsed? Maybe the wall collapsed into another cavern? Or as mentioned already, could the methane have ignited?

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by csuldm

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check it out. There are also a bunch of youtube vids with pics showing the expansion and discussion on potential issues and possibilities.

I dont know enough about it, but it looks like the sinkhole is having some growing pains in the op.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Good job posting this on the Sinkhole thread, hopefully Cajun or some of the others can get eyes on the ground pretty quickly.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Went looking through the msm, nothing about this seismic activity that I could find, but a new article from an hour ago says there are 11 new gas bubbling sites in the sinkhole.

www.claimsjournal.com...

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Appears they just started building a new access road to the sinkhole - maybe heavy equipment?
wafb.com

Cranch says there will eventually be a total of 16 vent wells in the area with plans to replace the governments above-ground seismic monitors with monitors that will be 80 feet below the surface.

"You get a clearer signal. From what could be happening seismically directly beneath us or as far away as Alaska," said Cranch. "They're that sensitive. They can pick up that kind of seismic activity."

Wonder if they'll give live data from these new seismic monitors being installed?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Oh My! Most Instruments are showing a major event taking place!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
ATTENTION PLEASE: REREAD OP AND UNFLAG THREAD< THANKS.

However, just to be sure, I now do have live spectro on it, and I will watch for a while in case anything happens. Really sorry folks. I saw it on another site first, took one look at all that clipping, and posted. Evidently that helicorder plot sensitivity is cranked up or the clipping point is set low, and a big piece of equipment such as a large industrial pump could be the cause. But it is localized to that station. A major underground collapse would have caused at least two or three stations to show it, if not many more.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I found this article after a quick G-search. Lovely. I still say this is a prelude to a new supervolcano. Just liquefaction into the Gulf and underwater bubble for 100's of years.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by csuldm

There is a huge quantity of liquid butane stored in a nearby salt dome. I haven't looked at this for a few weeks, and I'm not sure if they got any of it moved, but there was enough to make an explosion of monstrous proportions.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by freebornman

I am in the process of finding out if it was a tremor that happened or maybe something else. As for the butane, they have been removing it but it is such a long drawn out process it is taking a long time. They started a few months ago removing it, they only removed 1/4th of it so far.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
OK folks, good news. It is happening AGAIN right now as I type, and with the spectro I can see the frequency content. MOST DEFINATELY NOT SEISMIC. K? Clearly mechanical.

Now you can go to the other sites, and tell em no.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join