It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweet potato redux - more evidence in support of the Polynesian theory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Hey Punkinworks10

I would say no on the idea that the Polynesians came from the NE. I've say the linguistics, mythology and archaeology evidence speak against it.

However that idea might be better looked at in a thread of its own. I apology in advance as my ability to devote time to posting will be limited for the next two months.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
Here is a very good paper on the subject
m.pnas.org...
I still see a glaring flaw I logic, in that they tie all human presence in oceana with the presence of the rat. If the earliest people in the area dis not carry the rat then rat sign would not be present.

Ones uses what common archaeological evidence you have across multiple sites, lapita, rats and pigs, whatever.

Yep and if people suddenly stop using stone tools, pottery and burn their dead and dispose of their ashes in running water they also will 'disappear' in the archaeological record - as long as they don't disturb the soil or alter the environment which shows up in other ways.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Hey Punkinworks10

I would say no on the idea that the Polynesians came from the NE. I've say the linguistics, mythology and archaeology evidence speak against it.
However that idea might be better looked at in a thread of its own. I apology in advance as my ability to devote time to posting will be limited for the next two months.

Hey Hans
Not the north east but northern BC.
But I would have to disagree, the fact that the haida and Tinglit share striking cultural similarities to hawaiians and their origin mythology is almost identical speaks volumes .
Then there is the fact that polynesians share the 9 base pair deletion with native Americans is hard to discount.
Other things that attest to a shared heritage are the penis/vagina mortar and pestle. The use of woven mats as currency and the use of the calabash for food and water storage. In fact the hawaiian calabash is a north American varietal.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Originally posted by Hanslune

Hey Punkinworks10

Hey Hans
Not the north east but northern BC.
But I would have to disagree, the fact that the haida and Tinglit share striking cultural similarities to hawaiians and their origin mythology is almost identical speaks volumes .
Then there is the fact that polynesians share the 9 base pair deletion with native Americans is hard to discount.
Other things that attest to a shared heritage are the penis/vagina mortar and pestle. The use of woven mats as currency and the use of the calabash for food and water storage. In fact the hawaiian calabash is a north American varietal.

North east pacific was what I meant - are you using the materials of Peter Marsh? If so he tends to make stuff up or misquote sources.

Calabashes are of two base types African and Asian - Hawaiian are Asian

It doesn't speak volumes check what PM is claiming with other sources

Radiocarbon dates

Wakashan is related to Inuit it has connection with Polynesian
edit on 26/1/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad
Archaeologists are the most arrogant of all the "professional scientists", they really know squat. Every day they are revising the official story of history.

++facepalm++

There is no "official story". There are widely accepted narratives that are constructed from the best available evidence. The very fact that they are changing narratives in reaction to new evidence, means they are doing their jobs as scientists.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hey there Hans,
While looking around for some info, for a reply to johnnyc's amerindian dispersal thread, I ran across this about calabashes.

In February 2014, the original hypothesis was revived based on a more thorough genetic study. Researchers examined the entire genome, including the plasmid genome and concluded that American specimens were most closely related to wild African variants and could have drifted over the ocean several or many times as long as 10,000 years ago.[10]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The source study goes on to say that Hawaiian calabashes are of the north American variety, but polynesian gourds are of the east Asia variety, and new Zealand gourds are a mix of east asian(Polynesian) south asian(Indian) and American(African).
That kinda throws a little wrench in the works.

edit on 18-8-2014 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
But they also ingnore the fact that of all of the polynesian settled islands, Easter is. is unique in that they never had the pig.
How can that be ? The polynesian pig, along with the rat, the dog and chicken was part of the polynesian cultural "package'. The only answer is that the people who settled Easter island got there before their west polynesian descendants/cousins obtained what was actually a Lapita cultural package in east melanesia.

Well, either that or the pig outrigger canoe sank.

Harte

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

That is very interesting about Hawaii, ties in my long standing belief that the Polynesians would have pushed on from Hawaii and Rapa Nui or the calabashes drifted their.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

But they also ingnore the fact that of all of the polynesian settled islands, Easter is. is unique in that they never had the pig.
How can that be ? The polynesian pig, along with the rat, the dog and chicken was part of the polynesian cultural "package'.

Kia ora.
New Zealand is also unique, then, in that it did not have the pig, or the chicken.
We did, however, gain the rat and the dog.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Or they had a celebratory luau when they landed, not thinking ahead it would seem. However the beach they landed at is both beautiful and seductive and may have said to them "eat the pigs".

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

We also got the kumara (Sweet Potato) and it was grown widely (as far south as Banks Peninsula where I have seen the remains of kumara pits on hillsides) as a staple.

Nothing quite beats roast kumara apart from hangi kumara.

edit on 18-8-2014 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2014 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Here is a very good paper on the subject
m.pnas.org...
I still see a glaring flaw I logic, in that they tie all human presence in oceana with the presence of the rat. If the earliest people in the area dis not carry the rat then rat sign would not be present.

Perhaps the rat arrived without human agent simply drifted on flotsam or driftwood,however we have gone through some threads that connects the isles of the Pacific with the Americas and I doubt those earliest of contacts arrived empty handed.
edit on 22-8-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join