It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comp help please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Ok I was on my laptop and got mad other night and shoved it off my bed. It went bump, now when I try to start it, it says bootmgr error cannot boot. I tried using the recovery cd that came with it, it installed fine, then says "complete we need to now restart your comp" and when it does it hangs again in DOS with the "bootmgr cannot boot" What can I do??

Gs

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Make sure the boot order is correct and you've removed the CD from the drive would be a good start

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
you might have loosened a connection to the harddrive when it got knocked, make sure all connections are solid

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Cant help with the current problem but in future I would recommend not getting mad at it and shoving it off things.

S&F simply because Ive never been able to help anyone with a computer problem before, I just popped my helping others with computer probs cherry

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i am not sure with laptops but i do know with a pc you usually get that error when the battery on your MB dies or comes loose

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oops bootmgr is what it sounds like "boot manager" it sounds like your boot manager is corrupt. To fix this you'll need the recovery disk and repair windows. If you don't have it you'll need to download it and burn it to disk as an image and boot from disk then select repair windows.

I honestly can't guarantee that this will fix it but there's a chance it will.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Im normally a comp wiz and have built 3-4 and formatted hd's when they get messed up. But the recovery cd is not working. I am thinking when it hit the floor the hd was spinning and got jarred or something.

Gs

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
im assuming windows 7 or vista:
boot with your windows disk, goto "repair my computer" and run startup repair.
when it finished reboot,

if you still cant boot,
reboot the windows disk, go back to "repair my computer" then start command prompt.
run "chkdsk C: /r"
watch it for any error, if there are any bad sectors that chkdsk cannot fix then your harddrive is screwed up and needs to be replaced

ETA: you can also force window to reinstall only the bootloader,
reboot with the windows disk
goto repair my computer
goto command prompt
then type:
"bootsect.exe /nt60 C:"

you should then get a message such as "bootcode successfully updated"
edit on 23/1/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
What system are you using?

Bootsect re-writes the bootsector of the disk (Ok if the bootsector is damaged)

You use BcdEdit to edit the current boot manger.

Bootrec to fix a master boot record (MBR), a boot sector or a Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store.

You can use bcdboot to create a new boot manager in windows 7 and assign it to a windows system folder (usually c:windows) to make a system bootable. We usually only use that for deploying imaged systems with WIM files using imagex or native boot VHD'd but its very handy if you need to wipe out a boot manager and create a new one because the old one is to damaged to be repaired.

All in all its quite rare that sharp trauma to a hard drive that causes a system to stop working can be fixed with just a few system configuration repairs. A lot of the time the knock will have damaged the surface of the hard drive beyond repair.

Best advice i can give is dont break your toys when you get mad...

edit on 23-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Okay it turns out my hard drive popped out and was barely noticeable so I just seated it and now comp see's it. But... I did a fresh install with recovery cd, it made my damn c drive just big enough to hold recovery stuff and made my d drive 210 gigs. Even when I set my browser to save on the D, it wants to save on C and there is no space! I just want a C drive and nothing else. I don't think I saw a format/partition option on the recovery cd it just installs.

Any idea how to go about this? Ive tried reformatting manually and of course it wont let me because it is my C (recovery) drive. Ive tried disk management and no luck there either. Thanks!

Windows 7 64 home edition btw

Gs
edit on 25-1-2013 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2013 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

top topics

join