California - Gun Ban bill being unveiled now! CNN

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
Just an FYI to everyone. Uncle Joe Biden was on NBC news and told everyone that shotguns were a better home defense weapon over an AR. In fact he said we should all run out and get us some shotgun shells. It was a Q&A with folks video taping questions.

That guy's alright.

Yes, It's always nice to get a "Reach around" right before a good Effing! Lol... Biden? Really? Come on now! Don't believe the hype!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Wasn't meant to be sarcasm and I deleted it because I thought the mods would remove it as it might be termed as off topic that's why I did it.

Just let it fly!! It’s just a conversation.

Why is your govt buying hollow point bullets that are outlawed by the Geneva Convention? They have bought enough ordinary bullets to put about at least 5 rounds into every American citizen! Even more than what has been fired in the war going on right now. What is all that about?

Something is up….those aren’t used for target practice. I’m trying to figure out the need for those rounds as well and I’ve made a thread or two on the topic. What does that have to do with my rights?

And sorry, but you lot are under complete govt control more than us.

You show me your gun and I’ll show you mine!

I can’t address your claim because I don’t know where you’re from. I suppose you’d like me to take your word for it and move on?

Wasn't saying anything about your right. Just that I don't like the way yout Obama is treating the American people. Kind of reminds me of a dictator in the making.
You can't have this, you can't have that. Don't do this, don't do that. Things that have been done for years seem all of a sudden to be illegal or soon to be.
No wonder a lot of Sherrifs are going against him as well as others.
I don't dispute you have your guns, but truthfully, a lot of you seem to have an arsenal of weapons. What for?
If it is to defend your home and loved ones then yes I agree, but to have so many is on the verge of stupidity. Why not have 2 or 3 decent ones that you know are perfect instead of multiple guns and bullets everywhere.
Anyway, that's my personal opinion and you will have yours which I respect as it is your right, so far, to have guns.

Just read this on the forum that soon you will all be banned from smoking cigarettes now if it goes through!

SALEM, OR (KPTV) - If you're a regular smoker, you may want to keep an eye on a new bill in the Oregon Legislature. Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor's prescription. Under the proposal, offenders would face maximum punishments of one year in prison, a $6,250 fine or both.

edit on 24-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

So that's guns now cigarettes, what's next? Breathing?
edit on 24-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Wasn't saying anything about your right. Just that I don't like the way yout Obama is treating the American people. Kind of reminds me of a dictator in the making.
You can't have this, you can't have that. Don't do this, don't do that. Things that have been done for years seem all of a sudden to be illegal or soon to be.

I totally agree with your observation, but your post was a sarcastic remark about Americans feeling naked without our guns. How can you feel sympathy for us having our rights stripped and in the same breathe criticize us for exercising that right?

I don't dispute you have your guns, but truthfully, a lot of you seem to have an arsenal of weapons. What for?

If it is to defend your home and loved ones then yes I agree, but to have so many is on the verge of stupidity. Why not have 2 or 3 decent ones that you know are perfect instead of multiple guns and bullets everywhere.

Like I said, I don’t expect you to understand. I could bloviate for 4 paragraphs about WHY some people have multiple guns but it would be in vein. I will say this….our 2nd amendment isn’t about necessities, it’s about RIGHTS, and different weapons serve different purposes.

Do you fish? If so, you understand the need for a tackle box full of lures and weights; one or two lures doesn’t cover all of the scenarios…..there is a different need depending on the application.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion and you will have yours which I respect as it is your right, so far, to have guns.

Fair enough!

Star for you, sir. I respect your opinion as well.

edit on 24-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I totally agree with your observation, but your post was a sarcastic remark about Americans feeling naked without our guns. How can you feel sympathy for us having our rights stripped and in the same breathe criticize us for exercising that right?

Like I said, I don’t expect you to understand. I could bloviate for 4 paragraphs about WHY some people have multiple guns but it would be in vein. I will say this….our 2nd amendment isn’t about necessities, it’s about RIGHTS, and different weapons serve different purposes.

Do you fish? If so, you understand the need for a tackle box full of lures and weights; one or two lures doesn’t cover all of the scenarios…..there is a need depending on the application.

Fair enough!

Star for you, sir. I respect your opinion as well.

edit on 24-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Well as the saying goes, free speech costs nothing and I can see the American point of view as well.
As I said, I'm not against you having guns, I fired my first real gun when I was in the Army and a machine gun as well as shotguns etc so do know the power and damage they can cause.
Apologies if you thought I was being sarcastic as I didn't mean to be, only wondering what it must be like to travel without a gun while flying somewhere in the States.
Anyway, good to talk to you and you take care out there as the sergeant used to say in Hill Street Blues, miss that show

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What seabag said. Even though 5.56 and .223 will fit in the same chamber, the chamber pressure of a 5.56 in a .223 chamber can cause malfunctions. I'd shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber all day long, I'd probably be less enthusiastic for the opposite.

I haven't flown in years, I refuse to submit to a sexual assault just to travel. If my employer wants to foot the bill I might, but for the family especially because of my daughters, it's by road or we don't go. I've also limited my personal travel to states that have reciprocity with my state as far as concealed carry permits. And I don't carry everywhere I go, but I always carry on a road trip.

I think the things that piss me off the most about the current crop of screechers about gun control fascists are, in no particular order after the first:
1) What don't you understand about "will not be infringed".
2) If you want to change the 2nd just say you do we can debate that.
3) Assault weapon is a made up term.
4) Can't tell the difference between semi auto and full auto.
5) 30 round magazines are in case the first 29 aren't enough.
6)Two guns that function exactly the same one is evil because it's black and has a pistol grip
7)Some aren't even US citizens and should sit down shut up and let us work this out.
8)Why should I believe you will stop at those scary "assault rifles" Senator when you're entire public career has seen one attempt to ban guns after another.

It's incredibly easy for someone like Fineslime or Bloomby to say no one needs weapons when they have paid security to attend to their personal well being.

I think the left has overreached here. Like I said earlier I've had several conversations with folks of varying political affiliation, race, education, and socioeconomic status. With only a few outliers, the consensus is: they aren't getting them. I was talking this issue with a couple of African American friends and Obama supporters. They're a gun owner, likes the Prez, but feels the same as me. I felt comfortable enough about how well they knew me to make the following statement "The South seceded from the US over slavery when only a small portion of the population (all relatively rich) owned slaves, what do you think we'd do over our guns?" We were having this conversation in my house right before the prez's announcement and I was getting worked up my wife looked me in the eyes and said "I don't know why you're so worked up about this, you're from, and we live in the South". I can't describe how much better that made me feel.

I know the naysayers will say stuff like "no one seceded in '94 with the last AWB or the laws passed in'86, '68, or '34", "you're just talk, you'll do just as the Aussies and Brits did", or other patronizing statements; and, maybe they are right, but if they are wrong the consequences for us all are going to be brutal. For a body of lawmakers that can't even meet its fiduciary obligation of passing a budget for over four years now to attack one of my freedoms is the ultimate in hubris. The social divisions in this country are as deep as in '68 and the economic conditions (if you were to take out the .gov deficit spending and inflationary policies of the FED) are as deep as in the '30s. Combine those two things with an assault against a fundamental human liberty (though one recognized by few governments outside the US) and you've got a recipe for bloodshed and disaster.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Geeeez. I am surprised that the priest didnt start quoting Romans 13 and Isaiah 2:4 while "beating a sword into a plowshare" on tv while Feinstein beat an AR-15 into a pulp.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
"He wouldnt have driven his mothers car there that day if he didnt have access to guns he saw in video games."

High school debate teams pull off better performances.

I'm sure he wouldn't have driven his mothers car there that day if he didn't have a license either...

my 2 year old comes up with better points than these people...I'm not joking...I'm serious my 2yr old is a genius compared to these loons...

this crap is so infuriating...but I have to keep reminding myself that it is SUPPOSED to be infuriating...how else are they going to kick off a civil war and implement their totalitarian rule with ANY bit of justification???

My guess is this only going to get more and more absurd and people will start loosing their cool (as intended) in the government created twilight zone where up is down, down is up, freedom is slavery, war is peace etc...

The nonsense and propaganda is going to get more and more blatantly obvious until we hear the modern day shot heard round the world...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

Actually for CQB confrontations he is correct (assuming that you can dispatch the threat without reloading). ONE 2 3/4" shotgun shell loaded with 9 or so .30 buckshot weights 1.25 oz which is the same weight as TEN 55 gr 5.56 (.223) bullets and at close range (ie, home defense) the long range trajectory is not an issue (and with slugs you can kill a deer at 100 yards with good accuracy). Looking down a 1/2 inch barrel is scarier than looking at a .22 barrel as well...and the sound of racking a shell in a shotgun is "scarier" than charging a round in the chamber in a AR platform rifle. Take one of each and go shoot at a sheet of aluminum at 8 yards and compare the holes!
edit on 24-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Criminals love gun control. It makes their job easier and safer.

WHICH ones?

The ones in the White house or on the street?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Criminals love gun control. It makes their job easier and safer.

WHICH ones?

The ones in the White house or on the street?

there a difference?

*high fives

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

All these people so far, Feinstein, Schumer and Bloomenthal, come from states with AWB's in place. States that among the most crime ridden in the country.

Anyone thinking we should follow their example is suicidal.
edit on 24-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

All the big city mayors are there - seems they have a problem with gun violence, don't they?
See what happens when you disarm the citizens?
Of course they wouldn't notice, they all live in gated communities with armed guards.

My favorite part is how this bill will instantly create millions of new felons if they refuse to get fingerprinted and pay for the "privilege" of owning their property.

I think I should add this whole new gun control push was due to an event the police have been lying to us about since day 1. Was an AR even used in the Sandy Hook shootings? If so, then what was the other gun found besides the Saiga shotgun in the trunk?
The entire thing is being predicated on a lie.
That's why the Police report isn't coming out until mid March!
edit on 24-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

There are a lot of facts that are being twisted in order to get this gun control ban passed, which to me, means that there are ulterior motives. If the motives were pure, the facts would not have to be twisted.

I think it is sad that the majority of our population aren't going to have the critical thinking skills or debate skills to understand they are being manipulated, or to at least question what is going on, or to be perceptive enough of lies that are fairly obvious.
edit on 25-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Texas and some of the other southern states will be the only ones who stand up against the federal Government. I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years times Texas secedes. If they do though, I'm going to Texas. I want to move there now but my current position doesn't allow for that. Anyway all of this gun control crap is getting to much to stomach. I just want to puke but we must keep fighting. No bill restricting firearms is small at all. Anyone who writes such bills and votes yes on them needs to be removed from office. They're violating that Oath they took, scumbags don't care because to 99.99% of them it's just a easy pay check with special interest payments. Their vote, sold to the highest bidder.

Originally posted by darkbake

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

All these people so far, Feinstein, Schumer and Bloomenthal, come from states with AWB's in place. States that among the most crime ridden in the country.

Anyone thinking we should follow their example is suicidal.
edit on 24-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

All the big city mayors are there - seems they have a problem with gun violence, don't they?
See what happens when you disarm the citizens?
Of course they wouldn't notice, they all live in gated communities with armed guards.

My favorite part is how this bill will instantly create millions of new felons if they refuse to get fingerprinted and pay for the "privilege" of owning their property.

I think I should add this whole new gun control push was due to an event the police have been lying to us about since day 1. Was an AR even used in the Sandy Hook shootings? If so, then what was the other gun found besides the Saiga shotgun in the trunk?
The entire thing is being predicated on a lie.
That's why the Police report isn't coming out until mid March!
edit on 24-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

There are a lot of facts that are being twisted in order to get this gun control ban passed, which to me, means that there are ulterior motives. If the motives were pure, the facts would not have to be twisted.

I think it is sad that the majority of our population aren't going to have the critical thinking skills or debate skills to understand they are being manipulated, or to at least question what is going on, or to be perceptive enough of lies that are fairly obvious.
edit on 25-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Most of them it's probably just a pay check. Control over the population is probably another motive. I wouldn't doubt if they're scared of the people so that could be a reason. An armed populace could easily remove anyone from office they desire. Power, Money, and control seem to be the most logical conclusion in my mind.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

Are you doubting our illustrious VP's concern for our safety?

Anyway, thought it was a humorous answer. Shotguns are okay because criminals fear those more than ARs. Awesome answer!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp

Originally posted by Feltrick
Just an FYI to everyone. Uncle Joe Biden was on NBC news and told everyone that shotguns were a better home defense weapon over an AR. In fact he said we should all run out and get us some shotgun shells. It was a Q&A with folks video taping questions.

That guy's alright.

Yes, It's always nice to get a "Reach around" right before a good Effing! Lol... Biden? Really? Come on now! Don't believe the hype!

Yea he like shotguns.....just like those guys in the movie "Deliverance". I bet he likes banjos as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
One should take note that the NRA and gun lobby is the most powerful conservative money source for the Republican Party. So, this is not about taking guns away, its about bankrupting the gun industry to destroy the money source for the Rep Party.

That's why little kids from the Sandy Hook shooting were being exploited on National TV while the President spoke on the issue. Obama's people are spin-ster experts. They can take a crack in the sidewalk and legislate new earthquake standards and then blame the Republicans, AND 51% of the people will believe it.

Its about money and power and the Democrats smell blood. If they regulate a clip (holds bullets) to 7 bullets max, then 95% of all guns will be illegal. This will bankrupt the industry.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JrSkeptic
One should take note that the NRA and gun lobby is the most powerful conservative money source for the Republican Party. So, this is not about taking guns away, its about bankrupting the gun industry to destroy the money source for the Rep Party.
The Really neat thing about ATS is when People believe things that are , oh so wrong, they can be Corrected.

Jr , You are Corrected. www.opensecrets.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

What seabag said. Even though 5.56 and .223 will fit in the same chamber, the chamber pressure of a 5.56 in a .223 chamber can cause malfunctions. I'd shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber all day long, I'd probably be less enthusiastic for the opposite.

I'm a shooter and reloader from way back. Iv'e heard this distinction twice now and need some clarification.
.223 is the same as 5.56 just one is American Standard and the other Metric. Chamber pressure is a function of the powder charge, the weight of the bullet and other factors like barrel length, crimp and bullet seating depth.

Maybe the distinction you are referring to is between military and domestic or civilian loads?

Is it a nomenclature thing today? Other wise the rounds are the same.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Yah, 12 gauge at room distance hits like hammer of Thor. At close range the shot is still a "lump" in the wad and will behave like a frangible round at that distance. Explosive. All the energy is delivered in the target whereas a single rifle round will penetrate the target and several sheetrock walls besides (like your neighbors house).

Most encounters occur at close range and like you said a twelve gauge shotgun has a "assault" look and sound all its own. Even before its fired.

Tchk - Tchk!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

the difference lies in just the case wall thickness of military brass...or so i have been told...allowing military rounds to withstand a bit more pressure without stretching or splitting a case.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Thanks. So I did some looking... and found this on it. Its been a while since I reloaded.

5.56 versus .223

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join