It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will private space out-compete NASA: Space X, DSI etc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Guys, what are your thoughts on this...

In 2013 we expect to see plenty of private space projects come to fruition, which is sounds like great news to me as the private sector provides any service more efficiently, effectly and cheaper than government.

I'd like to know

1. Do you think private space endeavour will outcompete NASA to the point of obsoletion? Here is Golden Spike, I really think they capture the spirit of human enterprise.

2. Will you be willing to step up and join this space grab? The latest on the Mars One project.

C'mon guys, this is my first thread post, help me make it a good one!

Regards,1nquisitive

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
NASA will probably end up as a paper pushing dept of space stuff that will certify anything American as safe to go into space as theres no political will at the moment in space adventures and with everything it does needing permission from 100 layers of government it'll always be cheaper/easier for the private sector to step in and just get the job done

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
depends what the govt do to maintain control.... competition breeds efficiency, so without the govt stepping in and interfering I dont see how they can keep up

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
depends what the govt do to maintain control.... competition breeds efficiency, so without the govt stepping in and interfering I dont see how they can keep up

Exactly-space is a big place, control would be very difficult.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I agree with the other posters. NASA will continue to be a driving factor in the Space Exploration field. However, in private hands, I think we can expect to see "accelerated" growth in Space infrastructure as venture capital companies set up shop in outer Space to take advantage of the vast resources in precious metals, minerals/ ores, and WATER. Exploitation of these resources can become abusive as some might become overly ambitious and even greedy in their endeavors to attain wealth in Space. NASA will become a watchdog agency setting rules and regulations in the management of Space and setting Space policy. NASA will become the police of the cosmos. So then "NASA" will have to change its identity to the "New Astronomical Security Agency."

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostbook

I agree with the other posters. NASA will continue to be a driving factor in the Space Exploration field. However, in private hands, I think we can expect to see "accelerated" growth in Space infrastructure as venture capital companies set up shop in outer Space to take advantage of the vast resources in precious metals, minerals/ ores, and WATER. Exploitation of these resources can become abusive as some might become overly ambitious and even greedy in their endeavors to attain wealth in Space. NASA will become a watchdog agency setting rules and regulations in the management of Space and setting Space policy. NASA will become the police of the cosmos. So then "NASA" will have to change its identity to the "New Astronomical Security Agency."

They probably will, I agree.

Think there's any chance of colonies claiming independence/ secession?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
But of course my dear boy. If we are to colonize the stars we must commercialize space flight. NASA will pale in comparison to what these private companies will be pumping out in the next two centuries provided we don't wipe one another off the face of the earth. Just kick back and wait it'll get pretty sweet soon.

jra

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nquisitive
1. Do you think private space endeavour will outcompete NASA to the point of obsoletion? Here is Golden Spike, I really think they capture the spirit of human enterprise.

I don't really see NASA as being in competition with private companies. If anything NASA would just become a customer of the private companies (which they already are). NASA could focus it's resources on R&D, as well as building more probes and sending astronauts into space, but without having to build the rockets, spaceships and all the associated costs of operating and maintaining them. They'd just have to pay for the launch costs, which saves them a fair bit of money.

The way I see it, private spaceflight is a good thing for NASA (and any other Government funded space agency).

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

In 2013 we expect to see plenty of private space projects come to fruition, which is sounds like great news to me as the private sector provides any service more efficiently, effectly and cheaper than government.

I'd like to know

2. Will you be willing to step up and join this space grab? The latest on the Mars One project.

Regards,1nquisitive

Your first comment is rubbish lots of government projects go to private contractors and go over budget!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

I'd like to know

Regards,1nquisitive

Your first comment is rubbish lots of government projects go to private contractors and go over budget!!!

Projects go over budget because of overnment mismanagement.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Projects go over budget because of government mismanagement.

So if a private contractor messes up it's still the governments fault

edit on 25-1-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
1. "Do you think private space endeavour will outcompete NASA to the point of obsoletion? Here is Golden Spike, I really think they capture the spirit of human enterprise."

No-one will render NASA obsolete. SpaceX, for example can make rockets cheaper than NASA can get them made for, yet without the money from NASA and other companies, they would not make a profit. This means until going to space is affordable for the average citizen, NASA is going to lead the frontier.

I would love to go to space. Whether as a miner for DSI or PR(planetary Resources) or as a Mars One astronaut. I love space.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooter591

You should apply to Mars One!

new topics

top topics

join