NYPD says department will begin testing a new high-tech device that scans for concealed weapons

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Holy $hit people!!

If this will be allowed the poor New Yorkers are going to get zapped with radiation on the streets by a machine that would detect a concealed weapon.

Hey New Yorkers out there please do not let them do it. This is getting out of hand already. I think NY should secede from the United States of America because it is being ruled by a dictator. It is unbelievable that we "elect" these people because they are obviously working for someone else.

I so hope this will get stopped before it's too late. If they go with it you can be sure that the rest of the country will follow.

NYPD Commissioner says department will begin testing a new high-tech device that scans for concealed weapons

Get ready for scan-and-frisk. The NYPD will soon deploy new technology allowing police to detect guns carried by criminals without using the typical pat-down procedure, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Wednesday. The department just received a machine that reads terahertz — the natural energy emitted by people and inanimate objects — and allows police to view concealed weapons from a distance.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The device, which tests for terahertz radiation, is small enough to be placed in a police vehicle or stationed at a street corner where gunplay is common

The radiation sterilizing all the poor black people is just a side benefit of course.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

Can we say illegal search boys and girls?
They better have cause to use that thing.

CX

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I can see it now....coming to a street near you....

CX.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Firstly it doesn't emit radiation it receives it from the body.

But I do wonder about the illegal search question.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by whatsecret

Can we say illegal search boys and girls?
They better have cause to use that thing.

The same cause they've been using all these years for stop and frisk.

You're young and black and live in a #ty neighborhood.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

But I do wonder about the illegal search question.

Safety concerns about the scanners have already been raised.

Safety concerns have been raised about DNA damage from terahertz radiation; a 2009 study linked terahertz scanners to possible health dangers. Writing about an earlier version of the scanner tested by the London Metropolitan Police in 2003, The Guardian's Ian Semple also raised possible modesty concerns; a publicity photo obtained by the Daily News only showed a scanned suspect from the side. The scanners aren't the only innovations the NYPD is using to fight crime: Fast Company recently reported on a new NYPD-Microsoft surveillance system partnership and on the NYPD's iPhone app.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

They do blast you with lasers:

The detector works by zeroing two lasers at different frequencies on a target. This causes the materials the laser hits to emit terahertz radiation, which in turn emits a fluorescence that is unique to that material as well as detectable from far away.
popsci

I dont know how bad or not bad that is for you. No details on the strength or type of laser.

How Terahertz Waves Tear Apart DNA
edit on 23-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My black friends used to call it "Walking while Black" when they got stopped for no reason.
Sigh. I can just see a cop behind a 1 way glass with this thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Who cares if our babies come out mutated!
At least we'll be safe.
Thank you Commissioner Kelly,
Batman would be proud of you.
Now if you could just create the instant ethical behavior pill.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I dont know how bad or not bad that is for you. No details on the strength or type of laser.

There are reasons to believe that it may be damaging.

How Terahertz Waves Tear Apart DNA

But what of the health effects of terahertz waves? At first glance, it’s easy to dismiss any notion that they can be damaging. Terahertz photons are not energetic enough to break chemical bonds or ionise atoms or molecules, the chief reasons why higher energy photons such as x-rays and UV rays are so bad for us. But could there be another mechanism at work? The evidence that terahertz radiation damages biological systems is mixed. “Some studies reported significant genetic damage while others, although similar, showed none,” say Boian Alexandrov at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico and a few buddies. Now these guys think they know why. Alexandrov and co have created a model to investigate how THz fields interact with double-stranded DNA and what they’ve found is remarkable. They say that although the forces generated are tiny, resonant effects allow THz waves to unzip double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication. That’s a jaw dropping conclusion.

EDIT: oops never mind, I see you already read it.
edit on 23-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, how is this even allowed? So basically wether you are carrying a gun or not, they most likely will scan you "just to be safe" and I bet they wont have to notify you of this either.
Appalling

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This idea seems very wrong at ever level of thinking. I think this is unreasoned to say the least. The ones who started this debate should be challenged on moral grounds and restricted from the reigns of power for eternity for all of our sakes.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
t-wave technology is very dangerous to liberty and should be discussed quite openly and the public needs to be informed so they know just how dangerous to liberty this issue is.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
When will the people of cities like new york say enough is enough and just leave? No people, no city....

new topics

top topics

join