It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Panetta removes military ban on women in combat, opening thousands of front line positions

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The first issue is physical requirements and I think that most are in agreement that if a woman wants to serve in combat roles then absolutely no leniency should be given to them as far as what is expected.

The second issue is a little more sensitive, and that is are we as Americans willing to accept the tortures that a woman will endure if captured by say a group of Islamic extremists? I am in no way suggesting by saying that that a woman is not as able to withstand such abuse, but are we willing to accept the outcome? In my individual case the answer is no way! Some may call that sexist but it is not meant in such a way. I guess I am one of the few who feel that chivalry is not dead, and I could not stomach knowing the sick abuses that those types of people would put a woman through.

As much as I know about the culture and mindset of Islamic extremist (who are the focus of most war right now) I don't even think that a POW situation would be in order. I imagine intense torture, all manners of sexual abuse, and then if she wasn't already dead, a very public beheading would be in order. If the American people can be okay with that, and the women can hold up to the rigorous physical requirements for serving in the infantry then why not let them in?
edit on 31-1-2013 by Majiq1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2013 by Majiq1 because: (no reason given)

<< 16  17  18   >>

join