It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers show potential of DNA for storing digital information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
With Shakespeare's help, researchers show potential of DNA for storing digital information

NEW YORK – It can store the information from a million CDs in a space no bigger than your little finger, and could keep it safe for centuries. Is this some new electronic gadget? Nope. It's DNA.

This is one of the most interesting science stories I have read in a long time. This remarkable research has potential for archiving the works of humankind in a very durable medium if it is stored properly. It also has the potential for a method of storing secrets in a form so hard to find as to be near impossible to locate. Talk about a microdot.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I've been reading a lot of awesome things happening with technology and science. It really does seem like the world is about to open not a chapter - but a whole new book!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

I think the ability of humans to use something liker DNA to store our history is of great potential considering the way nature can wipe us out at any time. We need a human knowledge backup that can survive centuries of time without losing data for the future generations.

edit on 23-1-2013 by exitusstatuquo because: edited for small errors

new topics

join