It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea planning "high-level" nuclear test

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

North Korea planning "high-level" nuclear test

www.cbsnews.com

North Korea is warning that it is prepared to conduct a nuclear test and carry out more long-range rocket launches.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/24/2013 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
wow.

In a statement carried Thursday by state media, the National Defense Commission in Pyongyang threatened to wage a "full-fledged confrontation" against the U.S. for what it calls continued hostility

The declaration follows the U.N. Security Council's condemnation of North Korea on Tuesday and expanded sanctions against the regime for launching a rocket in December. North Korea said the launch was a peaceful satellite mission, but the U.S. and others say it was actually a test of long-range missile technology

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

North Korea’s missile capabilities

The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously to adopt a resolution condemning a North Korean rocket launch as violating a ban on missile activity. But experts say Pyongyang is years away from developing reliable missiles that could bombard the American mainland. A look at North Korea’s missile arsenal

[

Development

Scud

up to 500 miles (800 km)

Single stage, liquid-fueled missiles. Accuracy is reportedly considered extremely poor. Ballistic missile programs in Pakistan and Iran were built on Scud technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Theodore Postol wrote in 2009. Some versions of this missile are also called Hwasong in North Korea.

Rodong

1,300 kilometers (800 miles)

U.S. bases in Japan are the likely target of this medium-range missile, according to Seoul’s Institute of Foreign Affairs and National Security. Rodong is closely related to Iran’s Shahab-3 and Pakistan’s Ghauri II (Hatf V), according to the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies. The similarity is considered strong evidence of the countries’ collaboration, and of North Korean sale of technology and missile equipment to others. The North Korean name for the missile is Hwasong.

Musudan

Up to 1,800 miles (3,000 km)

North Korea has deployed this intermediate range ballistic missile since 2007, according to South Korea’s Defense Ministry. Unveiled in 2010, is believed to have used Russian SS-N-6 submarine-launched ballistic missile technology for the mobile, land-based missile, according to the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies. It reportedly is liquid-fueled with one or two stages. Accuracy is unknown.

Taepodong-1

1,550 miles (2,500 km)

North Korea launched the Paektusan in 1998 and claimed to have successfully placed a satellite into orbit, but South Korean and U.S. officials say the launch ended in failure. Still, the launch shocked the world because it went well beyond North Korea’s known capability at the time. Both lower stages are liquid-fueled, with a potential solid-fuel third stage, according to the Federation of American Scientists. Accuracy is reportedly poor, with no meaningful strike capability. North Korea calls its model the Paektusan-1, a carrier rocket named after the highest mountain on the Korean Peninsula, Mount Paektu.

Taepodong-2

4,100 miles (6,700 km)

A three-stage rocket, the first two stages are liquid-fueled, while the third is believed to be solid-fueled, according to FAS. Iranian engineers reportedly observed a secret 2006 launch that the U.S. and South Korea say fizzled soon after liftoff; North Korea has never acknowledged the launch. U.S. officials say North Korea’s cooperation with Iran is extensive. Iran’s Safir space launch vehicle is based on the same North Korean ballistic technology used for the Taepodong, Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Theodore Postol wrote in 2009.

Advanced Taepodong-2

6,200 miles (10,000 km)

Experts in the U.S. and South Korea have dubbed the missile version of the Unha rocket that North Korea launched on Wednesday an “advanced” Taepodong-2. However, experts question whether North Korea has mastered the technology needed to shrink and mount a nuclear warhead on the missile.

editby]edit on 23-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Really??

I think someone is taking a little gamble. Can't see how, unless someone has been naughty and supplied the whole box and dice? Ahem?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Further more, How the hell are they going to do this? Logisticaly it's nonsense.

"full-fledged confrontation" against the U.S

That is?
edit on 23-1-2013 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Its sounds like sabre ratteling, but it will get interesting if they successfully test a nuke..

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Considering there have been 2 nuclear tests before this, making this the third I'm not exactly sure what you are saying by imagine if they get one.

North Korea has nuclear weapons, they have for some time. This will be third major test to make the news, and I have to say I'm not impressed.

With the launch of their most recent satellite I was on their side, advocating N. Korea has every right to space exploration.

HOW EVER!

This really hits too close to home. I can not for the life of me, believe N. Korea is up to any good. A proposed imminent nuclear test, oh and we are going to test more rockets... No, you are planning to test missiles. At this point, if any intervention is taking against any high altitude launch of any vehicle I would not disagree.

It's a big leap from putting a satellite in space to using it to launch an Intercontinental nuclear strike, but the tests they could be performing could be entry vehicle tests which is unacceptable. North Korea has been a regional problem for over 60 years now, and I don't think it would be right to make them a potential world threat. Not that the Chinese couldn't just give North Korea ICBM's and re-entry vehicles.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I saw a banner across the top of CNN stating this a few minutes ago as well however it has since been taken down. It also said that the missle test will be "aimed at the US".

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yeah, I reckon you're right.

Every six or so months ....

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Armadall

If that is true, all hell will rain down on NK.

They really do not have a clue. A lot of itchy trigger fingers in the USA for NK.

Sure, China will beat it's chest, but any direct aim at USA will end up with big time pain in North Korea.

It won't ever happen, just another dummy spit by fat boy.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

well Im embarrassed. I did not know they had successfully tested one.

Gonna go hang my head in shame

i changed the op

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
CNN has the full story up now, and they are claiming that NK says this will be "a part of a new phase of confrontation with the United States."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I wouldn't worry too much, it was underground and the device was probably the size of a house. They do not have the tech to neaten it up so it fits on the pointy end of a missile. (Yet). However, that not saying someone has given them one as a present. (Possible).

Actually using one is a whole new bag, you really need many, because the realisation suddenly sets in after the release of the first firework that your country is about to be wiped off the map.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Don't hang your head in shame, it's not as common as you might think. Their first test was an estimated .6kilotons, the test in 2009 ranges between 1- 20 kilotons depending on the source you look at. Russia, China, USA, Japan, S. Korea all detected the test, all had seismic readings in relation to the test. It was a significant test, but there is much dispute over the yield of that test.

Any successful detonation is of serious concern, N. Korea isn't a very large country, and they can't waste the land by detonating a device much larger with out serious harm to their own citizens( not that I think they really care).

I'm really starting to wonder with all this heat in the east. China has been making some bold statements against regional countries, specifically japan and by proxy the USA. They made an odd slightly threatening statement towards Australia getting involved in anything. Could be saber rattling, but could be signs of something significant. India has started Drills and warnings for it's people against a potential nuclear war with Pakistan, and now our good ol' Kim is pulling his little boy out for a piece of the nuclear threat. It's just craziness.

I agree with your op, I do not think N. Korea should perform this test. I do not agree with them testing more Rockets, in part before or after this nuclear test. They have lost my sympathy in regards to Rocket tests. You do not cry about economic sanctions over launching a satellite, then warn of an imminent nuclear test a month later. Un, is just as reckless as his father. I can't find any part of me that agrees with this test.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Obama could send in some drones, kill a few civilians.

That'll show them!

*shakes a mockingly angry fist*

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Agreed, I think Un needs a Heart Attack just like his father. Ahem.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Un, his government, his advisers, his military, his entire country grew up under a man who proclaimed he was a god, the best of all men, the most attractive, stylish, powerful, smartest man in the world. Do you really expect anything less? As far as North Korea has been taught they are the best country in the world, the strongest, most advanced, feared and respected. If you were raised that way, would you show any fear in the face of certain destruction? Even if you brought that destruction on yourself?

This reminds me of those videos online of scrawny little kids that think they are cool picking on the "bigger" child, and the "bigger" child tunes them. The exact same thing is almost inevitable if N. Korea keeps up with it's antics. I can not believe the 180 I've taken here. I may not agree with a lot N. Korea has done over recent years, but to a degree I have made an attempt to rationalize or give them a break but I'm fuming. Probably partly in so because I made an attempt to defend their space efforts. This is just 100% bad news, plain as day.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Perfectly put mate.

Don't feel bad, I too (don't tell anyone) was kinda proud to see them get to space. But and it's a big BUT, they can't keep on keeping on, if you know what I mean. Sooner or later the dog will bite.

A country that has no retaliation apart from sanctions does not learn. The peopleof North Korea have lived like this since God knows when, they know no different. It's the leaders that need a swift kick in the Goolies.

edit on 23-1-2013 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
(LEAD) U.S. envoy warns N. Korea against conducting nuclear test

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

SEOUL, Jan. 24 (Yonhap) -- A special envoy from Washington warned Pyongyang Thursday against conducting a nuclear test, minutes before North Korea threatened to carry out an atomic test and more rocket launches directed at the United States in retaliation to toughened U.N. sanctions.

"Whether North Korea tests or not, it's up to North Korea. We hope they don't do it, we call on them not to do it. It will be a mistake and a missed opportunity if they were to do it," said Glyn Davies, the U.S. special envoy on North Korea policy, when asked about the possibility of a nuclear test by North Korea.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
With the launch of their most recent satellite I was on their side, advocating N. Korea has every right to space exploration.

I agree

This really hits too close to home. I can not for the life of me, believe N. Korea is up to any good. A proposed imminent nuclear test, oh and we are going to test more rockets... No, you are planning to test missiles. At this point, if any intervention is taking against any high altitude launch of any vehicle I would not disagree.

Its a touchy subject.. These guys have proven they are loose cannons in the past. But one can understand with the international community against them why they would be doing this. I think they know their day in the sunshine is fast approaching.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Okay....

Is it possible or imminent?

Possible means it could happen.
Imminent means it will happen.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join