It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My neighbor had a home invasion last night

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
So late night my neighbor answered her door a 9 o'clock and two guy busted into her house. They beat her up, she is in her late 60s, duck tape her, dragged her around by her hair, and robbed her. After they left she was able to slip out of her coat that had all the duck tape on it, and go next store.

She was beat up pretty good, and the cops could not find anything... It was a good lesson for me and my family to be ready. I practiced with my wife tonight to get one of my guns aim it and shoot until I felt secured she had pretty good skill.

All of our debates about guns really came to a close for me in I see them as first line of defense. My neighbor didn't have a chance if her attackers wanted to do more than they did. This was a really in my face event as to why I'm armed, and showed me that we are about as safe as what two guys decide to do. I live in a very upscale neighborhood, one that you would never see this coming.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

That sucks X.

So I take it, your neighbor wasn't armed? I also take it shes not cautious to strangers knocking at the door late at night? I only ask. Not that everyone with a weapon, should have it locked and loaded, only that even those who are armed can have this happen to them. Personally, if someone is knocking at the door late, I would be wary. Maybe wary enough to grab my gun first, and ask who is it, last.......

S&F

edit on 24-1-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Wow......any updates on how she's doing? That's a lady that needs to get herself a gun, and learn how to use it! Those things tend to go in waves, so be very careful.

You are right; this is a very good reason for people to own guns!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hi... I have a great offer for you!

Just let me know your address and I can set up an appointment for a comprehensive diagnostic of the vulnerability of your residence.

I assure you, you can trust my firm to be precise and discrete in our evaluation.

By all means, please do not have firearms in the residence, as this may prevent me & my associates from committing larceny of your residence.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your neighbor OP.

Deciding to use a firearm is a personal decision. I have already made my mind up about it. If a home invader decides to break into my home, it will be the last thing they ever do.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

funny story, we always have those adt guys come and they want to come in our house and see our disabled alarm system. Thats when I let them in and inform them that we are always home and armed and we don't want them to know about are whereabouts. Thats usually when they leave.

OP: Dont be so naive. 90% of home invasions happen in upscale neighborhoods.Criminals want your stuff. Im glad you and your neighbor are ok though.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

yah but they didnt kill her? so why shoot them geez are you crazy? so what if she will be terrified for the rest of her life to open a door. so what if she has gotten some wounds. so what if she feared for her life for an hour or more, so what if she might have been raped at 60 in her own home.

SO WHAT, thats no reason to shoot someone.

thats what the morons against gun control think,

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Home invaders should never be rewarded with their lives intact. It should be a highly fatal line of work.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
yah but they didnt kill her? so why shoot them geez are you crazy?

So she should wait until they killed her before shooting them?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Officers didn't do any forensics?

Is it possible she knew her attackers? Like a grandson shooting off at the mouth about what she owns?

I have a Ninja sword and mean dog that I sleep with.

Which reminds me. I need to go get some sleep. I have a long day tomorrow.

Ugh.

Everyday is a long day.

Hope she feels better soon. Poor gal.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I'm wondering how the dog adoption thing is doing? A dog is a very valuable thing to have - besides they're cute and good companions. And - THEY BARK loudly when a stranger is approaching, if they're trained right. Not attack dogs, but know family and friends, and know that it's a stranger.

I'm 49 years old. I grew up being able to leave my house, and my parents never worried about abductions, child molesters and those types of things.... I did with my son in the 80's and 90's, and now with my grand daughter - I won't let her go anywhere by herself - even in walmart - and she's 10 years old.

Now, you can't even feel safe in your own home, with the home invasions. I'm armed and don't ever answer the door unless I know who it is.

This is what our country has become.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Well guess what fella??... I have major doubts about the validity of your OP.

...They beat her up, she is in her late 60s, duck tape her, dragged her around by her hair, and robbed her. After they left she was able to slip out of her coat that had all the duck tape on it, and go next store... She was beat up pretty good.
While the above is more than possible and I wish for her wellness if so, is there any chance of providing an article/link to confirm this??

I find this indifferent also...

I practiced with my wife tonight to get one of my guns aim it and shoot until I felt secured she had pretty good skill.

Now, I'm guessing that you're a competent owner and user of firearms - yes/no??

Because if the answer is yes, you would well know that your wife isn't going to develop "pretty good skill" within the evening...??

While you being an owner of firearms, it never occured to you previously that your partner may have a need to protect herself and at least be familiar with the use of your firearms??

All of our debates about guns really came to a close for me in I see them as first line of defense... This was a really in my face event as to why I'm armed.
I don't get this part??

You are already armed - if the content of your OP was the convincer, what were your reasons for being armed in the first place??

...again, I have my doubts about the OP.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

My dog was trained NOT to bark. We don't want to give the surprise away now do we?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by txinfidel
reply to post by JibbyJedi

funny story, we always have those adt guys come and they want to come in our house and see our disabled alarm system. Thats when I let them in and inform them that we are always home and armed and we don't want them to know about are whereabouts. Thats usually when they leave.

OP: Dont be so naive. 90% of home invasions happen in upscale neighborhoods.Criminals want your stuff. Im glad you and your neighbor are ok though.

I always tell the ADT guys I don't need it, I have nothing of value worth taking.
I don't think its wise to have ADT and have their stupid sign on your lawn like an advert this home has stuff that needs guarding. We're wimps.

The best deterrent for intruders is a big mean dog. Or a tiger. Some people are using tigers now. They're roaming around outside on the property.

Quite often robberies are committed by people who know you, know your routine. The break-ins happen in clusters. The thief often goes back to the same house to load up on what couldn't be taken on the first attempt.

We had a serial robber in the neighbourhood a couple of months ago. It was scary to think you might be his next victim. He was on crack, an ex San Jose sharks player. He's not been violent as far as I know.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer
Home invaders should never be rewarded with their lives intact. It should be a highly fatal line of work.

You believe this despite the vast majority of burglars being merely opportunistic thieves taking full advantage of the average home owner's poor security protocols?

I'd agree that the kind of person who'd enter a home forcibly and without concern for being heard doing so, knowing there were people inside, doesn't deserve consideration of their own personal circumstances, but to treat that kind of home invader the same as the one who has taken advantage of an open window in what they thought was an empty home, only to have the occupiers return mid-burglary, makes you sound like a vengeful, bloodthirsty moron.

The woman in the OP's story could have avoided her traumatic experience by having purchased a reasonable quality front door monitoring device, and having a pre-arranged system with neighbours whereby if any resident is alone when they get strangers at the door, they can set off an alarm and all neighbours would go out to their front porch to see what was going on. On the vast majority of occasions, anyone up to no good would be off and away, while making a mental note not to try robbing in that neighbourhood again, and all without a shot being fired, which, I accept, might not be as exciting as getting out your trusty firearm and having a shoot-out, but will do your karmic resonance a world of good, long term.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

Anyone that would violate the sanctity of my home, will not leave my house walking. Best case scenario for them, a leg busted in a few places with my slugger.
And to hell with paying some company to monitor your house, call the pigs, and hope they make it in time.

edit on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 04:41:14 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

So why didn't you keep an eye on your neighbour? social control is key imo

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Why not just put all that latent enrergy you're saving up for a potential home invader into making sure your home can't be suddenly invaded? You can't be alert 24/7 with your trusty firearm or weapon of choice, and if you aren't single, having someone awake continually is no way to live.

As for your comments about not wanting to pay someone to monitor your home, or not wanting to rely on the police, in case you missed it, I was clearly referring to doing the monitoring yourself and having your neighbours included in your support team.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

My house can't really be suddenly invaded, unless it's someone the dogs know. If anyone pulls up my driveway I hear them most times, even when I am sleeping. Gravel is noisy, and there is not a lot of crappy noise here in the woods.

I was voicing my low opinion of ADT and such in general. Your idea might work in the burbs for sure, but only if your neighbors actually like you

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

My house can't really be suddenly invaded, unless it's someone the dogs know. If anyone pulls up my driveway I hear them most times, even when I am sleeping. Gravel is noisy, and there is not a lot of crappy noise here in the woods.

I was voicing my low opinion of ADT and such in general. Your idea might work in the burbs for sure, but only if your neighbors actually like you

And therein lies the crux of the matter. Even petty thieves thrive when the idea of community has all but disappeared and people are prepared to simply turn the tv up if they hear a commotion beyond their personalised boundaries.

If burglars knew they couldn't sneak around anywhere without tripping some alarm within a neighbourhood, they'd quickly start looking for an easier way of making money. If violent home invaders knew that they'd not only have to deal with those inside the homes they'd targeted, but also have to deal with everyone within a 100 yds being outside waiting for them, even with the availability of guns to make them even more of a threat, they'd think twice about committing such a crime if they thought they might have to take part in a massive shoot out just to get away with a flat screen tv and some bling.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join