It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Republican Party seeks to learn from its mistakes—and it wants your help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure where exactly to place this thread, so if the MODS feel it necessary to move please do.

To kick off this week's Republican National Committee's winter strategy session, which will focus in part on how to broaden the party's appeal to women and minority voters, the RNC on Thursday launched a website soliciting ideas and constructive criticism about what the party did wrong in 2012—and what it can do better over the next four years.
SOURCEAnd here's the link for the actual surveySurveyI'm sure most with a critical view of U.S. politics will yawn at this attempt of public discourse. However, I find it somewhat interesting in that the conservative party "at least internally" have recognized some party line flaws.When we talk about political ideology I find myself to be an Independent. There are some attributes of both parties I agree with, and there are some attributes I don't. As this was a critique of the conservative party I limited my criticisms to that side of the spectrum, while making it clear that I had criticisms of the Democratic party as well. While I didn't voice my criticisms of the Democratic party I let it be known there were valid criticisms of that side as well in order to not come across in a partisan manner.My interest now falls to the ATS community. What are your viewpoints on this attempt at public discourse? Is it valid, and if so what are the faults within the Republican party line? Also, what are your feelings on the Democratic party in the same manner?I'd appreciate no political trolling. Let's keep the discourse civil.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

They could appeal to minority voters by saying they will bring more federal funding to cities and end corruption in cities. This will help people in the city, who are mainly minorities still to this day, get out of the city. They could loosen immigration laws. Anything else would be overboard.

IDK about women, I wasn't really aware anyone but pro-choice women had a problem with them. Not all women are pro-choice no far from it. Republicans took entirely the wrong route to represent anti-abortion stances. This is a bad plan. You see, they basically just have to change their attitude. There is no policy they could make to help them there though.

Will they follow through with anything they say anyways?

edit on 23-1-2013 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
i think they have no choice but to look for new ideas..carrying on as per usual would not get them anywhere and imo would actually further decline their support, are they going to really listen?..idk
in reality im not sure there is much difference anymore between rep or dem..they both serve their masters which is not the general public..when there is a change of power not much changes the same sh#t carrys over

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The people in this country are becoming more and more socially "progressive". As a country, we don't care of gay people get married, we think women should have autonomy over their own bodies AND get paid the same as men for doing the same job. We believe in freedom of religion (and I mean ALL religious belief, not just freedom of Christianity), and we want to live in a country that helps those who need it. We support equality and common-sense gun ownership regulation measures.

In other word, we support a balance.

This is the direction of the country. If the GOP wants to remain relevant, they're going to have to let go of the extremist viewpoints and stop trying to legislate against the freedom and equality that this country stands for. That's not going to happen in four years. The people are smart enough to see that publicly changing their positions on these issues is just a ruse to get votes, so they can then put their agenda into law.

The GOP has initiated legislation against women, against immigrants, against gay people, and against freedom. I don't know how they're going to convince the public that they now support the progressive movement of the country. They'll not convince me.

I'm not a Democrat and I have plenty of complaints about them, but at least they're MORE in line with the citizens' viewpoints.

In short, I don't think it's going to work.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I took the survey and said as much. The GOP lost so many moderate votes by completely failing to woo them at all. It didn't help that 2012 was the year of ignorant Republican sound bites either. I recommended they actually make an effort to secure the moderate vote in 2016

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The people in this country are becoming more and more socially "progressive". As a country, we don't care of gay people get married, we think women should have autonomy over their own bodies AND get paid the same as men for doing the same job. We believe in freedom of religion (and I mean ALL religious belief, not just freedom of Christianity), and we want to live in a country that helps those who need it. We support equality and common-sense gun ownership regulation measures.

In other word, we support a balance.

This is the direction of the country. If the GOP wants to remain relevant, they're going to have to let go of the extremist viewpoints and stop trying to legislate against the freedom and equality that this country stands for. That's not going to happen in four years. The people are smart enough to see that publicly changing their positions on these issues is just a ruse to get votes, so they can then put their agenda into law.

The GOP has initiated legislation against women, against immigrants, against gay people, and against freedom. I don't know how they're going to convince the public that they now support the progressive movement of the country. They'll not convince me.

I'm not a Democrat and I have plenty of complaints about them, but at least they're MORE in line with the citizens' viewpoints.

In short, I don't think it's going to work.

Star for you, not that it makes a whole lot of difference. I have the same view of the Republicans as you do, and as a moderate independent filled out their survey expressing these views. We had a very poor slate of Republican candidates in 2012, and in this day and age, that is a sad commentary.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Okay... I filled out the survey. I was candid, honest and pulled no punches. They ask for name, email and zip code up-front. Being in the marketing field I can assusre you they'll match-back on that info to start sending mail and emails. Set you stop watches for the donation requests.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

First they would have to Declare G.W.Bush, Cheney , Rumsfield and many others as War Criminals, and Arrest them all.

They need to Distance themselves from the Neo-Cons, and the Religeous Whackadoodles.

Then I may believe things they may say.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I told them to stop with the social issues crap and if they really wanted small government they should start acting like it and fight to disband the TSA, end the Patriot Act and prevent crap like NDAA from ever hitting the floor.

Unfortunately I know they'll just assume I'm some partisan jackoff acting up and not for a second believe that I'm a republican. Well, I was a republican.

new topics

top topics

join