It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report - China Succesfully Tested "Carrier Killer" Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There is some buzz that China has just tested its Carrier Killer missile. If confirmed, this would be a huge blow to the US and other regional navies. The missile can come down on its target at mach 10. There seems to be very little if no defense. To all those who want to cut the American defense budget, they should read this:

thediplomat.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Everything i read about it says it is radar guided. Which means it can be disabled and jammed. So i dont see all the hoopla.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by travis911

No rocket science here. US is still light years ahead of the CHICOMS. The only reason the are where they are at now is because of Clinton/Gore selling them navigation/guidance technology. The article even states the test was shore based and still much, much more testing is needed. This is no different than the propaganda coming from NK.

Dogs on the porch are just that.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I couldn't have said it better myself.
What possible harm could a arms-race do?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Mach 10 huh? Well I guess the tsunami from the splash it causes when it misses could cause some serious damage.

In all seriousness, until it's tested in actual combat it's just more propaganda. Here's hoping that day never comes!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
By the sounds of it at mach 10 even a small error will have it landing 200 yards away so while it may be possible to get a mach 10 ship killer working against a stationary target but out at sea in rough weather will be a totally different thing

I'd imagine the navy has the basic spec's of one and is working to detect and jam it but are not going to say too much until the weapons finalised as theres no point spending billions on something thats only just left the drawing board and probably will have a near complete change of all its parts several times during the testing process

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

the obvious response :

a sgnificant number of ATS members claim to believe that :

the US govt has 20 / 40 / 50 < delete as appropriate > years advanced technology

if this claim is true - why would a chinese missile based on 90s technology pose any threat ?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retikx
Everything i read about it says it is radar guided. Which means it can be disabled and jammed. So i dont see all the hoopla.

A ballistic missile is not guided on the way down, it's a very very fast rock.

The problem for using this missile is getting real-time targeting updates.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The British Navys sea viper system on the type 45 can (allegedly) handle it, providing they can come up with suitable munitions to supplement it, I believe it is a work in progress.
edit on 24/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
China is probably just saying this because of all the fuss about the disputed islands in the area. Our navy`s aircraft carries have been built in with defense systems to intercept missiles. Our ships have 3 layers of defense (far, medium, and close range) that back each other up if the other fails. I say we are fairly safe from these missiles.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Highly doubt this is actually a valid threat to the US carriers, like said every carriers has 3 layers of protection and is in the middle of a battle-group which they will probably intercept it before the carrier needs to do anything.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

The missile can come down on its target at mach 10. There seems to be very little if no defense.

Beam weapons can take this out no problems. US has been working on beam weapons along time now and we can only guess what they can use rollout if required.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

Lol, at that speed any action of avoiding the missile by the carrier will be null...

In any case I would lunch more than one (it would pay out fine) and probably add the same number of cheaper decoys. There must be active defense systems than can take a number of them out lazer and antimissile fire (even a simple wall of lead) that actual defenses are capable of putting in the air that will work, the question is about numbers and angles of attack...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Noshir Gowadia was an Indian Engineer that Northrup Grumman got a VISA for to bring into America and work on building the B-2 bomber and other classified projects.

Noshir Gowadia GAVE China the blueprints for the B-2 Bomber. He didn't stop there.....using the stealth technology he learned from us....HE DESIGNED CHINA A STEALTH CRUISE MISSILE TO DESTROY OUR AIRCRAFT CARRIERS.

And the whole time he was getting paid by America.......Pretty stupid to bring in foreignors to work on America's super secret stuff isn't it?

Not only does China now have Stealth Cruise missiles.......they've been building their own B-2 bomber...and now know how to stop ours from entering their airspace.

en.wikipedia.org...

China's got a good chance to defeating America thanks to him......and Northrup Grumman.....and Congress who let it alllll happen.

new topics

top topics

join