It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My neighbor had a home invasion last night

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
This is exactly why we keep a nice, fat shillelagh next to the bed. You don't recover from one of those swings without a hospital. Even if it's a small woman who's doing the swinging.

That is a great point....In the past when a tyrannical Government like England outlawed weapons the people created shillelaghs to bypass the laws.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I have a couple of hunting shotguns and riffles but I can't conceal and carry them around with me for protection. I'm 37 and been around guns my entire life. I've been hunting since I was 13. I might be crazy but I'm not stupid nor am I a murderer.

I'm sorry to hear this. I do not see a handgun as something more dangerous than a shotgun....

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Exactly.

You don't want your home perceived as the lowest hanging fruit in the neighborhood.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilky

Heh, love it.
A few years ago an intruder tried to break into a house but the homeowner was proficient with a samurai sword. It made the national news in the USA at least. If I remember right, the guy told the police they would be able to identify the intruder when he showed up at a hospital with missing body parts.

With almost 4 decades of martial arts training and 25 years of teaching martial arts, I'm one of the highest ranked individuals in the world in my martial art. Anyone who manages to force their way in here when I'm home is in for an extremely unpleasant experience. And if I'm not home, everyone else in the house knows how to take care of themselves too.

The advantage of martial arts is that you are always armed.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Late 60's? Perhaps a kinder more open to helping their neighbor in need generation? My Mom would have opened her door as well...more trusting for sure,might have though a "kid needed help...so many scenarios but being INVADED was mostly likely not in her mind?

Not sure she would have felt she "needed a gun..." I know my Mom of a similar age and era would have scoffed at the thought!

Didn't kill her? She got lucky...she may have been seriously injured or worse.

We don't "play footsie" with home invaders of ANY intent in Texas!

Wishing her well and glad she walked away with her life intact, hoping her future will be more joyful!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Late 60's? Perhaps a kinder more open to helping their neighbor in need generation? My Mom would have opened her door as well...more trusting for sure,might have though a "kid needed help...so many scenarios but being INVADED was mostly likely not in her mind?

Not sure she would have felt she "needed a gun..." I know my Mom of a similar age and era would have scoffed at the thought!

Didn't kill her? She got lucky...she may have been seriously injured or worse.

We don't "play footsie" with home invaders of ANY intent in Texas!

Wishing her well and glad she walked away with her life intact, hoping her future will be more joyful!

Heh, exactly!! If somone forces thier way in they have given up the right to walking out in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

That sucks X.

So I take it, your neighbor wasn't armed? I also take it shes not cautious to strangers knocking at the door late at night? I only ask. Not that everyone with a weapon, should have it locked and loaded, only that even those who are armed can have this happen to them. Personally, if someone is knocking at the door late, I would be wary. Maybe wary enough to grab my gun first, and ask who is it, last.......

S&F

edit on 24-1-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

You know Sonny, back in the days when I went armed, I had a peculiar way of answering knocks at the door after sundown. I'd jam a Browning HP35 into the back of my waistband, so that it wasn't immediately apparent or threatening, then set my foot as a doorstop so that the door wouldn't open more than a foot or so if it got rushed, find out who was at the door - or who they claimed to be - then just open it enough to confirm. Now, if anyone on the other side had rushed the door when it cracked open, they'd have certainly been able to get it open, after a short delay caused by my foot being in the way.

That delay was all I needed.

Once, during a rash of home invasion robberies in my area, I broke that rule. It was 03:15 in the morning, and whomever was at the door didn't bother knocking - they just tried to come in. I blew a 3 inch hole completely through my door, which entirely ruined the storm door, with a shotgun. They went away. Quickly. It just didn't strike me as particularly proper to try forced entry into a house out in the middle of nowhere at that hour of night, without announcing yourself, and all that in the middle of a rash of home invasions. Now, some might say "what if it was a neighbor needing the phone?" I didn't have a phone, annoying contraptions that they are, and all my neighbors knew that. they also knew that it wasn't particularly safe to poke around my place without me knowing they were there. I'm reasonably confident it wasn't a neighbor. Any "lost drunks" would have had to stagger a half mile in the dark, through the woods, to even find my door, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of them, either.

Now I'm older. I don't have the strength, the speed, or the reflexes for that sort of thing any more. I don't have a gun. What I DO have, no one has thought of to outlaw. Sucks for miscreants. If the need ever arises, they'll find parts of said miscreants strung out for as far as they are able to stagger, and I won't even be out of breath. I can't afford to be - I'm too old for that sort of thing now.

This victimization of innocents and the infirm really needs to be addressed. For most, a little gun and a lot of awareness would see them through, and here we are, in the 21st century, when such things are apparently too "uncivilized" for us.

When are they gonna convince the BAD GUYS that it's uncivilized?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

This victimization of innocents and the infirm really needs to be addressed. For most, a little gun and a lot of awareness would see them through, and here we are, in the 21st century, when such things are apparently too "uncivilized" for us.

When are they gonna convince the BAD GUYS that it's uncivilized?

As long as people who think its easy to victimize regular citizens, they will try to do it. Especially if they believe they can succeed.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

There is such a big difference in a weapon in the hands of the worthy and those who are just using it as an extension of their own depravity. I hate that 'they' will deem who is worthy or not, that is going to be a tragedy more than likely.

I had a good friend who was nuttier than a fruit cake in some respects, he was a Vet who had been contaminated in every way a man could be in Vietnam. He was however one of the only people I ever trusted with my children, I always knew he had my back in any situation and could count on him to be there for me 100%.

I used to clean his house for him, he never let anyone touch his coffee table as there was no room for anything but his guns and knives. I did not know about this and one day cleaned the table while he was in the bathroom....

Well... I then became the only person he ever let touch, or clean his table. I had placed everything back exactly as he had them. He somehow trusted me.

Point here is that if something ever went down, Americans, people like your wife, your neighbor, children could count on this man being their protector. There is no doubt about that.

He would have been among the first to have his freedom disregarded with the new gun regulations, the VA where he was seen would have put him on the list no doubt as he did have a challenge with psyc type authority, for good reason.

(Shoot, I forget what I was replying to...)

I understand that you are the nicest man on the block and they are lucky to have you. Remember to keep fighting to keep your right to protect your family, your neighbors and yourself, because with as much action as you have undoubtedly seen in the past years, you could be vulnerable to the agenda to disarm too. (I personally think you would be able to defend without guns if you had too,

edit on 26-1-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
Are you in the south bay area of Cali? This almost exact same storyline happened a few days ago in my in-laws neighborhood. They live in a very nice neighborhood where nothing ever happens, then all of a sudden there's a home invasion. Very scary stuff but I've been saying since 2008 that as the Economy gets worse, we will see things like this happen more often...in fact I am surprised it hasn't been more often
edit on 1/25/2013 by AnonymousMoose because: (no reason given)

No, near Vancouver Washington, but ya I think it will happen more. I think yesterday in Portland there was one and the bad guy shot the homeowner twice...

Amazing how similar the stories are. I think there has been some good discussion on here, and some bring out some good points. In this scenario, having a gun in the bedroom probably wouldn't have helped as much as a security screen or maybe a peep hole in the door...I still feel safer with a firearm nearby though

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by Cuervo
This is exactly why we keep a nice, fat shillelagh next to the bed. You don't recover from one of those swings without a hospital. Even if it's a small woman who's doing the swinging.

That is a great point....In the past when a tyrannical Government like England outlawed weapons the people created shillelaghs to bypass the laws.

I hope they don't outlaw shillelaghs, then. I'd have to get a gun!

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

A black belt does not stop FMJ bullets. It never has, it never will. I guess I'm a cretin. A armed cretin at that. An armed cretin that can and will blow your home invading arse right back out the door. Waiting on 911 will get you killed. We have Sheriff's in the USA telling their folks to take a arms class and arm yourself. The sheriff's themselves say " 911 is not going to get there in time"

When the sheriff's dept is telling you to arm yourself, IMHO that's a real clear message to me and everyone else. ARM YOURSELVES. So you can go all Billy Jack on the criminals that wish to do you harm. I'll stick with the Charles Bronson approach, it works for me.

And a big thank you to Gaston Glock for making such a fine dependable firearm. And Mr. Mossberg, & Mr. Smith & Mr Wesson for getting together. I don't think these guys were martial arts folks.
edit on 28-1-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If ever there is a knock or doorbell ring after dark at my house, and I'm not expecting visitors, I am cautious. I always answer with a handgun on me and not without looking through the peephole first and if I don't recognize them I ask through the door who it is and what they want. If I have to open the door I do it cautiously and ready to draw. If I don't like the look of the person I don't even deal with opening the door and on limited occasions have called police to report a suspicious person in the neighborhood. Heck, I'm even weary about answering the door during the day unarmed. These people don't care if it's day or night just as they don't care if you're just some guy or a mother of 3.

Every time it has been harmless, and most times for everyone else it will be, but there's always that chance of it being someone who wants to destroy you and take your stuff. Tells someone like Donna Jackson she doesn't have the right to own a gun and protect her home when the police cannot. If not for her gun she'd likely be dead by a heads of a career criminal.

And it's also not even about being in a bad area vs a good one, because believe me, I'm in a good area and we get a decent amount of shady people. Not to racialize anything, but I had one night past midnight where this large black guy knocks on the door and you can tell there is no car outside, and this guy isn't from anywhere near my house (not saying wealthy blacks don't exist, but I know who my neighbors are).

Something I would suggest to people who live alone, especially women, is one of those hotel-style swing guards.

And of course, sorry to hear about your neighbor. At least she still has her life though, which is what matters. Read the story on KGW and it's a shame that people like the Facebook commenter on the bottom exist, claiming it's a hoax.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

thats what the morons FOR gun control think

you are correct. i post a lot of times when im half dead lol srry

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Read this old thread and it got me thinking.

I'm a single mom and in the 15 years I've lived in my tract home in a relatively decent neighborhood there have been probably at least 4-5 times that someone has tried to just "rush" my front door -- like hit it really hard turning the knob, so if it had been unlocked they'd be in, or not 100% latched even if locked they'd have been in. In every case it was fully closed, latched and locked, and they went away. (There's been many instances of just "walked in abruptly" during daylight when door was unlocked in our city over the last dozen years.)

The list of reasons why a gun is inappropriate on this thread are amazing. Apparently the world I live in, is drastically different than the world many other people live in.

Where multiple neighbors would love to be dedicating their attention to knowing your name never mind your safety.

Where you can just afford to move to a gated community.

Where you can easily find ANY neighborhood free of crime and up and move to it.

Where you're allowed to have and can train, afford and deal with a decent dog. (I'm more likely to get myself killed defending my large dog, the only kind I like, although I'd like to have one, if other pets and city restrictions on quantity and the cost and physical demands didn't make it unworkable.)

Where one can not only afford electronic surveillance but surreally, also trusts that this would 'replace' some powerful means of protecting oneself between the alarm (silent or not) and someone either leaving instantly or getting 'caught' by the police.

Note: in some neighborhoods I've lived in, and these were middle-class tract home blocks mind you not ghetto, if the police are told there are guns involved and the crime event isn't already over, they sit outside the neighborhood until at least 4 cars are 'available' to go see what's up, for their own protection. I'm not knocking that. I'm just saying they are there to 'restore the peace' (mop up), not prevent, crime.

I think people may also live outside the world I'm in, where endless variants on meth et al. are everywhere and it doesn't matter what neighborhood or parking lot or walkway your house or car or person might be in, people will attack for anything they might steal or hock to buy them drugs. This is not about ghetto -- half the people involved are middle class and even higher, but eventually they're out of money. Your house/car/person does not need to seem rich. Any house with even a TV or someone's celfon might offer a few bucks for someone desperate.

Some advice is good, most of that listed would be "helpful" -- though not 100% secure, still 'helpful' -- but depending on how it's used, this is apparently the home-invasion version of "if you weren't asking for it you'd have been dressed like a nun."

It's true she shouldn't have opened her door, but seriously, given her past role in the neighborhood and someone's seeming sad story and that person seeming to be alone, I understand her not having sufficient paranoia in that instance. One never thinks it's going to happen to them. I tell my kid, never answer the door if you don't know who it is well.

But realistically if I were here at 2am and heard someone breaking in -- do I even have time to decide it's a person, call 911, wait for the police to get here, before someone may very likely be in the house already? Without a firearm is there any defense a woman of limited mobility would have in such a scenario? Probably not.

It was an interesting thread, partly because it probably well-represents the diversity of public opinion. Many of whom are living in that rainbow-unicorn world I hope I find one day.

RC

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
scary stuff. i hope she recovers swiftly, though the psychological damage will last a long time.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Do you not have peepholes? You must know who is there before you open the door. Sometimes I just say "I'm sorry, but I don't open the door for people I don't know. Leave now, or I will call the police. They leave.

This happened to a friend of mine's elderly parents in the suburbs of a large city. They were both killed. Police estimated it was five or six people who stormed the house. It was horrible. My friend has never gotten over it.

eta: You can buy peepholes at Lowe's. They are not very expensive, and anyone with a drill can follow the directions for installation.
edit on 12/5/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Want to invade my home. Come in as a criminal leave in a body bag.

I will provide this public service free of charge for the public good.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Do you not have peepholes? [...] They leave.

What if they don't leave?

What if some are coming in the back while some are distracting you in front?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join