It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first ever tablet with vanishing liquid keyboard - no more fiddly buttons!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
How cool is this new tablet. The buttons appear from under the surface of the screen to make it easier to compose an email or text message.

Its due for release next year, and the company behind it are already developing more uses for the technology

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Oh wow! At first I didn't get what you meant.

But after watching the video ... Shut up and take my money!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Wow that is awsome. Can we have brailtops now for people wanting brail tablets?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Thats a brilliant idea

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

whoa

i read some reports on this but never saw a vid.

the mindboggles, i'm tempted to declare it as witchcraft and bring out the pitchforks and torches...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!! SALTLS!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I think it would be nice, but I think it moves to slow for them. But I hope this tech does not get buried, there are so many things it could be used for. I do wonder how much pressure the buttons can take and how long it lasts. No point it if won't last longer then 3 years...unless you're an apple user and used to getting a new phone or pad every year.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

Is this "vanishing liquid keyboard" supposed to be better than a touchscreen?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Its a layer over the touch screen, which sort of inflates to create raised buttons.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

You mean it's a type of accessory in addition?

I suppose if so, they could just manufacture the tablets with these items included?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by Kurokage

You mean it's a type of accessory in addition?

I suppose if so, they could just manufacture the tablets with these items included?

No its built into the tablet screen. The idea is to produce tablets and phones with this already built in. They used a new screen on an existing tablet to demonstrate the technology.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Not an accessory more of an adapation of touch screen tech, the other alternate idea is electrical fields which makes your finger feel a button which isn't there.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
That's some straight up alien technology!

I wonder how long that's been lying around in a DARPA lab?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Great idea, as long as it doesn't spring a leak.

They should take it to the next level.
Make the entire screen tactile for video interface with another user of like tablet.

i.e. During a 'facetime' (or skype) session, one person places a hand, or object, on his screen and it rises up on the other person's screen. Virtual kiss.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonewulph
Great idea, as long as it doesn't spring a leak.

They should take it to the next level.
Make the entire screen tactile for video interface with another user of like tablet.

i.e. During a 'facetime' (or skype) session, one person places a hand, or object, on his screen and it rises up on the other person's screen. Virtual kiss.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

That would take hotchatting to a whole new level...

I can think of several excellent applications for this type of tech. Neato-o! Im also liking this as I HATE my touchscreens... and they hate me.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Now imagine if you went back in time 15 years and showed this thing to your past self!

People would probably be freaked out by technology like that back in the late 90's.

"It's surfs the internet wirelessly, takes photos...oh and the screen transforms....yeah it's pretty standard stuff in 2013."

The bluetooth laser keyboard I have freaks people out, and that technology has been around for a few years.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Take a Galaxy S3,iPhone,HTC One X etc back 15 years and they wouldn't believe it was real and possible.The same with 64gb compact flash cards or 2 tb external HDDs small enough to hold in one hand.
This is a very clever idea,but can't see it having any real practical advantages over a touch screen tablet or PC which also doesn't have fiddly buttons.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
We all know old people prefer buttons over touch screens. This is why they still make the Blackberry!

I can see folks in their 50's and up liking this technology. It has the look of the sleeker, touch screen phones AND it has nice big buttons for when your eyesight starts to go...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
We all know old people prefer buttons over touch screens. This is why they still make the Blackberry!

I can see folks in their 50's and up liking this technology. It has the look of the sleeker, touch screen phones AND it has nice big buttons for when your eyesight starts to go...

Old people...

Im foe-ing you now...

79% hate touchscreens... the smudgy germy things!
amplicate.com...

( See... you can find a statistic in your favor regardless of what it is... LOL! )

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

Not really sure I want to think of what the adult entertainment industry would like to use this tech for. But I bet they'd find all kind of uses for it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join