It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make parents tell school if they own guns! Proposed Bill in MO.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Think gun owners rights are not being chipped away at? Sure they have not called for an all out ban yet...but just stick around and see how far all this goes.

ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - Ever since the horrific school shooting in Newtown,Connecticut,gun control has been a hot topic. Now comes word of a Missouri lawmaker who wants any parent who owns guns to notify their child's school.

The principal of Brentwood High School says the information may help the police more than the school district and what about blaming a parent for guns in their house they don't even know about?

So is this info for the school or the police?

Source

Slowly ever so slowly....chipping away

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Simple answer "i sold my guns"

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
How are they even justifying the need for this information? Adam Lanza didn't even go to the school he massacred, so the school having knowledge of the students' parents' guns would have been irrelevant. This is getting more and more out of hand all the time.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

"It encourages parents to make sure they store their guns safely in their home, it also gives the school districts the opportunity to help encourage gun safety in the community and in the household," says the Senator.

How does being forced to notify the school you own guns ensure they are properly stored and locked up?

There are a bunch of steps missing there.

Is the school going to inspect your home?

Seems to me they just want to flag the kids who may be able to access a firearm.
edit on 23-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Explanation: S&F!

How about the State force parents to homeschool their own kids and this whole issue would go away!

It would ALSO save a huge amount of revenue.

Personal Disclosure: One can not parent properly by being at work and being absent from ones childrens lives!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

Even more simple- NONE OF YOUR D**N BUSINESS!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Let's just say for a minute this passes....and I tell the school that I own 2 ar-15's and 4 handguns...how much we willing to bet, someone shows up at your house to make sure they are secure?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It should be on the gun owner to responsibly secure or not secure ones firearms.

No small children? live alone? why lock them up.

Once you get a firearm that's their choice to make sure people living in the home know right and wrong and good and bad, or else that gun shouldn't walk through that door, or leave it with a irresponsible person.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Kids being kids you could just do a lesson on American history and just ask a question like 'whos mummy and daddy own guns like the did in the 1700s' and just watch the tykes as they raise their hand and you'd probably get a true answer and just job done

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
it starts slowly...easy place to start is 'for the protection of the children'

frogs in the kettle man, frogs in the kettle.......

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by clearmind

I don't that is any of the schools business but i know why they would want to know.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Bill won't pass in Missouri - they also introduced a bill to disregard all future federal gun laws as well.

What develops will be something in between.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

"I am not trying to take away the gun rights of any parents or any other citizens I believe in the second amendment," says State Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal.

"I agree with it, we need to know because a lot of parents aren't governing their homes properly," says parent Danaelle Stidum.

I don't own a gun and my children are well beyond school age, but these two statements make me uneasy.

First off, who is going to determine if people are "governing their homes properly"? The school? The police? A court?

If there is a law being proposed, there must be a penalty, otherwise a law would be unenforceable. What would be the penalty for failing to notify the school that you own a gun? Who is going to enforce that penalty? Neither the school nor the police have that authority. It would have to be a judge. I suspect that the penalty would be a hefty fine.

The Senator says she is not trying to take away gun rights, but it sounds to me like an attempt to fine gun owners.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
it starts slowly...easy place to start is 'for the protection of the children'

frogs in the kettle man, frogs in the kettle.......

That is exactly the point I was thinking from all this.

and we all know where it ends up

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

My kids are grown and I don't live in Missouri, but what I taught my kids when they were young may come in handy for some of you folks with school aged children, because if this passes and you don't answer their questions to their satisfaction- they will grill your children!

From the time my kids were able to make sentences we always drilled into our children that anytime someone (especially adults) asked them any questions about anything mommy or daddy do at home or have in our home that they were to tell them "That is grown up business and you need to ask them yourself!" Various times I was told by adults (the grandparents, teachers, girl scout leaders, etc.) how amazed they were that our children did not "spill their guts" like all the other kids when they were asked questions about anything to do with us or our household. In fact the girl scout leader asked what my secret was as she wanted to use it with her kids.

If you have young children it is my advice to start teaching them to refer any adults who ask them questions about what mom and dad may or may not have to ask mom and dad themselves. It's not paranoid if they really are out to get you!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The 14th Senate district is North St. Louis County, pretty diverse area, and I doubt that her own constituents would even support this. The bill will not make it out of committee, as it is not enforceable and very much unconstitutional. Missouri is still guided by the rural areas which is most of the State. Fear not, nothing will come of this. Missourians don't much care for the nannies that on occasion find their way into the legislative bodies.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I used to think there was no way stuff like this would ever fly....but now we live in the days when a dr. Can ask about guns.....so nothing would shock me

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
She even stated to local news channel 4 she doubts she will get support for this bill so yet another government waste of time and taxpayer dollars

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
Missouri is still guided by the rural areas which is most of the State. Fear not, nothing will come of this.

Indeed we have our two Democrat urban strongholds in KC and St. Louis but thankfully they don't dominate the States other residents like happens in so many other States. In some States - Nevada for example one need only win Clark County - which is how Reid stayed in power. Every other single county in Nevada voted against him - yet there he sits.

Originally posted by Witness2008
Missourians don't much care for the nannies that on occasion find their way into the legislative bodies.

Something I noticed about the politics our County (I live in NW MIssouri) in particular. People tend to favor Democrats for local office for everything except Sheriff - there has not been a Democrat Sheriff in over 50 years. However, a Missouri local Democrat is pretty conservative in the rural areas - pro gun, anti-nanny types. Likewise, they don’t take to Democrats in the White House.

I think Claire McCaskil would have been gone if Todd Akin had not been her competition - she has voted for Obama's crap against the will of the majority for her entire term. Republicans have no one to blame but themselves for that mess. He should have bowed out and let someone with more common sense run.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This actually started a long long time ago with the war on drugs. My kids came home one day and told me i was on drugs and the teachers had asked them if i was in so many words. I smoke cigarettes and nicotine is a drug so they equated that with drug use. Schools are already well practiced at digging up information about parents from their pupils. Well intentioned? Maybe. Intrusive? Definitely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join