Huge Amounts Of Data Can Be Stored In DNA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

What makes this so interesting is that there are already all kinds of information stored in DNA, and even "error fixing" They say one of the great epochs of evolution is the melding of bio and tech. Just think what this could
mean to computer, specially as we develop quantum computers.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I thought that was the point of dna

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
Star and Flag for OP, I first read the BBC news thread about this on my iphone though no posting of links is necessary as you can easily find this story over most any internet news site. And these are my own thoughts that will be conveyed.

Reading that they have now been able to "Code" DNA to store data sparked a thought in me, I'm having a hard time shaking.

So we can code DNA what about extracting the " Junk Data " that I always hear about. Does this Junk DNA actually hold information from our ancestors?

Think about the scene from the Matrix when he first learns Kung Fu, did they not encode his DNA to recall what was downloaded into Neo?

Just a thought, prolly nothing but a thought in the wind I had, anyway that's my first forum post

Thaks for the first effort, and a star for the point! If the old saw "God don't make
no junk.." is true, i wonder how much of the "presently extraneous" DNA we have
floating around in there is actually being used in ways we can't discern yet:
maybe on the order of 17% of our present average brain utility. Present company
no offense at all intended, maybe there's room in there for a lot more of us than
we presently know. By the way welcome to the fray!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
biological computers are the future of computers, ive been telling people this for years, mimic nature, we are the super computers!!!
edit on 23-1-2013 by bluestorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
This is awesome.

Makes me want to play Assassins Creed.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Very interesting... Being that i know very little about genetics and such.... Couls this be used to treat people for illness or to "reprogram" them? I am assuming these experiments were done on genetic materials which were removed from a body of some sort and my mind goes right to the thought, "what happens when that genetic material is re-introduced into that body? Assuming that the immune system would accept it what effect if any would it have?

Then my mind wanders...havent there been some discusions about how we were all programmed like computers anyhow?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Does not surprise me at all personally.

We contain so much in our dna that some of us know things we ought not know.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This reminds me of a Star Trek next generation episode. When the different races spaed across the universe to untangle a mystery found in DNA. Leading them to the creators of all life in the universe.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I have long held the view that DNA will help unlock the mystery of life and consciousness.

Watch this interview with Graham Hancock, he makes some assertions that are extremely interesting.

This is one area where we rely on the academic institutions and government knowledge, capital, facilities and honesty (or lack of it) to find the truth.

And if its as strange as we suspect, we will never learn the truth from our modern compartmentalized intelligence apparatus and bankster money masters.

I am certain we have been genetically manipulated at some point in history.

Bring on the truth!

Edit- In regards to the video, keep watching he covers DNA in the middle.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Soapusmaximus because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is cool,if they/we could combine this with quantum computing the results would be gnarly!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
Star and Flag for OP, I first read the BBC news thread about this on my iphone though no posting of links is necessary as you can easily find this story over most any internet news site. And these are my own thoughts that will be conveyed.

Reading that they have now been able to "Code" DNA to store data sparked a thought in me, I'm having a hard time shaking.

So we can code DNA what about extracting the " Junk Data " that I always hear about. Does this Junk DNA actually hold information from our ancestors?

Think about the scene from the Matrix when he first learns Kung Fu, did they not encode his DNA to recall what was downloaded into Neo?

Just a thought, prolly nothing but a thought in the wind I had, anyway that's my first forum post

Hmmmm..... you just gave me a thought... If one could store and then retrieve, then it seems one could also recall memories of past events and effectively erase them by not returning them.
You might even do something similar to 'freejack' the movie, transferring and exchanging information....
So who's going to do this? A government organization, or big pharma? Let me know how that turns out...lol.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

Another movie in the same category you mention is "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". If DNA has the capacity to hold memories, then erasing or adding memories is only a pill away. Or a food additive away.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Says its stored the same way as computers store things seems to me like we're getting closer to finding a way to becoming more computer like. There is already a plan in way for human avatars to replace human body for immortality reasons and this seems like a good start.

Also it's amazing that our DNA is capable of storing different information shows how easily capable we are of adapting and how much information we can handle.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This seems a really interesting new tech.

What i still do not get is how it is done technologically?
Can anyone explain how you can store the information in DNA?

I know there are possibilities to alter DNA by crossing, which is done with plants and animals.
But completely new information? Would like to know.

As well, if it is possible to alter DNA, it should be possible to fix about anything, from eye, skin, hair color to implementing superpowers (add some of Usain Bolts DNA for speed, mix a bit of tibetan DNA for high concentration of red blood cells, etc) , or am i wrong on this?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Sorry, DNA-double helix caused double post..
edit on 24-1-2013 by svetlana84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84
This seems a really interesting new tech.

What i still do not get is how it is done technologically?
Can anyone explain how you can store the information in DNA?

I know there are possibilities to alter DNA by crossing, which is done with plants and animals.
But completely new information? Would like to know.

As well, if it is possible to alter DNA, it should be possible to fix about anything, from eye, skin, hair color to implementing superpowers (add some of Usain Bolts DNA for speed, mix a bit of tibetan DNA for high concentration of red blood cells, etc) , or am i wrong on this?

I know they use viruses to alter DNA in research situations (probably not all the time, but I'm not an expert).

A virus isn't alive. It's a capsid with a fragment of DNA inside and "sites" that are a specific shape to fit a similar shape like a puzzle piece on a specific type of cell (e.g. a skin cell). When the virus latches onto a skin cell it "injects" the DNA fragment into the host cell. This host cell now manufactures whatever the DNA tells it to. In the "wild" the host cell would now construct more viruses to alter more cells, in research they can use the virus to inject whatever they want it to into the cells.

I don't really know how they store information in DNA, but it would probably just be encoded like other simple codes.

For example, the base pairs that make up DNA are adenine, guanine, cytosine, and tyrosene or A,G,C,T. Now, DNA is made up of pairs of these nucleotides or base pairs. A always goes with G and C always goes with T. The DNA is just a long string of these nucleotides (only one of the pairs is usually written for brevity). A certain sequence of base pairs codes for different proteins in the body. For example, a stop codon, or sequence that indicates the end of a protein might be (is? I'm going from memory) CATGTATAC. I Could see you being able to use this to just make words. A might be the letter "A". AA might be the letter "B" and AAC might indicate a space or a period. You could just encode whatever you wanted to encode.

I don't know the method by which they "construct" DNA.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

This reminds me of that Mickey Mouse story The Magician's Apprentice.

I'm a computer programmer by trade. It seems obvious to me that nature has all the best programming tools. Which then makes you start to wonder...

Is it all a marvelously resilient program or is it viral gray goo evolving? Our DNA infused life that is.

So far every program I've written I've controlled. But all of those programs were contained in machines. I've never tried programming the chemical reality that I also live in. Is there a break code for that?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This reminds me of the Assassin's Creed game series. In the game they say that we all have genetic memory and our history and the history of all our ancestors is recorded in our DNA. They invent a machine that allows them to go back and replay the history of every one of your ancestors that came before you.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
Someone once said to me that he thinks our memory is not stored in the brain but in our DNA. So if we can store information in synthetic DNA, then why can't we store it in our own? Hmmm. All those movies, tv shows and Shakespear's sonnets compiled in ourselves to recall at once. Wouldn't that be something...
edit on 23-1-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

Our memory is stored in the brain. You do not download memory to your DNA.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for the wonderful replies. Very thought provoking indeed. I do like the thoughts about the so called "junk" DNA and I am also fascinated by the past lives being somehow stored in our DNA as well. I think we are at the beginning of something new.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join