It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic Hurricane Watch 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Howdy Hurricane hunters and trackers! I had mentioned awhile ago in last years thread that someone should get going on the new one for 2013, and no one jumped on it, so here we go.

First of all, here is an an interesting new article about using sound waves to detect wave conditions in Hurricanes. Anything that can help this science is great:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Here are some of the usual weather reporting links:

NOAA Hurricane
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Weather Underground:
www.wunderground.com...

Weather Channel:
www.weather.com...

And here are some of the help sites:

FEMA:
www.fema.gov...

Red Cross:
www.redcross.org...

Gazrok made a Hurricane Prep List. Here is the link for anyone interested:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good luck to everyone this year in Hurricane prone areas.

Peace

edit on 14-6-2013 by Gazrok because: adding hurricane prep list link per author's permission.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Forgot to add the links for past years Watches:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
For those still recovering from Hurricane Sandy, this article just came up that has links for additional aid, and the eligibilty requirements for it. Best wishes to those still struggling.

rivertowns.patch.com...

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Saw this article today about a Hurricane-like event that took place in the Middle East earlier this month, affecting Lebanon and Israel.

100 kph winds and called a hurricane nor'easter type event, the article is about Israel working on passing aid money for their country.

I know its not about the North Atlantic, but thought it worth mentioning.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I was reading Dr. Grey's preliminary Discussion pdf about the 2013 season that he published back in December 2012, and he makes several mentions that this might be an El Nino year which has always had a lot of impact on Hurricane seasons. His main forceast does not come out until April, but here is the link to his pdf for any of you interested:

tropical.atmos.colostate.edu...

And just a cool pic to throw out there of Global Cyclone tracks from Wiki:

en.wikipedia.org...:Global_tropical_cyclone_tracks-edit2.jpg

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
S&F

OP, I hope this thread has very little activity in the coming hurricane season.

Nevertheless, subscribed and will be keeping an eye on the sky when the season begins.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thanks, and I really hope it has little activity as well, unless the hurricanes all stay off shore this year.

A perfect and awesome Hurricane season for me would be like 25 hurricanes, with 5-10 of them Major ones...and Not one of them hitting land or hurting anyone out in the open water.

I love studying them and watching them, yet it is terribly horrible whenever life is lost to these monsters.

Appreciate it.

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I love weather and follow it as much as I can. Especially living up here in South East Mass, with how odd our weather can be all year (example right now for storm Q they're saying I might just get rain to a foot of snow, lol). I look forward to seeing updates on here and hopefully being able to contribute as well. Star, Flag and Subscribed!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stompbox

Thank ya. Until we get closer to hurricane seasaon, I will probably just post weekly some news tidbit about hurricanes. Once the season starts, many ATS'ers stay glued to NOAA and regular updates are usually posted by many.

Hopefully a safe year....

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I'd like to add that it's interesting that some of these big winter storms we've been getting lately are being tracked by hurricane hunters, and some of the storms pressure levels (if I remember right), we're lower than some hurricanes we've gotten.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stompbox
I'd like to add that it's interesting that some of these big winter storms we've been getting lately are being tracked by hurricane hunters, and some of the storms pressure levels (if I remember right), we're lower than some hurricanes we've gotten.

You are correct, but not just barometric pressure, but wind speeds as well.

From wunderground.com:

"The central pressure of the weekend storm fell as low as 956 mb (28.23”) as it approached Nova Scotia, Canada midday Sunday. This compares to “Nemo”’s estimated lowest pressure of about 970 mb."

And

"On the other hand, extremely high wind gusts were observed. Wreckhouse, Newfoundland reported a peak gust of 170 km/h (106 mph). Grand Etang Island, Nova Scotia saw a gust to 161 km/h (100 mph).

All and all, the most impressive feature of the weekend storm was its rapid intensification and extraordinary central pressure. It is a bit surprising (given the storm’s intensity) that more severe conditions were not observed onshore."

www.wunderground.com...

These winter storms have been intense. Category 2 winds.

By comparison, here are the pressures from the most powerful US storms.

Top 10 Most Intense Hurricanes At Landfall (U.S.A)
Rank Hurricane Name Year Category Pressure
1 Florida Keys (Labor Day) 1935 5 892 mb
2 Hurricane Camille 1969 5 909 mb
3 Hurricane Katrina 2005 3 920 mb
4 Hurricane Andrew 1992 5 922 mb
5 Texas (Indianola) 1886 4 925 mb
6 Florida Keys 1919 4 927 mb
7 FL (Lake Okeechobee) 1928 4 929 mb
8 Hurricane Donna 1960 4 930 mb
9 Unnamed (New Orleans LA) 1915 4 931 mb
10 Hurricane Carla 1961 4 931 mb

Carla was not too far off from the recent winter storm.

Btw, that list is from a handy huriccane site that I like:
www.mthurricane.com...

Anyways, totally agree with ya and thanks for adding.

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Some interesting Hurricane things in the news this week, which just shows me how little we really know, especially when the scientists are all disagreeing.

A scientific article came out on Monday saying that storm surge from hurricanes is going to get a lot worse. And of course, Global Warming is to blame.

Personally, I believe the earth heats and cools in cycles, and that if the planet is indeed warming, than that is a natural process.

However, the article assumes the warming to be true.

This graph is from the article, showing Katrina type surging:

When I read the article, my first thought was that they did not consider landstrike hurricanes versus the ones that stay offshore. By the end of the article, they quote some weather experts that disagree on the methodology used to make this article.

Anyway, thought it kinda interesting so I though I would share..here is the link:
science.nbcnews.com...

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Yeah, I remember you saying you'd start this thread soon if no one else did, great job with all the links and info you've got here. Thanks for plugging former threads too there's a lot of good info in them.

In fact I want to bring forward a post I made last year:

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Been doing some reading on and off about a variety of subjects at an equally wide range of sites. I came across this study published in 2010:

African Dust Influence on Atlantic Hurricane Activity and the Peculiar Behaviour of Category 5 Hurricanes

From the abstract:

We identify the formation of Category 5 hurricanes occurring mainly around the decadal minimum variation of African dust and in deep water areas of the Atlantic Ocean, where hurricane eyes have the lowest pressure. According to our results, future tropical cyclones will not evolve to Category 5 until the next decadal minimum that is, by the year 2015 +/- 2.

And looking at the statistics for 2011, we can see that there was not a Cat 5 storm in the North Atlantic, and only 2 Cat 4 storms.

Timeline of the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season

Will be interesting to look back at the end of this season and see if it holds true.

Storms
TS Alberto
TS Beryl
1 Chris
TS Debby
2 Ernesto
TS Florence
TS Helene
2 Gordon
1 Isaac
TS Joyce
2 Kirk
1 Leslie
3 Michael
1 Nadine
TS Oscar
TS Patty
1 Rafael
3 Sandy
TS Tony

wiki for 2012 Atlantic hurricane season

2012 barely had 2 cat 3 storms, so the theory has held true thus far.

Now we are entering into the realm of their uncertainty this year so we could see a cat 5 storm and it would fall within their prediction.

Or it could be a few more years yet (which I ardently hope), before we see such a Monster.

Again, great thread will be watching this closely and should have my weather station up and running by then; gotta get the sensor cluster from the antenna pole at my ex's...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thank you very much, and good luck with your weather station!

Also, I remember starring that post of yours about the African dust. Makes a lot of sense to me, but I wonder why it has not been picked up by more meterologists? I also wonder how, or if, El Nino can affect that at all?

Much appreciate ya stopping by!

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Remember the snow storm that came through in the last week in the US?

Well it has morphed into a storm that goes from the Caribbean all the way to Greenland...with Category 1 Hurricane-force winds.

Here is the article:
weather.yahoo.com...

And a pic, enjoy:

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

A beautiful example of the Coriolis Effect.

It's amazing to watch the repetition of patterns throughout nature.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Thank you for that very interesting video. I am throully injoying it. Going on my second time watching.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Really impressive vid, thank you soo much for that!!!

Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I saw this news article and had to share it as I am a pretty big Beastie Boys' fan, even more so now

"Beastie Boys' Mike D Feeds Hurricane Sandy Victims With Free Food Truck
Rapper steps up to help locals displaced by the storm"

"After Hurricane Sandy left tens of thousands of Brooklyn residents without power or heat, Beastie Boys' Mike D wasted no time extending a hand to his beloved hometown. The rapper quietly began a free food truck called the Rockaway Plate Lunch, which it is still in operation today – and has served over 19,000 meals to disadvantaged residents."

www.rollingstone.com...

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Predicting a busy hurricane season:

"Klotzbach and Gray are predicting 18 named storms, nine hurricanes, and four major hurricanes for the 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season. A typical Atlantic hurricane season averages 12 named storms, 6.5 hurricanes, and two major hurricanes. It is important to note that a major hurricane is classified as a storm at or stronger than a Category 3 storm with wind speeds over 111 miles per hour. In their latest release, CSU is issuing a 72% probability that a major hurricane will hit parts of the U.S. coastline. They are forecasting a 61% probability that a major hurricane will strike parts of the Caribbean in 2013. They believe an active season will develop thanks to an anomalously warm tropical Atlantic and a low likelihood that an El Niño will develop this summer."

earthsky.org...
edit on 24-4-2013 by lasertaglover because: added graph

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join